Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Found primers!

(Berks County)

Default Found primers!

Well, after last weekend's disappointment of missing out on primers at the Reading Gun Show, I figured I'd make the hour long road trip to the only place I know of that has small pistol primers left in stock, Shyda's of Lebanon. I e-mailed them a few days ago just to make sure they still had some in stock. Today when I went they had less than what they had told me a couple days ago. I wasn't going to be picky because I knew selection would be limited. I typically use CCI or Federal primers, and all they had left were a few boxes of Remington and three 1000 ct. boxes of Federal Premium match grade. I was wondering why the Premium primers were still on the shelf and almost everything else was sold out, but after asking the clerk he said mainly it's because of the price difference (only $4 more a box). So I walked out with 2000 Federal Premium primers at $31.99 a box, plus a gift card I used so really I only paid for one box. Would have gotten the 3rd box, but they limit you too 1000 per person, and I was with a friend who was willing to get the second box for me and I paid him back.

Just thought I would share. I know people are on the hunt for them everywhere and every place I've checked is out of stock or on backorder until who knows when. Was glad to find them at a decent price, especially seeing as they're premium match grade.

One question though. Should I expect any difference in how they shoot since they're premium grade verses the regular Federal Champion primers that I normally use? The clerk said that basically they're just a slightly better quality primer. I'll only be using them for target shooting so I'm assuming they'll be just fine.

Default Re: Found primers!

I have not noticed any difference between the premium grade and regular grade.

The additional $4 seems to be in packaging. The manufacturers have made a box of primers almost the size of a shoe box! Ok... that's a bit of an exageration but they are much bigger. I preferred the smaller boxes that would fit in the drawers of my reloading room. Not sure why the move to large boxes, maybe shops were having a problem with thefts?

(Washington County)

I believe the premiums will perform just fine.

That's a good price also. Locally it's around 33.00 for a brick of CCI SPP.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Franklin County)

Taylor's trading post outside Gettysburg has every size of CCI in stock, 39.99 though .

(York County)

I too just discovered that the trip up to Shyda's was well worth the drive.

I went up on Wednesday and walked out with 6lbs of powder and 4000 CCI primers, (2k lrg & 2K small). They had a limit of 1K per item, (one could only buy 1k of lrg; 1k of small; etc.), so I was real glad my dad tagged along and he got 1k of each as did I.

I was impressed with the place and know I'll be making a trip up there every couple of months. What I saved on powder alone was worth the cost of gas, EASILY!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post

I went up on Wednesday and walked out with 6lbs of powder and 4000 CCI primers, (2k lrg & 2K small). They had a limit of 1K per item, (one could only buy 1k of lrg; 1k of small; etc.), so I was real glad my dad tagged along and he got 1k of each as did I.

I was impressed with the place and know I'll be making a trip up there every couple of months. What I saved on powder alone was worth the cost of gas, EASILY!
    Good for you! I wish I had someone else with me so I could have bought the other box, because like I said I haven't been able to find them anywhere else I've looked. But, I now have 3000 primers and that should last me for quite a while, hopefully until we start seeing them in stock again.

(Bucks County)

I'm glad about 3 months ago I picked up 10k CCI #41 primers. Now I'm on the hunt to find powder. This chap my butt I tell you.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post

What were the prices on powder like exactly? Just some examples would be fine. It'd be a 1.5 hour drive each way for me so I doubt it'd be worth it but I'm just curious.

(Cumberland County)

Shydas is a great place and their prices are some of the best around. Unfortunately they're about an hour from home for me so I don't get there too often. However, it's worth a trip to buy in quantity. Guess I'll have to remember to take a friend next time to double my primer limits.
    NRA Life Member, Mechanicsburg

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by carrguy1 View Post
    What were the prices on powder like exactly? Just some examples would be fine. It'd be a 1.5 hour drive each way for me so I doubt it'd be worth it but I'm just curious.
    I had a look at the powder as well. The prices were noticeably lower than other places. I had a look at Hodgdon Titegroup and Winchester 231 powders since that's what I tend to use. Per pound, Titegroup was around $15 and the 231 I think was closer to $20. That's the cheapest I've found them yet. At my local shop they go for about $18 and $22, and at Cabelas $20 and $25. So yes their powder prices are great, but when I figure in the fuel costs of driving over an hour each way, it's probably just the same for me to buy at Cabelas or my local shop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast