Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Sig p226 or Glock 17

I want to buy a high quality 9mm pistol that will handle a few lifetimes worth of shooting. When I buy a gun i intend to keep it for life and hand it down to my son so above all i want it to last. Mostly I am torn between the glock 17 and the sig p226. I am leaning towards the p226 due to the da/sa trigger. Any thoughts on reliability, longevity of weapon, function? The sig is around $200 more, is it worth it? I am open to other pistols so if you have any suggestions let me know. I would like full size gun with high cap mags. Lastly is the accuracy between the 2 guns close or does one have an edge?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Sig p226 or Glock 17

Out of those 2 the 226 gets my vote but since you are open to others my real vote is a CZ75

(Allegheny County)

I've fired a p226 before, and I own a Glock 19. I have to say between the 2 I would choose the Glock. I just like everything about it. Not saying anything bad about the Sig because it is an excellent pistol its just down to personal preference.

I would also take a look at the M&P. I've heard nothing but great things about it, and I've even seen it compared to the Glock and beating it. I'm very interested in shooting one myself.

(York County)

I would say to shoot them if that is at all possible. I was in the same boat as you are and I was lucky enough to have friends that own both. I really liked both pistols, the controls were great, they are both kinda beefy but I didn't mind it.

I really liked the glock, it felt great, easy controls, shot very well I even liked the trigger which is one thing I hear the most gripes about. The only thing that concerned me slightly with the glock (it was a .40 sw though so kinda "snappy") was how much recoil it sent into my hand, it kicked much worse than my 1911. Some of the glock guys said that it will recoil different than other pistols but once you get used to it its very manageable as I've seen with them shooting it.

The Sig I shot was a DA only 226 and I've never just picked up a pistol and shot so well with one. Even with the DA only I shot the best I ever did, the controls are great, awesome ergo's. I did go with the Sig 226 and I couldn't be happier with it, thats not to say that I haven't been snooping for a good ol' G19 to have also its just the one I liked most for my purchase.
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

Quote Originally Posted by CityOfSteel View Post
    Lastly is the accuracy between the 2 guns close or does one have an edge?
    They are very close. I used to be hard headed about Glock (because they ain't too pretty) 'till I finally bought a couple. Strapping a G21 to my pistol rest revealed 6" groups 50 yds out with match ammo. Not bad for a gun you can throw in the mud, pick it up, and keep shooting. It ain't gonna win no pistol rest competition, but you ain't gonna be shootin people 50 yds out, either, unless you like small, cold rooms with no blanket and big, hairy, men that sweat when it's cold. Besides, most people will only achieve minute of thorax with either pistol in a fight. To fully appreciate the edge I think the Sig has in accuracy, you'll have to spend a shit ton of $$$ on practice ammo. Long story short, don't let accuracy be the determining factor unless you are Yoda.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Monroe County)

Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig

Just my opinion!

(Lancaster County)

A few years ago I would have said you can't go wrong with either but if you are looking at new guys, due to issues with quality control at Sig these days, I would lean towards the G17 (I prefer Gen 3).

If you find an older Sig, then that's a different story. I have one made in 1988 and it runs like champ and is a tackdriver.

Hope that makes sense.

I too hava 226 and a 19. I really like them both. Never shot a 17, I've got an itch for one lately though.

The 226 seems more like an heirloom to me and the 17 seems more like an EDC gun. Maybe its that the 226 is all metal. Glocks seem like a dime a dozen, no frills, dispensable, shot one, ya shot'em all gun (aside from caliber) and they are great in that role. Just not an heirloom IMO.

Look at a Browning Hi-Power too. JMB's finest work. I'd say 1911 but thats straying from 9mm (yeah they have'em but..) Another to look at is the H&K P30, love mine. Again though, poly frame and not really heirloom-ish. Awesome EDC/Fighting pistol though. The CZ 75 already got mention and is worth looking into as well.
    and to the dust you shall return

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by sigarms229 View Post
    I have one made in 1988 and it runs like champ and is a tackdriver.

Hope that makes sense.
    Same with my Newer issue P229 (2007) *shrugs*
    All the quality control claims that I've been hearing about stem from 1 article on the intranets........Granted I don't like all the flitz and flash gimmicks as of late but the base models seem to still be pretty good.

I have the sig p229 with the E2 grip and the short reset trigger. It is an amazing gun. I've put thousands of rounds of all kinds through it and it never let me down. If you have shot a DA/SA gun like the sig in the past and liked it, then yes go with the sig. But I will say for me, it is very hard to fire fast going from DA to SA accurately. Usually, either the DA shot is off or the subsequent SA shots are off. It takes a lot of practice to do it well. If you plan to carry it, you have to take that into account. If this is going to just be a range gun, then it doesn't matter as much and I say go with the sig hands down.

IMO, the sig is worth it. But the glock is a great gun and is easier to master than the sig.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast