Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Next hunting rifle?

Trying to decide what to buy. I have 2 very different trains of thought. On one hand I want a bolt gun, then on the other a lever gun. I already have a Ruger 77 in 30-06. If I get a bolt action, I am leaning towards the Marlin X7. Probably in 308. But as for a lever action, I am torn between the 357, 44 or 45-70. I've always wanted a 45-70, but since I don't currently reload the cost and availability of ammo may be prohibitive. This leads me to the 357/44 mag. I know both are easily capable of dropping a deer, and I own a revolver in both calibers. As for rifles, I would like to get a marlin, but cost is rather high, and finding one available has proven to be difficult. I have seen a lot of Rossis available at gun shows for decent prices. I would also like to be able to mount some kind of optic on the gun if I wanted to. Would that be an option on the Rossi? Even if it's a forward mounted scope? I really like the idea of a lever gun since it would be easier for me to get to the range and put some rounds through it. Most of my hunting is from a tree stand where shot ranges would be limited to 100 yards or less, unless I am hunting a field where the shots could be 400+ yards. I guess my questions are, are the Rossi Lever actions any good, and if so could I mount a scope on one? And if you were buying just one gun which one would you choose? Trying to make up my mind. Just when I think I figured it out, the little voice inside my head tells me otherwise. In a perfect world I would have one of each, but funds are limited and I am trying to keep the wife happy.

Dan

Default Re: Next hunting rifle?

If this was me, I'd say get the lever action since you already have 30/06...ballistics are very close to 308, so why have two rifles that does the same thing?

The 45/70 would be a good choice since it will thump whatever you hit.

(Bucks County)

I would love to get the 45-70. Its the cost of factory ammo that has me concerned. Your point about the ballistics is also another thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger on a 308. I did some research and I can get a scope mount for the Rossi, so I found my answer to that question. But how is their reliability? I may take a ride out to the gun show next weekend and look at what they have.

Dan

(Somerset County)

I second the thoughts about the 30-06/308 comparison.

Why not a 30-30? Ammo is cheaper than the 45-70 and it's more effective than the 357/44 option.

No experience with the Rossi levers but the single shot 'matched pair' that I bought for my son 6 years ago has been working fine.

FWIW,

Dale

(Westmoreland County)

30-30, love mine. Light weight and easy to hunt with. Ammo is pretty cheap.

(Bucks County)

After a lot of deliberation, I ended up at Tanners and put a deposit down on a Marlin 1894 44 mag. I know the 30-30 would do what I wanted, but the appeal wasn't there. I wanted something different and this is what I wanted. Unfortunately, they didn't have any in stock so I had to special order one. Hopefully I will get it paid off and get it home soon. Thanks for the input.

Dan