Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default S&W M&P 9mm Shield or .22LR Handgun?

My wife wants to get me a Birthday present and I said what would she think if she got me a handgun. She said fine to that.

I was considering:

A. Trading my Kahr PM9 for a S&W Shield and allowing my wife to pick me up a .22LR (probably a Ruger 22/45 MKIII).

B. Keeping the PM9, and allowing her to get me the Shield and just buying a .22LR pistol later down the road.

C. Keep the PM9, skip buying the Shield, and allowing her to buy me a .22LR pistol.

I prefer to keep my collection minimal as I like to try to spend as much time on all my firearms, so I'd prefer not to keep both PM9 and Shield. Primary purpose of PM9 and/or Shield is for daily carry. I currently pocket carry and IWB carry the PM9 with great success on my small frame. I also do not own any .22lr firearms at the moment. Looking at some MKIII and 10/22 to fill in the gap.

I am going to head up to a gunshop tomorrow to see how the Shield fits my small hands. I have been contemplating trading my PM9 recently. Mostly because the slide stop is hard to actuate (even after having the slide stop checkered) and the slide is very hard to pull back(worried about having to clear malfunctions, but this seems to be an issue with all subcompacts/pocket guns; ie. the Ruger LCP I use to have). Once the PM9 got broken in, it hasn't had any feeding issues with ball or Hornady FTX ammo.
    Last edited by FJR86; January 2nd, 2013 at 03:08 AM.

(Perry County)

Default Re: S&W M&P 9mm Shield or .22LR Handgun?

Good luck finding a shield in a local shop...
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Cumberland County)

Mechanicsburg Ordnance has a shield in stock...I was there this weekend...I believe it was $450.

(Franklin County)

Keep the PM9, ask for the Shield....

Given what you said about your Kahr I like option A. No need for the PM9 and a shield unless your wife wants to carry one.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by pokerguy005 View Post
    Mechanicsburg Ordnance has a shield in stock...I was there this weekend...I believe it was $450.
    Really? I'll have to try to swing over there to check it out. I was there a couple weeks ago and he said he hadn't gotten any in in several months but thought he might be getting one soon. I brushed it off as him just trying to get me back in the door.
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rydyth View Post
    Given what you said about your Kahr I like option A. No need for the PM9 and a shield unless your wife wants to carry one.

+1 to Option "A" - unless you are pocket carring that Kahr, You will like Shield much more ( Shield too big to fit my pocket ) - If you want a Ruger 22 id look at the Ruger "lite" 22/45

http://www.ruger.com/products/2245Lite/models.html

Its pretty sweet and not too much more than standard 22/45

Jeff

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by imp81318 View Post
    Good luck finding a shield in a local shop...
    This was the case at the local shop I went too. They had the blue gun as demo. The grip was much wider than expected.

I decided to go with C. I am going to keep the PM9 and ask for a Ruger 22/45.

After some long thinking it came down to in a SHTF situation, it would be beneficial to have .22 firearms. So I walked away with a GSG-5 since they did not have any Ruger 10/22 and going to find deals on Ruger 22/45s

Quote Originally Posted by FJR86 View Post
    This was the case at the local shop I went too. They had the blue gun as demo. The grip was much wider than expected.

I decided to go with C. I am going to keep the PM9 and ask for a Ruger 22/45.

After some long thinking it came down to in a SHTF situation, it would be beneficial to have .22 firearms. So I walked away with a GSG-5 since they did not have any Ruger 10/22 and going to find deals on Ruger 22/45s
    That's great! Enjoy the new equipment and happy birthday.

(Bucks County)

I'd advocate keeping the Kahr and getting a Shield. You can test fit it in the shop but you won't know which gun truly suits you best until you shoot and carry both. Later on, if you decide not to keep one of them, sell it and get a .22

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast