Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Ballester Molina

Anyone know much about them? I see them around often - Ex. Argentine Federal Police Guns. I'm looking at one with with Badge and "Policia Federal" on the slide. I know they have seen a lot of action and most have been refinished at least once or twice and most mis matched - but seems interesting. The one I'm looking at has most of the finish gone, but gone very evenly so a good scrub and oxpho would probably make it look pretty good. Just curious if anyone owns/owned one.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Default Re: Ballester Molina

I have one. In general, I like it. My only quibble is that the pivoting trigger pinches my finger a bit. I use mine for steel plate matches so it is pretty accurate as it comes. 1911 parts that will interchange are barrel, barrel bushing, barrel link, barrel link pin, slide stop, and magazine.

(York County)

I have one as well. Love it. The grip fits my hand better than the standard 1911, and I especially like the trigger.

Mine is mostly just a plinker, but it utterly reliable and I use it with a wide range of projectiles and loadings (I mostly handload).

(Cumberland County)

Thanks guys. I've been eyeing them for a while - just interest me. I like older guns especially when they are govt or police. And C&R to boot

(Montgomery County)

I also have one that I paid $200 out of the door with my C&R. The only thing you have to think about is how to put it back together on cleaning it as the second cut out on the LHS of the slide is not there. You ignore the normal 1911 methods and simply take the spring and guide rod out from the muzzle end and then put them back in the same way swiveling the front bearing as you go. Dave_n

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_n View Post
    I also have one that I paid $200 out of the door with my C&R. The only thing you have to think about is how to put it back together on cleaning it as the second cut out on the LHS of the slide is not there. You ignore the normal 1911 methods and simply take the spring and guide rod out from the muzzle end and then put them back in the same way swiveling the front bearing as you go. Dave_n
    Thanks! Wish I could find one for $200! Most I'm finding start around $350 and up.

(Lancaster County)

I once read somewhere or another that the Ballester Molina 1911s were made from steel salvaged from the wreck of the Admiral Graf Spee.

I don't know how true that might be, but it's a cool story.

A friend had one. He sunk a bunch of money into smithing it to make it run properly.

It was a nice pistol when it was fixed up.

(Delaware County)

I also have a couple of Ballesters Molinas. They are heavy but they fit my hand well. The absence of a grip safety makes them iffy as a carry piece for those who carry in the cocked and locked condition. I've found mine to be as reliable as my Colt 1911s.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(York County)

century sold these in 2002 or so for $175 in arsenal refurb to $125 in beater condx. i bought a few of each and refinished the beaters. they are utterly reliable pistols that will hit the side of a barn, if you are inside. the lack of a grip disconnector is their best feature. typical refurb price is $350-400 these days. some are marked policia federal, some are armada marked naval issue. never seen a match numbered gun. produced around 1935-1937.

a few rare molinas were sold to britain and issued in WW2, and will have british proofs. rarely will be seen match numbered. price near a grand.

slightly earlier model ballester rigaud will get another c note due to scarcity. sold at same time by century in low numbers.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

I must have gotten lucky, mine is near perfect. A friend got a beater Ballester-Rigaud at the same time. Ugly but it could shoot. He could keep everything in the black of a standard bullseye target at 25 yards, one handed.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast