Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northumberland County)

Default Private Handgun Sales To Someone Under 21

Is it legal in PA to privately sell a handgun to someone that is 18 and have it in their name? I know you have to be 21 to get it from a dealer, but do private sales count? I'd like to be able to carry, but I want the gun in my name since my parents will not purchase one for me. In other words, i'd have to wait till i'm 21 to be able to carry.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Private Handgun Sales To Someone Under 21

Under federal law no one under the age of 21 may purchase a gun with a barrel less than 16". This is for private and public sales.

2. Concealable weapons (Handguns, rifles/MGs with a barrel less than 16", shotguns with a barrel less than 18", and AOWs) MUST be transferred through a FFL (Or Sheriffs Dept), and the PICS must be performed on the buyer before sale is completed. Age for transfer of the above weapons at an FFL is 21.

3. Handguns may be legally transferred without FFL or Sheriffs Dept approval between Married Spouses, Parents and children, and Grandparent to grandchild, provided that the recipient is at least 18 years of age, and not a prohibited person.

(Jefferson County)

Federal law only prohibits FFL(commercial) transfers of handguns to someone under 21yo, and private transfers to those under 18yo.

PA law prohibits possession under 18yo.

Since PA law requires a proper transfer for everyone except certain family members, and Federal law prohibits <21yo transfers through a FFL, any 18yo to <21yo transfer must be through a sheriff. However, no sheriff that I know of will do it. Jefferson Co used to do it years ago, but I haven't check with the present sheriff.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat01 View Post
    Under federal law no one under the age of 21 may purchase a gun with a barrel less than 16". This is for private and public sales.

2. Concealable weapons (Handguns, rifles/MGs with a barrel less than 16", shotguns with a barrel less than 18", and AOWs) MUST be transferred through a FFL (Or Sheriffs Dept), and the PICS must be performed on the buyer before sale is completed. Age for transfer of the above weapons at an FFL is 21.

3. Handguns may be legally transferred without FFL or Sheriffs Dept approval between Married Spouses, Parents and children, and Grandparent to grandchild, provided that the recipient is at least 18 years of age, and not a prohibited person.

Funny thing nobody has mentioned this here that I am aware of. So there is no loophole. ALL handgun transfers must go through an FFL regardless. I wish somebody would point this put when they throw the gun show loophole around. Although I suppose there are still the long guns.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    Funny thing nobody has mentioned this here that I am aware of. So there is no loophole. ALL handgun transfers must go through an FFL regardless. I wish somebody would point this put when they throw the gun show loophole around. Although I suppose there are still the long guns.
    Long guns can still be transferred without FFL/sheriff involvement in PA.

Most other states allow private transfers of handguns and long guns without a background check.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!