Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default 'Speak English' Signs OK at Philly Shop

Maybe it should have read press 1 for English, Press 2 for English Press 520 for Mexico

http://www.examiner.com/a-1288954~_S...illy_Shop.html

'Speak English' Signs OK at Philly Shop

Filed under: PHILADELPHIA , PATRICK WALTERS , English Only Cheesesteaks

The owner of a famous cheesesteak shop did not discriminate when he posted signs asking customers to speak English, a city panel ruled Wednesday.

In a 2-1 vote, a Commission on Human Relations panel found that two signs at Geno's Steaks telling customers, "This is America: WHEN ORDERING 'PLEASE SPEAK ENGLISH,'" do not violate the city's Fair Practices Ordinance.

Shop owner Joe Vento has said he posted the signs in October 2005 because of concerns over immigration reform and an increasing number of people in the area who could not order in English.

Vento has said he never refused service to anyone because they couldn't speak English. But critics argued that the signs discourage customers of certain backgrounds from eating at the shop.

Commissioners Roxanne E. Covington and Burt Siegel voted to dismiss the complaint, finding that the sign does not communicate that business will be "refused, withheld or denied."

In a dissenting opinion, Commissioner Joseph J. Centeno said he thought the signs did discourage some customers.

"The sign appeared immediately above another sign that had the following words: 'Management Reserves the Right to Refuse Service,'" Centeno wrote.

Geno's and its chief rival across the street, Pat's King of Steaks, are two of the city's best known cheesesteak venues. A growing number of Asian and Latin American immigrants have moved into the traditionally Italian neighborhood in recent years.

Vento had threatened to go to court if he lost. His attorney, Albert G. Weiss, said he was "pleasantly surprised" by Wednesday's decision.

"We expected that this was not going to go our way," Weiss said.

In February 2007, the commission found probable cause against Geno's for discrimination, alleging that the policy discourages customers of certain backgrounds from eating there.

The case went to a public hearing, where an attorney for the commission argued that the sign was about intimidation, not political speech. The matter then went to the three-member panel for a ruling.

W. Nick Taliaferro, the commission's executive director, said he would not appeal.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: 'Speak English' Signs OK at Philly Shop

So the liberals in philly go tripping all over themselves to deny a citizen his first amendment and property rights, and then, what do you know, after the citizen spends a small fortune in legal fees the gov't jackasses were wrong after all. I'm guessing the gov't won't be apologizing (or paying his legal fees?).

What a total waste of time and money. Commission on human relations panel? How many cops could we hire with the money the city wastes on paying for that? If it isn't obvious, I'd rather have more cops.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post

What a total waste of time and money.
    You are kidding right? He got SO much publicity out of this, there is no way he could have afforded it all.

Also, the sign is a sham, I have ordered in spanish AND in spanglish there, and they always took my money.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Huh? I liked Spanglish.... What was the problem with her?

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    You are kidding right? He got SO much publicity out of this, there is no way he could have afforded it all.

Also, the sign is a sham, I have ordered in spanish AND in spanglish there, and they always took my money.

I'm sure this guy made a fortune because of his sign. Hell I've seen him on TV News shows multiple times, not about his sign, but as a "consultant" or whatever you want to call them.

(Delaware County)

I know this is a difficult topic but my opinion is this is America and everyone should learn how to speak English, it may not be your main language but you should be able to know some English to communicate.I also want to say I welcome anyone who wants to be here in the USA legally and who wants to work for a livin.
    As far as Geno's I support them more with supporting Daniel Faulkner than the english sign.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post

I meant waste of time and money by the city. The commission on human relations? They prosecute business owners who state a preference to speak english with their customers? In common parlance, WTF.

What's next is a law that every business owner learn 17 languages.

The whole concept of the need for yet another city commission is another patronage dumping ground and a complete and total sham waste of public resources.

(Philadelphia County)

Geno's can post whatever they want and continue to sell the same lukewarm Grade D beef until the cows come home but should be removed from the guides the city hands out to foreign tourists. I don't want them getting the impression that Geno's makes a real cheesesteak.

(Chester County)

I'm ok with that sign being posted. I'm all for the idea that America is the great melting pot. However, I think that in public you should speak english. The immigrants who came over through Ellis Island had to learn english in order to assimilate into American culture and I expect that nothing should change for the hispanic population. Speaking spanish at home and teaching your kids that is fine by me, but there is no reason you should be refusing to learn english.

There's no reason that sign shouldn't be OK. Regardless of your opinion on the matter, the fact stands that it's private property and the owners can post whatever they want and turn away whoever they want. If you're advocating government intervention and regulation of this, then you might as well be advocating the same intervention and regulation of your own property.

If you don't agree with the sign, then don't buy cheesesteaks from them; it's that simple. If enough people don't like the sign and stop going, then the shop goes out of business.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast