Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default New Member from Chester County w/Questions/

Hi, I am a new member and live in Chester County. I've attended a Firearms Safety Course (not hands on) and have my CCDW. I'm currently exploring handguns/holsters for CC. I'm also interested in a basic non-handgun course in self defense. If anyone can steer me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. For now, I think I will be carrying my husband's 30+ year old S & W .38 Special with different (rubber instead of the stock wooden ones) grips. I also think I'd be more comfortable carrying on body rather than in a purse (I leave mine everywhere when I do carry one). I would also like to take a hands on firearms course to become more familiar and proficient with my gun. I stopped by Targetmaster and frankly found it a little scary. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. (Hope this is the right place for my post) I do go shooting peridically with my husband (retired LEO) at the range where he is a member so I am familiar with the basics of shooting and safety. I just want to learn more!

(Warren County)

Thumbs up Re: New Member from Chester County w/Questions/

I'm near French Creek Outfitters (indoor range) and they offer some type of class, not sure what as I've never taken it. But I'm stopping there on my home after work today and I'll ask. I'm not sure if that would be something above and beyond what your husband can show/teach you regarding carrying. Being a retired LEO I'm sure he has a lot of hands on experience he could share with you. I'll let you know what they say and Welcome to the forum!

I stopped by and they have a NRA First Steps Pistol class, every Tuesday from 5:30-8:30pm. 2 hours of classroom orientation and 1 hour of range time.
    covers: Firearm safety, ammunition identification, shooting fundamentals, Basic 2 handed shooting techniques, safe storage and care and cleaning. Cost $100 per student. That's the only one I know of, but I'm sure other places offer something similar. Not sure about Targetmaster, been in there a few times and I've not been impressed enough to try their range.
    Last edited by chez323; January 3rd, 2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: added info
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Chester County)

Default Re: New Member from Chester County w/Questions/

Thank You Tim!

(Chester County)

My SO and I have been happy with training from this guy.
    http://www.delawarefirearmstraining.com/

He does handgun classes just across the border in DE, maybe 15 minutes past Targetmaster.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Montgomery County)

Welcome to the forum. Whichever carry method you ultimately choose to go with, make sure you can find a range that will allow you to practice drawing from the holster. Good luck.

(Chester County)

Roan...welcome. Good questions. I was a bit intimidated when I walked into targetmaster too, but I became a member there and the range guys are all really cool (as long as you are) and very helpful. I'm finishing up my first full year as a 'shooter.' So I'm fairly new too, but quite comfortable.

You are in the right place and asking the right kind of questions. The forums are FULL of good advice (and of course the usual bullshit blustering stuff..try to ignore that). Personally, I took the handgun 2 and 3 courses at targetmaster, which were pretty darn good, but mostly because I promised my wife I'd get training. The guy who does it is...good. period. He also invited me for his Advanced Self Defense Handgun (which he doesn't invite all his students) and that course was actually the best....REALLY cool.

I only live about 15 minutes from targetmaster, so it was get over it or shoot a whole lot less. I got over it and have been there about 30 times this year. Good luck and feel free to PM. Oh..I'm guessing you are from out of town? In PA it is called a LTCF (License to carry firearm) not a CCDW.

(Chester County)

Thanks for the information Grip. Soccerdad, My husband and I belong to a local gun club. I just found Targetmaster a bit different in that some of the people there (at least when I visited) looked like yahoos. The members of my husband's club are more seasoned. I can't practice shooting at our range from a closer distance though as I can't go downrange to get closer if other people are there (which is usually the case). My husband is a retired DE State Trooper which is why I refer to my LTCF as CCDW. That is how he refers to it. Everyone here is so nice, and I look forward to learning from you all. RR
    Last edited by Roan Ranger; January 5th, 2013 at 11:53 AM.

(Chester County)

Hello

SCCSFA in Kennet offers some courses.

Personally not a FAN of TargetMaster...they just....not my thing

anyway, not sure what part of CC you are from, but Kennet Club is simple, clean and some great people there.
    Last edited by Vantactical; January 5th, 2013 at 11:38 PM. Reason: this is not facebook

(Chester County)

Check out http://www.directactiontactical.com/ for some training classes. I can highly recommend them and hope to take another 1 or 2 of their classes in 2013.
    Hoplophobia is funny