Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default XDm 3.8 compact .45 vs XDs

Hey guys,

I sold my XD9SC to consolidate calibers (sticking with .45, even though the wife now wants a 9mm as her gun....ugh!), and wanted to buy another polymer pistol to go with my 1911. I want to stick with the new XDm line, as I shoot it better than the Glocks, and like it better feature-wise and trigger-wise to the M&P line.

Now, I've carried the XD9SC comfortably with my Crossbreed (I'm a bigger guy too, and usually wear jeans and a t-shirt/button down). However, I was never a huge fan on the weight. Thickness was fine, summertime I'd tend to carry it less.

So, now I'm trying to decide between basically the double or single stack XDm vs XDs. I like the capacity of the XDm, and actually find the bigger/thicker grip better to hold with my big hands vs the skinny and narrow XDs. Also I get a MUCH better grip with the extended mag. I also like the dual combo carry gun (with 9-round flush mag) and nightstand gun (with the full size 13-round extended mag).

However, I think the overall lighter and thinner XDs I'll carry more...even if I prefer the higher capacity. The size is a big selling point....but at the same time it's not MUCH shorter in height, and its only a few ounces lighter.

Unfortunately, here in Lancaster, there's no public ranges, so I can't shoot both back to back. So maybe even the bigger/thicker grip on the XDm is just a perceived advantage....maybe it won't help or they'll grip the same when firing.

Basically, my question(s) comes down to:

1.) Has anyone shot both before buying, and could comment one way or the other as to their opinion as to which is the better all around pistol.

2.) Even better: Has anyone gone from one to the other, and either regretted it, or think they made the right decision? Or does someone have both and can comment on what they tend to use more or prefer?

Thanks guys and gals!

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: XDm 3.8 compact .45 vs XDs

I had a chance to shoot both.

The pro's and con's are obvious as you pointed out between the two. Slim and less rounds, or fat and more rounds. As for shootability, the XDm does have less felt recoil. The weight of the gun comes into play there vs the lighter XDs. However the XDs wasn't by any means uncontrollable. The XDs was still quick on follow up shots, just not as quick.

I do give the win to the XDs for the trigger. It has a more positive reset, and when it resets there isn't any take up like the XDm. Basically the XDs trigger is more like a Glock trigger.

Go with what fits you. You can't go wrong with either. The XDm is nice with the ability of the extended mags, but will be a bit heavier for carrying. But get a good belt (Ares Ranger belts are hard to beat unless you want leather) and holster (CompTac, Crossbreed, Raven) and you'll probably never notice it there after a few days.

(Lancaster County)

Anyone else?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1990dtgl98 View Post
    However, I think the overall lighter and thinner XDs I'll carry more
    There is your answer.

If you only have one choice to carry, choose the one you WILL carry then train with it to get proficient.

Both are excellent carry guns. I have shot both and can not give you a solid reason not to choose either except the one above.

Get the XDs and order an extra mag or two