Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ruger P95 review, 400+ rounds later, for anyone interested

Like the title suggests, I've now put over 400 rounds through my Ruger P95 at this point. The vast majority of these rounds were inexpensive 115gr FMJs such as PPU, Federal Estate, etc... I'll break it down so you can skip to the parts that might interest you more:

Accuracy:
    I have been very surprised with the accuracy that I have with this pistol. I have shot a few revolvers in the past including .38 special, .44mag, etc., and was not very accurate with those at all. With the the 9mm P95 I am able to hit empty shotgun shells off a tree stump at 15 yards. I don't know if anyone here would consider that anything worthy of writing about, but for me (and this being my first handgun of my own) that is certainly pleasing. I'm going to be shooting at some actual targets this week, so I can update with some groupings and maybe some longer distances in the future. I also liked the ability to fire successive shots with great accuracy.

Performance:
    I haven't experienced ANY failures of any kind yet. This is all with inexpensive 115gr FMJ ammo mind you. I will admit that when I first fired the gun, I did not realize it needed to be cleaned and oiled first (I did field strip it prior to shooting, and it appeared to be ready to go) and I had some jams at that point, but after I cleaned it after firing a few rounds it has performed 100% flawlessly since. Not a single jam of any kind. I feel pretty confident in its reliability so far.

Comfort:
    For my hands, and my personal taste, this gun was superior in comfort. I compared it extensively with S&W, Beretta, Springfield, Glock, etc. at a gun show before buying and found the P95 to fit my hand and grip almost perfectly. After putting the rounds through it, my opinion of this has not changed. The trigger pull is just right for me, others that shot it with me did not agree completely, but for me it's just right. The two others that shot it own a Springfield XDM 9mm, and a Ruger SR9. The Springfield owner liked it quite a bit, but the fellow Ruger owner found the trigger pull to be "a little long." I shot his SR9, and I did like it alot, but found that it did not fit my hand very well, and I was glad to get my P95 back in my hands.
    Last edited by MagRelease; December 31st, 2012 at 12:43 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Ruger P95 review, 400+ rounds later, for anyone interested

The P95 is one of the best bangs for the buck out there. Very reliable and accurate. My only true dislike is the magazine release. If they had made it a simple round button I would be happy but oh well........

Quote Originally Posted by sigarms229 View Post
    The P95 is one of the best bangs for the buck out there. Very reliable and accurate. My only true dislike is the magazine release. If they had made it a simple round button I would be happy but oh well........
    I wish I had something to mentally compare on that point.. That was one thing I overlooked when comparing at the gun show. While I'm actually pretty happy with the mag release, I do wish I had made note of that when handling all the others to see which I may have liked more. I guess as long as I can use it quickly and comfortably now, the oversight doesn't matter much, but still... I will not fail to make note of that on my next purchase.

(Beaver County)

A few years ago when purchasing my first handgun I was looking at the p95 and the s&w sigma. I picked the sigma and regretted it until the day I sold it. Never had failure of any kind but I could not get used to the trigger. I've always heard good things bout p95.

(Luzerne County)

I have owned a P89 for years and all I hear from my local gun shop is how the are junk and I should buy something else and dump the ruger. I have an XD45 and others but my P89 is still a workhorse. It has never jammed, is extremely accurate and carries 15+1. It is a little bulky but the weight gives you easy repeatability for accurate fast shots.

(Allegheny County)

The one gun I will never get rid of even though it's my least expensive.

(Lawrence County)

My P89 was the only gun I ever had theta never malfunctioned.

Can't say that about my Glock.

Lycangofigurethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Carbon County)

my experience with the 95 was total opposite, after 400 rounds mine was a jamming machine. it shot low and to the left 6 inches. to me it was big and heavy with a nasty trigger. i guess i got a bad one. at least you got a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by kel ruger man View Post
    my experience with the 95 was total opposite, after 400 rounds mine was a jamming machine. it shot low and to the left 6 inches. to me it was big and heavy with a nasty trigger. i guess i got a bad one. at least you got a good one.
    That sucks.. You're actually the first I've heard with an experience quite like that. I suppose it is possible you just got a bad gun?? Did you clean it regularly/properly?

(Carbon County)

i am a gun clean freak. i take care of my guns. at the time, i guess it was 2 or 3 years ago, i had read alot of bad about them. the worst part is when you try to sell them, no one wants them. i wanted to like it, but it wasnt for me. i do hear alot of people that love them, just like people hate or love glocks or sigs or anything else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast