Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Interesting trade...

I'm on the road at the moment, but will post pictures in a day or two...

Over the holiday visit with my mother, she gave me my dad's ammo boxes and told me to do something with them. I pulled out what I could use, then decided to take a few of the things up to the LGS by her house in Ohio and see what I can get. I took a box of unfired .44 Magnum rounds, a magazine for a M1 Carbine as well as one for a TEC-9. These are guns no longer owned by my mom.

I left the LGS with a brass framed replica of a Colt 1851 in .36 caliber...no markings per se, but the cylinder is engraved with a war scene. I don't know much about it, other than I think it's cool, and I think I got a decent trade.

Like I said, pictures will follow, and you guys can help me identify what it is for sure, since I can't find any manufacturer info other than a cartouche and PN XVII stamped in the brass.
    "A free people ought to be armed."--George Washington

(York County)

Default Re: Interesting trade...

Probably Pietta / Uberti.
    http://m.uberti.com/revolvers/army-n...navy/index.php

They are the most common/ easiest to come by, and most have the cylinders engraved.
    Good trade, congratulations.

(Butler County)

I'd say it was a good trade. Black powder pistols are a hoot to shoot. And mean to clean. HOT soapy water works great, then dry and oil.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DClan View Post
    Probably Pietta / Uberti.
    http://m.uberti.com/revolvers/army-n...navy/index.php

They are the most common/ easiest to come by, and most have the cylinders engraved.
    Good trade, congratulations.
    Neither...Although it has the Gardone proof mark (star over shield) and the proper black powder proof mark (star over PN) it doesn't have any other marks but the year mark of XVII, which shows it was made in 1971, and the scene engraved on the cylinder, which also bears the above proof marks. The manufacturer didn't mark it with their mark. There are NO markings on the barrel other than the proof marks.

I'll strip it down sometime today to see if there are marks elsewhere.

This is a used piece with dings on the barrel and brass receiver. It looks as if someone once used it as a mallet at one time, but it isn't that bad.

"A free people ought to be armed."--George Washington

(York County)

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...evolver-Makers

According to the chart on this page, it would appear that you have an Italian made copy dating from ( by the Roman numerals) 1970. I'm sure with a little further searching, the maker could be determined. Good luck.