46 34.85%
  • I have a major problem with this

71 53.79%
  • undecided

15 11.36%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Lightbulb Poll on "Reporting lost or stolen firearms"

Proposed law is " all firearms stolen or lost must be reported within 72 hours" how say you....

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Poll on "Reporting lost or stolen firearms"

If you are a responsible firearm owner then you should be responsible to report any lost or stolen firearms.

I am sure that if any body had their car/truck/wallet/ etc stolen they would report it to the police.

NOMEX on flame away!

(Venango County)

I wish anyone luck in defending themselves when the police track you down and one of your 'unreported' firearms was used in a crime. How do you prove you don't do inventory every day so you did not notice. Or will you need to do inventory hourly?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    If you are a responsible firearm owner then you should be responsible to report any lost or stolen firearms.

I am sure that if any body had their car/truck/wallet/ etc stolen they would report it to the police.

NOMEX on flame away!
    yes i would report any of the items listed. yet there is no law stating that i would need to.

how much money does the state spend every year researching, debating, and passing new laws that are just copies of laws that go on not being enforced already.

no flames just concern.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post

NOMEX on flame away!
    We've been over this ground before but OK, I'll bite.

Responsible firearms owners do report stolen guns right away (they don't report lost guns because responsible owners don't lose their guns).

Scuzzball pieces of crap don't report lost or stolen guns until confronted by the police that their gun was recovered as an instrument of crime. They then lie to police saying they didn't even realize the gun was missing but it must have been stolen unbeknownst to them. They are not prosecuted, for the most part, because it can be a hard case to make. Under the new law it will remain a hard case to make.

Worthwhile politicians don't propose laws that have no legitimate purpose or effect. The politicians who proposed this law are not worthwhile.

No problem with it..in concept anyway...depends on final wording of the law. I would hope like everything else that one is innocent til proven guilty. So to make this stick they would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you KNEW it was stolen and failed to report within 72 hours of your realizing the theft not 72 hours from the theft itself irrespective of whether you could have reasonably known about the theft. But if you came home to a burglarized house and didn't check your guns for a week you might have a problem.

But totally agree with the post about enforcing current laws...and how about some better ones. My idea of gun control is....bring a gun to a crime and go away for a LONG time....attempted murder? Mandatory death sentence. Might not deter all but will clean up the streets a bit. Like most things ...we don't need more laws just better enforcement. Want to cure the national deficit? Ticket those who don't use directional in their car...but I digress a bit too far...

(Allegheny County)

Smile Re: Poll on "Reporting lost or stolen firearms"

I would use this as a bargaining chip for concessions on Castle doctrine and something else. Reporting a firearm stolen or lost 72 hrs provided you were not on vacation or out of town does not seem too draconian, that said not free we get something in return.

(Susquehanna County)

I was talking to Mr Wood's of Wood's Weapons and Ammunition in Susquehanna today and he received a call from someone in Lackawanna county. The man has lots of gun more then I or Wood's have put together he's a collector. He wanted to know if he had left a gun with Mr Wood's as he want to take it to the range and couldn't find it.

POINT is it may be easy to misplace a gun and should you be penalized for it ?? You may not know in 72 hours the gun is gone I admit to not checking my guns every day or every couple of days. but thats me

(Northampton County)

I do not particularliy mind I would report mime stolen anyway. I would oppose it because it is just another way to criminalize gun owners and give them one more thing to expand. This law would have nothing to do with stopping crime and probably not even help solve crime.

Just one more step closer to disarming the citizen.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

On the matter of reporting lost or stolen firearms, yes, I absolutely would do so, and anyone who doesn't do so is acting foolishly or acting illegally anyway.

On the matter of the legislation, I am completely against it. It is a simple feel-good regulation for regulation's sake, the practical result of which will be an extra layer of burden for those of us who already are law-abiding citizens.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast