Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Brand New on all counts of firearm ownership

Hi Everyone!

For years I have been wanting to own my own firearm because I have always loved shooting. I've only really shot a .22 rifle and hand gun, though. The handgun was at Pocono Pistol (rental) and rifle was my father in laws. I think I played around with a couple of his shotguns as well, but it has been so long, I don't really remember, but do have a vague memory of a pretty sore shoulder and possibly being knocked on my rear

Finally, this year for Christmas, my husband surprised me with a 9mm pistol. I know home defense was on his mind, maybe more than just shooting for fun. But here I sit with it all dumb and nervous about what I should do first. I am assuming that I need to clean it before taking it to the range for the first time, but I have seen quite a bit of differing opinion on the first cleaning.

What is the proper way for me to clean it before first use? If anyone has a link to a video to share that would be great, but I need something in easy to understand terms because again I am not yet familiar with all the experienced firearm owner speak

After cleaning, I suppose I need to know the best places as well as how to get some proper training. Do I just ask someone at the range? I kind of feel like I need someone to take me (us - hubby too) under their wing and show us the proper and safe use of our new firearm.

Also, I would be grateful to hear from you all on safe storage at home. I did buy a small micro vault safe only because I wasn't sure what else to do. I do have three kids ages, 13, 9 and 4, so I am a tad nervous having in the house.

TIA!

Tammy
    (who understands the importance of applying for concealed carry permit ASAP - although I do not know if I would ever actually cc)

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Brand New on all counts of firearm ownership

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

GO here,,, check the box for FIRST STEPS pistol Orientation or BASIC pistol course,,,enter your zip code.

Good start.

Welcome and glad you are starting out responsible and safe

http://findnra.nra.org/
    Last edited by CenterTree; December 31st, 2012 at 04:55 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Cambria County)

(Bucks County)

^^^This....so husband buys you gun and dips?

Id figure he would be the best place to start with firearms safety being a gun owner?

(Bucks County)

double post

(Beaver County)

Welcome Tammy,

My first question is what is the make and model of your 9mm? Certain guns such as Glock are good to go out of the box. So it's a little different for each gun.

Secondly I'm not sure about your area but you should be able to find a NRA Certified instructor.

(Allegheny County)

I can add more later, but you may find some useful info by poking around here...

link

Welcome to the forum!

Also, since this is new to you, you may not be aware of the shortages the shooting industry is experiencing at the moment as a result of the shouts for "gun control".
    If you SEE ammo for your handgun, you may want to consider BUYING it. When you go back, it may not be there.
    You're going to need to practice and having ammo is usually helpful.

(Monroe County)

If it is both your first time shooting in a while I would go to Pocono pistol if that's the closest range with. Instructers. Once there or at any range pay for an hour of training and don't feel afraid to ask questions being a new firearm owner no question is a dumb question it was good you came here and started looking for answers.

Most guns can be taken right from the box to the range without any true harm to the gun. After going to the range buy a pistol cleaning kit with a solvent and some sort of lubricant. You tube is a great source to learn how to propperly clean your gun, just search the type of pistol you have and search
    " your pistol, takedown and cleaning "

Do this and don't be afraid to come back here to ask more questions.
    Last edited by brian1313; January 1st, 2013 at 06:34 PM.

Good move on getting a safe place to store it with children around.
    In order to get intelligent answers you must speak intelligently.

(Lancaster County)

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it to you yet, but there are some excellent videos on YouTube showing how to clean and disassemble (strip) almost any firearm. Many of the video producers also go into specific detail about their model of firearm, such as tiny pieces that might fly out and disappear if you don't watch for it (example: Keltec P3AT's ejector).

You didn't specifically mention which 9mm you received, but I'm betting there are lots of videos of other people with the same firearm that have produced some decent video content on YouTube.

Whenever I buy a new firearm, one of the first places I go is YouTube to download (thus permanently archiving) the best video I can find on the tear down and reassembly of that specific firearm.

I store those video files (MP4 usually) in a directory on my network storage (NAS) with lots of photos I take of the new weapon, including the serial numbers and other markings.

Dos
    Last edited by Dosbomber; January 1st, 2013 at 07:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast