Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Imported AK question

Ok, please forgive my ignorance; I know very little about NFA firearms.

Suppose I have a WASR 10/63 that I recently purchased. It was made in Romania in the 1950s. Would I be able to apply for a NFA stamp to convert it to select-fire, and upon approval, convert the firearm to select fire?

I am assuming the answer is no, but the thought came to me last night, and I thought it was worth inquiring about.

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Imported AK question

no........
    You can only draw so many lines in the sand before you are backed into a corner...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by FAL-SHOOTER View Post
    no........
    What about with a registered auto sear? The gun is pre ban........

Don't think thats possiabe. Because then you need the third hole which means you just turned your ak into a illegal machine gun. I don't beleive there is such a thing as a drop in registered sear for a ak as there is for the ar and hk.

(Luzerne County)

The number of transferable MG's in the US is fixed as of 1986. There can be no more. As far a a regestered auto sear or connector that was made before the cut off date, it in itself is consered the MG, and can be installed in any firearm. Some auto sears and bolts are regestered with the firearm that they are installed in. I don't know if these can be removed from there "host" and reinstalled in a diffrent firearm.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    What about with a registered auto sear? The gun is pre ban........
    I never seen a registered sear for sale for an AK.

Not sure how that would work, but I'm interested if anyone knows...
    You can only draw so many lines in the sand before you are backed into a corner...

(Monroe County)

Yeah, me neither..but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    The number of transferable MG's in the US is fixed as of 1986. There can be no more. As far a a regestered auto sear or connector that was made before the cut off date, it in itself is consered the MG, and can be installed in any firearm. Some auto sears and bolts are regestered with the firearm that they are installed in. I don't know if these can be removed from there "host" and reinstalled in a diffrent firearm.
    Registered sears for ARs and HKs can be removed and installed in multiple hosts. I would guess that goes for registered bolts also as in a Uzi. As the bolt is the registered part.

I don't think it could because you would have to turn your semi AK into an illegal machine gun to use it. In the eyes of the ATF having the third hole in an AKs receiver makes it a machine gun. There was a problem years back with a bunch of MAK-90s that came into the country with the thrid hole welded up. They were considered contraband because the hole had been there at one point.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by rgb03 View Post
    I don't think it could because you would have to turn your semi AK into an illegal machine gun to use it. In the eyes of the ATF having the third hole in an AKs receiver makes it a machine gun. There was a problem years back with a bunch of MAK-90s that came into the country with the thrid hole welded up. They were considered contraband because the hole had been there at one point.
    This happens to be an area of expertise. The company that imported the infamous MAK-90 was LaBanu Inc. of Ronkonkoma, New York. It had the selector markings of L and D on the receiver. To my knowledge, they were not welded up, they were imported with all 3 receiver holes ready to go. As expected, the BATFE went completely APESHIT.

Their were also auto-sears for AK rifles. The trip sears were engraved with serial numbers and registered by individuals and Class 2 SOT's. However like previously stated, the third axis hole is needed and after realizing this the ATF Agents went out and seized all of the sears not already installed in rifles. One's that had already been installed in rifles were judged on a case by case basis, most of which having the registration forms amended permanently 'marrying' the sear the the gun it was installed in.

I have seen a company out of the DFW area in Texas had one for sale awhile back. I forget the name of the company. I could look it up if anyone is interested?

Hope this helps......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast