Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default PA Rep to Introduce Bill to Allow Armed Teachers/Staff

This is very good news. If this goes, through, I'll be doing it ASAP.

Lucas is the good bill, but apparently Metcalfe is also introducing one that is just armed guards.

State Rep. Greg Lucas, R-Erie, plans to sponsor legislation that would make it legal for teachers and school administrators to carry weapons in the classroom, provided they are licensed to carry a firearm and have valid and current certification under state law.
    I also didn't know this:

In 1998, a student in Lucas’ hometown of Edinboro brought a gun to a school dance and opened fire, killing one and wounding two others. The body count could have been higher, Lucas said, if not for the intervention of an armed citizen, who used his own gun to stop the shooter.
    More here:

In the upcoming session, I will be introducing legislation to allow school personnel to carry a gun to school if they have been licensed to carry a concealed firearm AND have a current and valid certification in the use and handling of firearms. The current and valid certification would have to be issued under one of the following:
    (1) 53 Pa.C.S. Ch. 21 Subch. D (relating to municipal police education and training).
    (2) The act of February 9, 1984 (P.L.3, No.2), known as the Deputy Sheriffs’ Education and Training Act.
    (3) The act of October 10, 1974 (P.L.705, No.235), known as the Lethal Weapons Training Act.
    (4) The act of December 13, 2005 (P.L. 432, No. 79), known as the Retired Law Enforcement Identification Act.
    (5) Any other firearms program that has been determined by the Commissioner of the Pennsylvania State Police to be of sufficient scope and duration as to provide the participant with basic training in the use and handling of firearms.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: PA Rep to Introduce Bill to Allow Armed Teachers/Staff

the PA sponsorship memo have been flying both pro and anti-gun.
    Several in the house and a bunch in the senate, expect many, MANY more....over the 2013-2014 session.

Rep Lucas 12-28-2012 sponsorship memo

school personnel- Right to Carry
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...cosponId=10367

Rep Metcalfe has two sponsorship memo for now
    12-28-2012
    Empowering School Districts to Provide more Protection
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...cosponId=10359

Rep Metcalfe memo on 12-10-2012
    Regulation of Firearms and Ammunition
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...&cosponId=9883

read about preemption - Former HB 1523 session, that failed to get a FULL vote in the house last session
    2011-12 Proposed law for dealing with Municipalities Violating Preemption Law
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...ption-law.html
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

[QUOTE=libertyof76;2234456]This is very good news. If this goes, through, I'll be doing it ASAP.

Some info on the Edinborough shooting.

http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/19...n-shotgun.html

(Montgomery County)

Isn't this whole matter under the jurisdiction of school boards? Do we need a new law?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    Isn't this whole matter under the jurisdiction of school boards? Do we need a new law?
    The problem is that state law only allows it for lawful purposes, and its an affirmative defense.

So yeah.

(Jefferson County)

Yes.

The "lawful purpose" clause isn't defined, and the only real means to have armed protection is to have a State PSP or municipal officer at the school. To have armed security, corporate, or private police - a judge must sign off on it.

Many school districts cant even afford to change the locks on the main doors, let alone armed/unarmed security personnel. Nor can every community afford to hire enough officers to cover the schools. ...so, this bill would allow the schools another option that wouldn't cost a ton of money - armed teachers.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

As a teacher, the question of added training concerns me. I'm sure there would be some guidelines on what we could carry, but I'm always open to getting a new gun or two. If this comes to pass, I would want to know what additional training would be required, who would give it, who would pay for it, how often it would need to be done, and....................would we get Act 48 and/or course credit for it?

(Montgomery County)

I am all for the good guy with a gun stopping a bad guy with a gun. I am not whole lot sure if teachers are the ones to the do the stopping. Where does Mrs. Smith exactly keep her gun in class? How does she carry it around? What if she misplaces it somewhere during the course of the day? What if she loses it or is stolen? And are you guys aware that we may be set up here. The first incident, and there will be one, involving a teacher's gun is going to become the rallying cry for anti-gunners.

I am all for the good guy with a gun stopping a bad guy with a gun. I am not whole lot sure if teachers are the ones to the do the stopping. Where does Mrs. Smith exactly keep her gun in class? How does she carry it around? What if she misplaces it somewhere during the course of the day? What if she loses it or is stolen? And are you guys aware that we may be set up here. The first incident, and there will be one, involving a teacher's gun is going to become the rallying cry for anti-gunners.
    I'm envisioning iswb concealed carrying, keeping it on your person at all times, and not putting it down anywhere.

(Lancaster County)

How many cops have had there guns grabbed? The training should be written for the school inviment, and those armed personal should be kept confodentional, and not just limit to teachers, office or other staff could be armed and anywhere in the building.