Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Check my thinking please- CCW traveling from PA to SC.

Quote Originally Posted by BobGun View Post
    You need to become aware of the laws in the state you are visiting. PA rule are only the law in PA.
    Just to clarify, I am really just more concerned about the transportation aspect of it. When I am in the state that I am spending time I would certainly make myself aware of their laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Fists View Post
    Just to clarify, I am really just more concerned about the transportation aspect of it. When I am in the state that I am spending time I would certainly make myself aware of their laws.
    Your question was not about transport:

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but I am fairly new here. If your permit is honored in another state through a reciprocity agreement does that mean that I can carry under the exact same settings and restrictions as here in PA? In other words, I need to follow the same rules that PA has when visiting a state that PA has the reciprocity agreement with or could there be certain "extra" rules in those states that I'd need to be aware of. After writing this, it seems pretty logical and obvious but I just want to make sure.
    Whether the question is about "transporting" or "carrying," you are subject to the laws of the state you are in. Pennsylvania laws mean nothing. Your PA LTCF only means that reciprocal states give you permission to follow their laws with respect to a firearm. (The exception being the FOPA, which applies strictly to interstate transport and requires the firearm or the ammo to be in a locked case or otherwise not accessible to the passenger compartment.)

Each state's laws are different, with regard to both carry and transport.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Two Fists View Post
    Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but I am fairly new here. If your permit is honored in another state through a reciprocity agreement does that mean that I can carry under the exact same settings and restrictions as here in PA? In other words, I need to follow the same rules that PA has when visiting a state that PA has the reciprocity agreement with or could there be certain "extra" rules in those states that I'd need to be aware of. After writing this, it seems pretty logical and obvious but I just want to make sure.
    Just about. IIRC, the federal prohibition against firearms within a school zone does not apply if you live within that zone or you have a LTCF from that state. I think the courts have ruled that just driving through a school zone is allowed. IANAL.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyned7 View Post
    Thank YOU PAFOA but yet.. so depressing. Guess I'll buy more mace for gifts.
    How the heck to those competion shooters do it?
    "Mace" type sprays are illegal in several states, too. Massachusetts comes to mind.

Most states have an exception for transport to a sanctioned competition. Even New York (state) and Massachusetts specifically allow for competitions. Not sure about New Jersey.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123