Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Nockamixon Firing Range

"Due to the ongoing work, this range is not expected to be reopened until 2009."

Translated from government bureau-speak: "We haven't started yet, and it's too chilly out now so we're going to wait until next spring - don't hold your breath."

Anyone think this could at all be related to the bid to drill for natural gas in Nockamixon? The one that just recently got shut down?

(Bucks County)

Arrow Re: Nockamixon Firing Range

I posted this on the range thread but thought it would be good to post here too. This was forwared to me from my local Representitive, when I question him on SGL ranges.

"Rep. Clymer, Thank you for your email on the ranges. As you know we have been doing lead remediation on our ranges to get ahead of anticipate environmental requirements. We are also taking the opportunity and reconstructing them to insure the safest environment we can. The best way to inform your constituents is to refer them to our website; www.pgc.state.pa.us. On that page click on state game lands in the left hand column. The second paragraph in the center, click on public shooting ranges. There will be a lot of information including directions below the map. In the map click on the specific range and it will tell you when we anticipate the range being reopened. If you are referring specifically to SGL 157, that one is a little more complicated. We are planning on reopening it in 2009. There is a wetlands there and we have some concerns on the range orientation. We are looking to see if additional safety measures are needed due to proximity to housing areas. We anticipate is reopening in late spring of next year. Hope this answers your question."

(Cambria County)

Ahhh, so that's where they are dumping the deer now. Before then, they were dumping them at the old 200 yard range there. (BTW, does anyone even know there use to be a 200 yard range there at one time?) Good sign that if they switched to dumping carcasses at the 100 yd range, they have little desire to fix and reopen.

Further, what wetlands? The range isn't near wetlands. There is a very small creek about 1000 ft behind the backstop, but that's all. Also, what housing areas? Take a look at Google Maps and then zoom out and find the closest house down-range. The closest would be a mile and a half through thick forest, and on the other side of the Northern ridge of Haycock Mountain. This also questions their "orientation" concern. It sounds like a load of droppings to me.

How did you get info on deer being dumped there? I've been anxiously waiting for this range to reopen and that news does not bode well for my anticipation. And no, I was never aware of a 200yd. range. I too was wondering about the orientation issue since there is virtually no way a shot could hit anything but trees at any trajectory other than 90º west from the firing line.

(Cambria County)

Well, that's what Black Label said. He must have hiked in. I found deer carcasses at the old 200 yd range when the 100 yd was still open. (they were in the area marked "restricted" as you drove in to the range) Last time I hiked the area (probably 2+ years ago) all the tables and backstops were gone, but there were no carcasses yet.

Yea, don't know when the 200 yd got closed down, but it's been a while. (quite a bit of overgrowth) It was up near the entrance, on the right hand side. It was actually a stepped range. It went out to 100 yds, then stepped up a low backstop and went another 100yds to a full backstop. It was oriented firing East. This strip through the trees is all that's left of it. I was hoping someone might remember it when it was stil open.

(Bucks County)

If I remember correctly the fireing line had 2 storys of benches ground level for 100 yds and 2nd story for 200 yds I think that range closed in the late 60's early 70's
    Andy

(Bucks County)

Any update on the range? Have they started to work on it? Any idea when it's opening back up?

(Bucks County)

I strongly suspect the Game Commission is playing us again like when they said it was closing for repairs and would be reopening in a couple of months. That was a few years ago now I will believe it when I see it. They don't seem to under stand that some of us that have stopped hunting still bought hunting licences to support their other programs like ranges and aquriring woodlands for habitat. I will not buy another hunting licrnce untill that range reopens and I have other friends that feel the same way

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the update as depressing as it is. I guess I was hoping to hear they atleast started working on it.

(Bucks County)

According to the PGC website, the range will be finished this spring with new benches, backstops and other safety features. We shall see.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast