Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Gun Hippo Kingston PA

I have been in the market for a subcompact 9mm and have been reading about the local shops in the area. I know GM is typically higher priced and I always prefer to support small business over corporate establishments. I spent some time here checking out feedback on local shops.

The first place I went was J&G in Throop. They had a great selection and TONS of inventory. Unfortunately, they feel the need to capitalize on the Xmas shoppers/pre-ban shoppers and pertake in price gouging. I've been in retail for 14 years and understand the concept of supply and demand, but selling guns OVER msrp is taking it too far in my opinion. J&G was the most expensive price on all 4 guns I looked at. Their short term greed has left a long term bad taste in my mouth.

I found a place in Kingston called Gun Hippo during my online price searching and stopped by his shop today. His prices were by far the best I found locally. He had the CM9 for on the website for $405 and showed 3 in stock. Unfortunately "in stock" on the site means his distributor had the gun and it needed to be ordered. That was a little disappointing. I also had to ask him to match his website price. Even without the discounted website price, his shelf price was still about 15%+ less expensive than J&G.

Gun Hippo is a small little shop that appears to be undergoing some renovations, but the two guys at the counter seemed on point.

Check them out if you're in the market for a gun, just be sure to check the site for additional savings. Www.gunhippo.com

I put a deposit on the gun, to be ordered. I will report back after I finalize payment and pick it up.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Gun Hippo Kingston PA

The owner of Gun Hippo is a member of this forum. I checked them out earlier last year. They had like three guns. Of course it does not help that they were robbed twice since opening.

Glad you got a decent deal.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lackawanna County)

Robbery doesn't suprise me in that part of town.

The shop was really small. Half the store front was covered with plywood, I'm not sure if that's part of his shop or a separate retail space. There were 3 or 4 other customers in there and it was cramped.

His selection was mediocre, with a little bit of everything in there. The holiday season probably had an impact on availability. In fairness, advanced arms and bills were nearly empty as well.

I will be getting a few more guns this spring and will give him a look again. I'm glad I was able to keep my money local and he maintained integrity with his pricing, rather than trying to rip people off.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by philcav7 View Post
    Robbery doesn't suprise me in that part of town.

The shop was really small. Half the store front was covered with plywood, I'm not sure if that's part of his shop or a separate retail space. There were 3 or 4 other customers in there and it was cramped.

His selection was mediocre, with a little bit of everything in there. The holiday season probably had an impact on availability. In fairness, advanced arms and bills were nearly empty as well.

I will be getting a few more guns this spring and will give him a look again. I'm glad I was able to keep my money local and he maintained integrity with his pricing, rather than trying to rip people off.

Try Piestracks. Cases are always full. They are always a little lite on AR's.

http://piestraksgunshop.com/
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Indiana County)

Beware of theses guys.Sold me a junk rifle that they wont do anything to correct it at all.Very poor customer service