Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Taurus PT145 frame size

I'm interested in adding a PT145 (or PT745) to my .45acp collection. That said, my primary carry is a Kimber ultra carry, or occasionally a .357 mag wheely. But, when I find myself in the woods, I rather not carry these "expensive" guns hence the reason I'm looking at the Taurus. I have a PT138 which has been fine, no issues, and wonder if anyone has both a PT138 and PT145 that can tell me if the frame (and gun itself) is basically identical? Gun shops seems to be out of inventory, and I won't order one unless I know exactly what I'm getting.

Part II: I'm also considering the PT745 single stack.. Has anyone been "comfortable" with the PT138 and/or PT145 that moved to the slimmer PT745 and liked it better? Why? Why not?

Appreciate your insight. btw, I'm not looking for a Taurus Vs, "something" else debate, as I have quite a number of Taurus firearms and have had zero issues with all of them, smith any gun correctly, and it will serve you well.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Taurus PT145 frame size

As far as I can tell the pt138 and pt145 are very similiar in size. All the pistols taurus offers in this line seem to be built on the same size frame and have almost identical lengths. The only difference between the 745 and 145 are in width they have the same overall length. the 145 is thicker to accomodate the double stack mags. I have owned a pt745 for a couple of years now and actually love this little gun. Have fired quite a few rounds of different types through it and it has proven to be very reliable. I like the thinner single stack grips personally but a few of my friends think they are a little on the small side. I carry this pistol almost daily and it conceals very easily. Hope this helps a little. Glad to see Taurus come up on a thread and not have someone just bashing them. I also own several other taurus pistols and like all of them.

(Centre County)

Straight from Taurus Website.

Taurus PT138

Capacity: 12 +1
    Weight: 18.7 oz
    Barrel Length: 3.25"
    Height: 4.917"
    Width: 1.232"
    Length: 6.125"

Taurus PT745

Capacity: 6 +1
    Weight: 20.8 oz
    Height: 5.2"
    Width: 1.125"
    Length: 6"

Taurus PT145

Capacity: 10 +1
    Weight: 22.2 oz
    Height: 5.125"
    Width: 1.25
    Length: 6.125"

Looks VERY similer in physical size.
    Between PT745 and PT145, I really see no difference big enough to pick PT745 over PT145.
    I think dementional difference between 2 is minimal, but difference of 4 rounds of 45ACP are substantial difference in term of firepower.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber_45 View Post
    , as I have quite a number of Taurus firearms and have had zero issues with all of them, smith any gun correctly, and it will serve you well.
    Me and you might be the only one's that have a bunch of Tauruses that run good.

This dude likes the PT 745: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL2nrAnE1yY Just from watching it, I wouldn't like it for woods carry, mostly for this reason: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvQRvhEuBd4 The 745 doesn't look like something that would give as good a follow up shot as a 1911 would, and with the hotter .45 rounds I use in my woodsy 1911 (a PT, BTW) the 745 would be a handful. JMHO. Oh yea, the 745 is a lot of punch in a small, lightweight pistol. Just make sure you got no snot on your hand if you got to one arm it.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Me and you might be the only one's that have a bunch of Tauruses that run good.

This dude likes the PT 745: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL2nrAnE1yY Just from watching it, I wouldn't like it for woods carry, mostly for this reason: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvQRvhEuBd4 The 745 doesn't look like something that would give as good a follow up shot as a 1911 would, and with the hotter .45 rounds I use in my woodsy 1911 (a PT, BTW) the 745 would be a handful. JMHO. Oh yea, the 745 is a lot of punch in a small, lightweight pistol. Just make sure you got no snot on your hand if you got to one arm it.
    My friend's wife is a cop in NY, and she carries TCP(pink one too!) as deep back up/main CCW.

she shoots it regulerly too, and I do believe it has been flawless for her

BTW, that second video, the dude thats sliding down on hill is most definately a down range from 2 that are shootin!
    Last edited by Mity2; January 2nd, 2013 at 04:36 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    BTW, that second video, the dude thats sliding down on hill is most definately a down range from 2 that are shootin!
    Yea, he was really trying to GTFOD when the bullets started flying. I don't think the hog had him scared one bit once the shooting started.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.