Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Nockamixon Firing Range

Anyone have an update? Have they started working on it yet or is it on hold because of the budget issues?

(Bucks County)

Here is the latest as posted in the Courier today (bold is mine)

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loca...n-range-2.html

Reckless shooters threaten range
    By: DALE MACHESIC Burlington County Times

It was a professional dilemma week for me as the outdoors writer for our newspapers. That isn't necessarily a first, although this one was particularly tricky.

Posted on one of the websites for those that need to get out more earlier this week, sorry to those that enjoy these sites, but after the video I saw I'm more than a little disgusted that illegal activity can be posted seemingly by anyone doing anything with no regard for the law.

Aimlessly firing questionably legal weapons at a public range was the gist of the video-recorded escapades. Pointing guns at the camera operator, firing at others while they were down range, firing from multiple points beyond the safety line, shooting the standards from which targets are to be hung, and the list goes on. These imbeciles represent that very small fringe that have somehow gotten their hands on weapons and then demonstrated their complete disregard for any semblance of proper and legal use of them. They then filmed it, which could enable the agenda carriers to use it to give the millions of responsible gun owners a black eye.

The dilemma, to publish the video site or not, was easy to overcome after my anger subsided and after consulting a few close friends. These same friends fully understood why the decision was not an easy one. But the majority agreed that more harm than good could come from making these morons into some sort of mindless celebrities. These geniuses have watched one too many movies where somehow the word bad has a reversed meaning from the one most of us grew up with.

The reason I am even reporting this is that this could have a direct impact on whether the Pennsylvania Game Commission re-opens the public shooting range at Nockamixon.

"State Game Land #157 (Nockamixon) range was scheduled to open this fall. It will not open this year, and an opening date has not been determined. The reason for this change is that we are evaluating a number of options, which includes possible relocation of the range to another location on SGL 157. Evaluating all these options will take time and then cost estimates will need to be developed. With all the other Growing Greener II projects the Game Commission is undertaking our engineers have a huge workload. Because of this, a timetable for re-opening has not been determined," PGC spokesman Jerry Feaser told me this week.

What Feaser didn't reference is the fact that the demonstrations of improper gun use shown in this video are a threat to every gun range across the state.

The public hearings held earlier this year for area residents to weigh in on the PGC plan to re-open the Nockamixon range were very well attended. The majority of the residents were outspoken in their support of the hunters and shooting sport enthusiasts who frequented the range before it was closed for repairs.

They were equally outspoken in their disdain for the very small number of idiots that treated the range like it was the Wild West. They told numerous stories from first-hand experience of shooters firing what sounded to them like automatic weapons. They told of late night trespassers at the range.

What the PGC said in response was, in effect, that they knew of a handful of past rule-breakers and would do everything in their power to prevent these sorts of disruptions to their 'neighborhood'. They also said that power is very limited.

The PGC made it crystal clear that they did not have the funds to patrol the area 24 hours a day and that we would all have to work together to prevent problems like those discussed. The crowds agreed, reluctantly, to accept this at face value. But they asked that their requests be considered.

The antics on the video are proof that one small group of law-breakers could do harm to someone. If that happens, the first party that will be pursued in any and all legal actions will be the PGC.

If they don't have the funds to staff and monitor the ranges 24/7, it's hard to imagine they would have the funds to defend against any catastrophic lawsuits. The options could be simple down the road. Close all public ranges. Or close most so that revenue could be available to staff a few ranges across the state.

As of this week, the PGC still plans to continue its plan to re-open the range at Nockamixon. That's a very good thing. But it will be the responsibility of every shooting enthusiast and hunter in this area, whether you use that range or not, to keep a watchful eye on it and help the PGC officers and state police keep the few away that could ruin it for the rest of us.

October 06, 2009
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Bucks County)

Then why has it been removed from the listing of ranges on the PGC site Also I don't like the Idea that any land paid for by hunters for public use being posted with no tresspassing signs The land belongs to us not the petty officials that treat it as a fifedom

Quote Originally Posted by AZajack View Post
    Then why has it been removed from the listing of ranges on the PGC site Also I don't like the Idea that any land paid for by hunters for public use being posted with no tresspassing signs The land belongs to us not the petty officials that treat it as a fifedom
    I don't think it was removed due to permanent closure but because at this time no range exists. The only thing left is the concrete pad. There is about 10 acres of partially cleared land, trees down and dragged to something resembling piles and such. It appears lead abatement has or is taking place. But I share your concern for the potential it is indeed gone and done. I had many a good day there and miss using the range. One of the reasons I joined Langhorne is because of the SGL range being closed this long and the dark cloud over it's future.

(Berks County)

That video that was being referenced, I saw it on YouTube. It was linked somewhere off of PAFOA, I don't recall where. Absolutely disgusting. Definitely a case where a park cop stopping by would have had a field day. It's also a prime example of why I don't go to SGL ranges. Paletown is only a few miles from the Nockamixon range, and for $15 a year, I can shoot all day and rarely run into anyone else.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    That video that was being referenced, I saw it on YouTube. It was linked somewhere off of PAFOA, I don't recall where. Absolutely disgusting. Definitely a case where a park cop stopping by would have had a field day. It's also a prime example of why I don't go to SGL ranges. Paletown is only a few miles from the Nockamixon range, and for $15 a year, I can shoot all day and rarely run into anyone else.

Here is the thread. http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/733...ibly-nsfw.html

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    I can shoot all day and rarely run into anyone else.
    So....is it the range being sparsely used or is there somrthing about you that keeps people away?

(Bucks County)

Exactly where is Paletown range and how do you apply for membership I would shoot at a gravel pit if they were still available

If you look at the map of all of the SGL ranges, you can see that everything within close proximity to Philadelphia or New Jersey is gone. Roughly 10% of the state lives in Philadelphia, my guess would be that 1/3 of all Pennsylvanians live along the Philadelphia-Lehigh Valley corridor, but all of the open ranges are west.

Too many urban nitwits treating the ranges like video games. Too many New Jerseyans and New Yorkers treating Pennsylvania like Beirut.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by AZajack View Post
    Exactly where is Paletown range and how do you apply for membership I would shoot at a gravel pit if they were still available
    Not sure about Paletown but Langhorne Rod and Gun club is close to you since you are in Fairless Hills.

http://langhornerodandgunclub.org/

If you want to go sometime pm me and we can meet you there.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast