Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default LTCF Beaver County residency requirement for references

I moved back to Beaver County about 2 years ago after living elsewhere for 10 years. I now intend to apply for my LTCF, however the Sheriff requires that my two references be Beaver County residents. Unfortunately, due to being out of the area for such a long time and having moved several times since my return, I do not have any non family references who reside within Beaver County.

Has anyone here had this issue, or know somebody with this issue. My understanding is that the state law requires that the references be PA residents, but the County resident requirement is at the discretion of the Sheriff. Are there any know experiences where the current Beaver County Sheriff has made an exception and allowed references from another County?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: LTCF Beaver County residency requirement for references

There is no requirement in the UFA that the references reside in the same county as you.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Beaver County)

I understand that the UFA does not require the references to reside in the same County. It seems to be a requirement set by the Sheriff per the instructions on the Sheriff's website. http://www.beavercountypa.gov/sherif...-carry-permits

"Character References must be Beaver County residents. Be sure to include their full name, address, and telephone number where they can be reached during business hours."

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by short10 View Post
    I understand that the UFA does not require the references to reside in the same County. It seems to be a requirement set by the Sheriff per the instructions on the Sheriff's website. http://www.beavercountypa.gov/sherif...-carry-permits

"Character References must be Beaver County residents. Be sure to include their full name, address, and telephone number where they can be reached during business hours."
    The sheriff is not allowed to make his own rules on how he issues the license.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    The sheriff is not allowed to make his own rules on how he issues the license.
    This

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by short10 View Post
    I moved back to Beaver County about 2 years ago after living elsewhere for 10 years. I now intend to apply for my LTCF, however the Sheriff requires that my two references be Beaver County residents. Unfortunately, due to being out of the area for such a long time and having moved several times since my return, I do not have any non family references who reside within Beaver County.

Has anyone here had this issue, or know somebody with this issue. My understanding is that the state law requires that the references be PA residents, but the County resident requirement is at the discretion of the Sheriff. Are there any know experiences where the current Beaver County Sheriff has made an exception and allowed references from another County?
    It's not even required that they be PA residents. Just list 2 people that you know regardless of where they live.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

I think that my application said that the references must be Pennsylvania residents so I used a fellow from Virginia and one from Florida . . .. or maybe Ohio. Don't remember anymore.

(Delaware County)

Your references can be from Russia or China as far as the law goes

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    It's not even required that they be PA residents. Just list 2 people that you know regardless of where they live.
    From what I can tell as I re-read the UFA, I cannot find anything in the law specifically addressing references at all as it pertains to the LTCF application.

With that said, I agree with the popular opinion that this requirement posted by the Sheriff is not valid. On the other hand, I would like everything to go smoothly when I submit my application. I am willing to pursue this should it become an issue as I'm hardly one to back down when it comes to my 2A rights. However, it would be much more convenient if I didn't have to battle it out just to get my LTCF.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

No one said "Boo" about my references. I think that it is one of those things that they put in there to make their lives easier but won't say anything because they do know that it isn't supported by law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast