Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Tioga County)

Default New Resident LTCF

Hi I'm Justin. I'm sure this has been asked but all I have is my phone right now and the forum search function doesn't seem to be working on my mobile browser. I've been working in Tioga county for a couple years but I only just moved here and changed my drivers lisence over in December. I tried to get my LTCF but was told I needed to be a resident for at least one year. Is this accurate? Is there nothing I can do to speed this up? I'm in Wellsboro in Tioga County. Thanks for any help.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: New Resident LTCF

That is not accurate.

The minute you become a bona fide resident you can get a LTCF. Even non-residents can get one, but they must have a permit from their home state first.

There is no time requirement.

You need to fill out the application and apply. Make them take it, and let them deny you the LTCF. When they deny it, appeal it - then sue them. You will win an appeal unless you are prohibited for legal reasons.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

I applied the day after I got my license, in Philadelphia. Wait for them to forget you, go in and don't mention how long you've been in PA. I don't think it's actually a requirement.

A gun store in Bucks told me I needed to be a resident for a year to buy a handgun. I just didn't go back. I've bought 3 since elsewhere. I've only had a license in PA since August but lived in state for over a year, either way it never came up anywhere else.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Northampton County)

Nowhere in the PA UFA or the PSP-created application is there a residency requirement. If there was, how could anyone ever get on out-of-state LTCF (and this does happen)?

Also, there is no requirement for the references to be from the same county, state, country, continent, hemisphere... well you get the idea .

Like was mentioned, I would go in and give them the application. They have 45 days from the receipt of the application to approve the LTCF or give you a certified letter explaining why you were denied. Not following their policy/desires is not sufficient reason to deny a LTCF. If they do, you have fairly straight-forward appeal and lawsuit.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rmagill View Post
    Nowhere in the PA UFA or the PSP-created application is there a residency requirement. If there was, how could anyone ever get on out-of-state LTCF (and this does happen)?

Also, there is no requirement for the references to be from the same county, state, country, continent, hemisphere... well you get the idea .

Like was mentioned, I would go in and give them the application. They have 45 days from the receipt of the application to approve the LTCF or give you a certified letter explaining why you were denied. Not following their policy/desires is not sufficient reason to deny a LTCF. If they do, you have fairly straight-forward appeal and lawsuit.
    yep. good advice there. Go thru with it and let them deny you, then go thru the legal process and smile when you get a nice little check since they are in the wrong. Good luck!