Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Possible move to Berks County

Im about 20-25 min north of reading, if you go up 183 north to 78 the road before you hit 78 is old route 22, I live about 4 miles west up old 22, nice little area, 15 min to cabelas the school isnt to bad, normal size class's but a low budget school so its not loaded with a ton of computers and stuff, but over all not bad. id stay away from the city. atleast where Im at its not bad at all, I can go out back and shoot anytime I want to since theres a field behind my house and wooded land behind that. no one ever gave me any problems.

(Berks County)

I live in Lower Alsace near Antietam Lake (northeast side outside the city) and it is about a 10 minute ride to where you may work from where i live (off rt 12 at spring valley rd go up the hill on mc kellups to skyline dr and look in that area)..... I like it here alot and the kids go to school in Mt Penn. Moved here a year ago from Arizona and i like it alot. Real woodsy and quiet but close to the city.
    Joe
    Last edited by Joe50; March 21st, 2008 at 11:55 PM. Reason: add info

(Berks County)

The job is off route 183 so I wold be in the north side. Thanks for the suggestions
    I live in Northern Berks (Bethel near Strausstown) right off 183, work in Reading also. My kids go to Hamburg, no complaints, school is good, but my taxes have doubled in 6 years.

If I had to do it all over again I would have gone 2 more miles up the road into Schuylkill County.

Property taxes are lower and some pretty nice rural properties around within decent driving distance.

Check out Schuykill County, Blue Mountain School district is supposed to be pretty good.

My .02
    Last edited by 762xIan; March 23rd, 2008 at 06:37 PM.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Berks County)

lethal93ta, we are going to have to meet up one of these days, I am right on Mountain View road...
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

(Berks County)

Did I meet you one time at blue mountian gun works?

BTW: Im right between bethel truck service and jim ratcliffs garage on old 22/

(Berks County)

as said before id stay away from the city of reading and you have to be carefull becuase some houses you wouldnt think on the outskirts of reading are in the reading school district.....i live in west lawn which is about 3 or 4 air miles from the city.....its close enough to anything youd want as far as food stores wal marts target , good places to eat and your still kind of away from the city, which is about 8 min drive time away from center city.......good places around reading to look are sinking spring, shillington, west lawn, wyomissing if u can afford the high taxes and house prices, then ive even been thinking about werenersville/ robesonia or even mohnton if u wanna even get further from the city but still be close enough to drive to work ......hope i helped and my work takes me all over most of the county so if u have any questions let me know

(Berks County)

Did I meet you one time at blue mountian gun works?
    Not me, haven't been there yet, I have been meaning to check out that shop, how is it? It is over on Schubert on the other side of 419 isn't it?

(Berks County)

1009 Schubert Rd.
    Bethel PA.

Never knew there was a shop there, is it any good? How are the prices?

And 762xIan, did you ever finish that kit I sold you? How's it shoot?
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

(Berks County)

Blue mountian is one of the main places I deal with, he dosnt carry a lot in the store but its normally less then a week away most of the time, I got my 3 stag AR lowers there for 95 bucks a piece with sequencial numbers and the other 3 with sequencial numbers are still there that match up with mine, my STAG upper came from there to. he has a couple hand guns in stock and some used rifles, but troy (the owner) is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. when I get money to get my XD .45 im going to have him order that, his prices are normally a little lower than most places since he dont have the over head, hes open tues/thurs night 6-9 and saterday 10-6 so the hours are kinda nice to since if you work days you can get in there. when I wanted to get into reloading he helped me out a lot with info and i even bought some of his old equipment from him.

BTW: the shop is on top of rattlers cycle shop on the second floor, you go in the door on the right side with the sign on the door and go up the steps. Troys parents run the bike shop.
    Last edited by lethal93ta; March 24th, 2008 at 05:39 PM.

(Berks County)

Bert304, links to Hamburg Schools....pretty good schools...taxes are on the high side but all the schools are new...The Vo-Tech is pretty decent, my oldest went there for Electrical Trades.

http://www.hamburgpa.org/areaschools.html

Since you will be working north of Reading, right off of 183, I would look hard at going a few more miles up the road into Schuylkill County though.

Blue Mountain Schools...

http://www.bmsd.org/bmsd

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast