Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Paletown Rod and Gun Club members - 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    Sorry Bob, but I did warn you and try to steer you to Ridge and Valley.
    By the way, how excruciatingly painful was that to sit through the meeting? I've never actually made it through all the way.
    It was pretty bad. At one point, one of the speakers (the guy who volunteers to cut the grass) whipped out an antique 1911 and started waving it around, shouting "God Bless America!, Allahu Akbar!...which picture would you rather see?" A good point, to be sure, but the gun looked loaded from where I sat.

The only reason I stayed through the whole thing was because I had really hoped to join. The worst part was that during the entire meeting they never acknowledged that it was a membership meeting, or even spoke for a minute about membership. There were about six of us there looking to join, and we all left without attending the social afterwards, despite the promise of (I'm assuming free) beer.

You did warn me though

Regards,

BCB

(Bucks County)

I think it's Blue Church Rd. You pass the farm on left, then the service station on left, go down the hill and the turn is on the left. Be careful though as you turn on Blue Church. Opposing traffic comes over that hill very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    The only way I would ever recommend anyone go to one of their meetings would be if they ... had a hardcore fetish for elderly male nursing home residents
    Now you're speaking my language...

Derek, I have no problem with you, or anyone else I know, name-dropping me. Just don't try and make me suffer through a meeting when you can't be bothered to show up. In the meantime, I recommend you and Bob both to also join us over at Ridge and Valley.
    I really appreciate your understanding, after I left last night I was thinking "oh shit, I'm going to get a talking to" but he was so terse and abrasive that when he tossed my app in his briefcase and told me to sod off all I could muster was "Uh, ok. Have a good evening."

Wow, worst redneck directions ever, but they should be accurate. Or, you can come over with me on Monday, shoot a round of trap and fill out an application.
    I have off this Monday thanks to Dr. King so I would definitely like to shoot some clays and check out Ridge and Valley. It's a little further from Hatfield but the sad thing is, it's still one of the closest clubs to my house. I'm just tired of paying Clayton and Target World's range fees.

~ Derek
    Last edited by Derek; January 18th, 2013 at 10:14 AM.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9206&dateline=1225911  268

Quote Originally Posted by BucksCountyBob View Post
    It was pretty bad. At one point, one of the speakers (the guy who volunteers to cut the grass) whipped out an antique 1911 and started waving it around, shouting "God Bless America!, Allahu Akbar!...which picture would you rather see?" A good point, to be sure, but the gun looked loaded from where I sat.

The only reason I stayed through the whole thing was because I had really hoped to join. The worst part was that during the entire meeting they never acknowledged that it was a membership meeting, or even spoke for a minute about membership. There were about six of us there looking to join, and we all left without attending the social afterwards, despite the promise of (I'm assuming free) beer.

You did warn me though

Regards,

BCB
    I was there and put in an application, I was never told they are not accepting new members, however they don't vote on that until next month. While I understand and respect the emotion and opinions shared, it was painful to sit through it for almost 2 hours. That guy with the 1911 was out of line, if he wanted to make a point with it he should have cleared it before waving it around. I was wondering if I was going to witness a Bud Dwyer moment in person....

There was free sausage sandwiches and beer in the basement after the raffles were done. I remember hearing you outside, perhaps you didn't understand that the applications get voted on next month- as I never heard anyone say they were not accepting new members.

(Bucks County)

[QUOTE=BucksCountyBob;2255109]It was pretty bad. At one point, one of the speakers (the guy who volunteers to cut the grass) whipped out an antique 1911 and started waving it around, shouting "God Bless America!, Allahu Akbar!...which picture would you rather see?" A good point, to be sure, but the gun looked loaded from where I sat.

Crap, I cant believe I missed the one tortuous meeting that may have briefly kept me from falling asleep during one of these geriatric complaint sessions. However, I have a strict policy in place over the last few years to never attend these meetings unless forced at gun point!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by freesoul View Post
    I was there and put in an application, I was never told they are not accepting new members, however they don't vote on that until next month. While I understand and respect the emotion and opinions shared, it was painful to sit through it for almost 2 hours. That guy with the 1911 was out of line, if he wanted to make a point with it he should have cleared it before waving it around. I was wondering if I was going to witness a Bud Dwyer moment in person....

There was free sausage sandwiches and beer in the basement after the raffles were done. I remember hearing you outside, perhaps you didn't understand that the applications get voted on next month- as I never heard anyone say they were not accepting new members.
    We spoke directly with the president of the club after the meeting. He told us that they were already over their limit and would not be accepting any new members unless someone left the club. It was not an announcement, just our conversation with him, so I'm not surprised you didn't hear it...it was a bit loud there at the end with everybody milling around. He told us that it would be two or three months before they would have even an idea if there would be room. He was NOT encouraging in any way. We didn't put in our applications, because frankly, the way were were spoken to didn't make us feel in any way welcome. Between that and the mis-information we were given by another member about the use of AR rifles at the range, you might understand why we made that decision.

I actually was very sympathetic to the emotions (I feel the same way, to an extent, I just have a different way of expressing myself), which is why I offered up the advise about going out to the Ruger website and using their mail your elected officials application. My suggestion was not nearly as well received as the 50+ quotes from famous Americans...all of which I have read here in the tag lines of our fellow forum members at one time or another.

I did wonder for a moment (just a moment) whether my desire to join would have been better received if I had unholstered my M&P and thrust it over my head while praising our creator

Quite an evening.

Regards,

BCB

LOL. Happy Sunday all, just enjoying the new P'Town thread here. LMAO!

Modern Rifle Sunday next week after shooting some trap?

Also, I need to renew at R&V, is anyone going to shoot trap there tomorrow? I too have the day off work.

I'm game. What time?
    2pm works best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BucksCountyBob View Post
    We spoke directly with the president of the club after the meeting. He told us that they were already over their limit and would not be accepting any new members unless someone left the club. It was not an announcement, just our conversation with him, so I'm not surprised you didn't hear it...it was a bit loud there at the end with everybody milling around. He told us that it would be two or three months before they would have even an idea if there would be room. He was NOT encouraging in any way. We didn't put in our applications, because frankly, the way were were spoken to didn't make us feel in any way welcome. Between that and the mis-information we were given by another member about the use of AR rifles at the range, you might understand why we made that decision.

I actually was very sympathetic to the emotions (I feel the same way, to an extent, I just have a different way of expressing myself), which is why I offered up the advise about going out to the Ruger website and using their mail your elected officials application. My suggestion was not nearly as well received as the 50+ quotes from famous Americans...all of which I have read here in the tag lines of our fellow forum members at one time or another.

I did wonder for a moment (just a moment) whether my desire to join would have been better received if I had unholstered my M&P and thrust it over my head while praising our creator

Quite an evening.

Regards,

BCB
    I spoke with him also, I realized when I got there that I know him. He didn't tell me that membership was closed or not available. If I go back next month and sit through another meeting like that and don't get in I will be pissed and let them know it.

I am sympathetic to the emotions as well, but if you're going to pull out a firearm to make a point like that you'd damn sure better show the audience that its safe first!

(Bucks County)

Anyone up for some NON-trap shooting this weekend? I'm thinking the normal day/time.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast