Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default .22LR GSG-AK47 from American Tactical Imports

.22LR GSG (German Sport Guns) AK47 from American Tactical Imports (ATI)

These have been around for a few years, but pricing had been in the "Ummm, I'll pass" range until recently. They can regularly be found for $280-$300 now* (which I still find to be a bit high) and when this went on sale for $249 at Dunham's (Black Friday), I decided I wasn't going to pass it up at that price.
    Note that TWO 24 round magazines are included. Considering that the mags cost between $30 and $40 each, I think it's worth mentioning.

*I typed this well before the panic buying of late mid-December

I had taken pics of it in the box as well as a ton of closeups, but apparently the lighting wasn't good enough, and most didn't turn out sharp enough for my liking, so I'll have to re-do them. Here are a few pics I salvaged though...

The rifle comes with the rear stock detached. There are some cheap tools included that allow for quick assembly without having to go find a screwdriver...

Here's a comparison shot with my WASR AK on the bottom...

Oddly, the GSG-AK47 is slightly longer (36 1/4" vs 34 1/2") than my WASR.
    Overall, it is a lot more similar in appearance than I had expected when comparing them side by side.
    The bottom of the receiver is slightly angled and "thicker", near the stock, and there are no traditional "vent holes" in the hand guard. While not exact matches, each of the other visible features is fairly well matched to the original where possible, while some things are modified slightly due to the differing operating needs. For example, the safety has a convenient bolt hold-open notch.

A few more random observations:
    (Note that I have not yet thoroughly read the manual, so I may be missing some things)

The manual seems to be written clearly and has REALLY nice illustrations for dissassembly/etc.
    The gas tube is not functional, but the top hand guard can be removed much the same as a real AK.
    The muzzle nut can be removed and flash hiders/brakes can be installed. The visible barrel is actually a "sleeve" that covers the thinner .22 barrel.
    The receiver cover comes off in the same manner as a normal AK.
    The cleaning rod unscrews and can be removed.
    It has a sling attachment point on the front in standard AK fashion, but none is available on the wooden stock. (I think I'll add one) The polymer furniture version has an attachment on the stock.
    The magazines rock-and-lock in just like the real deal and are very easy to load.
    That little "tab thingy" on the side, above the mag well is something that puzzles may people - it's a tab to hold the optional folding stock in place!

The optic mounting bracket on the side of the receiver is made of a polymer - not "plasicky breaky" feeling, but I'm not sure I'd want to mount an optic to it. I've read that it can be replaced with the real deal though.
    On the topic of sights, I will note that the ONLY thing I'm disappointed in thus far is the rear sight. It LOOKS correct, and operates like a standard AK sight, but it has some side-to-side play.
    I'll see how it goes. I know this won't be used for shooting long range, and it may be fine for "up close", but considering the overall quality of the rest of the rifle, I'm a little let down.

The weight of the rifle is very close to that of my WASR. I tried picking it up off the floor with one hand from several points and they both felt quite similar in comparison. I expected it to be much lighter, as it's "just a 22".

The wood furniture looks very nice on all of the rifles I looked at on the shelf. I don't know what type of wood is used at this point, but I don't get the impression that it will be resistant to dings and scratches. It appears to be stained only, although it's possible it could be a stain/finish combo of some sort - it is "flat" in color.
    Note that several of the GSG AK47s I handled had some play in the furniture (mainly the front handguard), so I'm happy I went and was able to pick one off the rack.

Now for some more pics!

I'm guessing that one's overall satisfaction with this particular rifle will depend on what you are expecting going into it.
    If you are expecting an AK47 battle-ready rifle in .22 caliber, you will likely be very disappointed.
    If you are expecting an inexpensive plinker with the LOOK of an AK47, you will likely be pleasantly surprised by this rifle.

Oh yeah... there are a bunch of accessories that can be added!

Mag coupler
    Flash hider
    weapon light
    "Triangle" (open) folding stock
    Solid folding stock
    Fore grip
    2 polymer front rail systems (replace front hand guards)
    Scope mounts

Hope you enjoyed the informal "review"!
    I'll keep it updated and post more pics and range review as I go.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: .22LR GSG-AK47 from American Tactical Imports

Good pics. Looks like fun.

Let's have a range report.
    MikeP

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by priell3 View Post
    Good pics. Looks like fun.

Let's have a range report.
    Thank you. Will post the results later tonight!

(Luzerne County)

Would love to know how well it digest ammo. I brought one when they first came out, what a piece of crap wouldn't run with anything except cci mini mags. Sold it faster than a speed of light, but if quality has improved would love to get another.

(Allegheny County)

I had one and loved it, as for ammo it ate everything I fed it. Wish I would of never got rid of mine

(Allegheny County)

I just got home from doing snow removal all day, so it will be a while before I reveal the results. I only tested two types of ammo thus far.
    I'll let you know what I think.

(Allegheny County)

Before moving on to the range report, I was asked if it was "metal, or plastic".

The answer?

Both.

The "plastic" isn't plastic, but rather a nice feeling polymer. I know we all like to refer to non-metal as "plastic", but I don't feel it's fair to do so - at least not unless it feels "cheesy" - this stuff is not. That isn't to say that it's "Glock quality", but it's better than I had expected.

The polymer parts that I can identify are as follows:

- The faux gas tube including the part that is attached to the barrel as well as the bottom portion in front of the hand guard. (where the sling attachment is)

- The black "spacer" part that is at the rear of the upper hand guard. (in front of the rear sight)

- The charging handle (I note a minimum of three points where it is attached to the metal bolt)

- The trigger guard/mag release lever (trigger is metal)

- Side optic mount

- The part on the end of the receiver that the stock attaches to.

The remaining parts all seem to be metal, or aluminum.

(Allegheny County)

Here are some pics of the rifle disassembled.
    I wanted to apply Weapon Shield to all moving parts/pivot points/rails/bore/etc before shooting it, so I sat down and followed the instructions provided in the manual. Aside from some obvious translation-related, oddly worded sentences, it was straightforward, and easy to follow both the text and diagrams.

Minus the stock not shown, these are all of the "parts" as far as one would typically disassemble.

The only "issue" I ran into was the little spring and corresponding unnamed part that fell out of the trigger group when I pulled it out of the frame.

I looked and there is no mention of these parts in the manual. GREAT.

I started looking online and apparently I'm not the first person to run into this problem. A few people mentioned figuring it out, but the pricks didn't bother to say WHERE the parts GO!
    Between reading and watching some videos, I was able to figure it out on my own. For future reference and for anyone who may stumble upon this thread, I'll post a photo that shows the "rod" and spring as the should appear - the "point" on the rod fits in a notch on the left and the spring slides over it...

Then I decided it would be a good idea to further disassemble the trigger group beyond what is recommended.

I wanted to oil the point where the trigger pivots, so I pulled off the side cover...

Then the silver "bar"...

And ANOTHER friggin' SPRING fell out! LOL!

Looked simple enough... goes right HERE...

The problem was that the tab on the back of the plate that the spring presses against wouldn't line up and I couldn't use any tools to compress the spring, allowing me to get that tab in place...

Back to YouTube! LOL!
    I saw that the spring needed to be set in at an angle, allowing that tab to hook it and compress it while sliding it in place, but the spring kept falling down every time I touched it with the tab.

I was getting angry because I wanted to SHOOT this thing in the morning and here I was with a trigger that I couldn't get back together all because I decided it needed to be lubed.

LUBED? THAT'S IT!!! I went and grabbed the tub of Weapon Shield GREASE that I had just purchased. I dunked the end of the spring into it and used the grease to hold it in position while I put the other part over it!

DONE!!!

Well, almost. I also wanted to run a patch with Weapon Shield down the barrel.
    I unscrewed the "cleaning rod" from under the barrel...

Ummm... It's about 6" shorter than the barrel, and has a threaded end. Apparently the cleaning rod is cosmetic only. No biggie.

The rifles are obviously test fired, as evidenced by the semi-dirty patch run through it.

Anyway, I was able to put it all back together without referring to the manual. That says a lot considering my short-term memory and compulsive need to refer to instructions repeatedly "just to be sure".

It really is a pretty easy process. I've read many complaints about the "complex" disassembly, but really - the most annoying part is the need to remove the stock. (2 screws)
    Beyond that, there are only two other screws to remove. Obviously the complainers have never had to take apart a Hi-Point carbine - now THAT is a PAIN.

Hope this info helps someone out there.

Next up - RANGE REPORT!!!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: .22LR GSG-AK47 Accessories

Hello Emptymag - Just joined here and my first post.

I just ordered this GSG AK-47 and am looking for Black pistol grip and handguard. Everywhere I look things are dried up. I can find Mags easy
    but nothing else. I did order a Folding Stock. I also want to put a regular AK Flash Hider on it but understand that I need a thread adaptor. Saw some over at GemTech but not sure what to get yet. The Flash Hiders say 1-14 LH thread and these adaptors are saying Us Std is 2-28 thread. On some Forum they said this weapon has Metric 1-16 thread. I'm at a loss. Since you are the experienced expert I hope you can help.

Thanks Much!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    .22LR GSG (German Sport Guns) AK47 from American Tactical Imports (ATI)

These have been around for a few years, but pricing had been in the "Ummm, I'll pass" range until recently. They can regularly be found for $280-$300 now* (which I still find to be a bit high) and when this went on sale for $249 at Dunham's (Black Friday), I decided I wasn't going to pass it up at that price.
    Note that TWO 24 round magazines are included. Considering that the mags cost between $30 and $40 each, I think it's worth mentioning.

*I typed this well before the panic buying of late mid-December

I had taken pics of it in the box as well as a ton of closeups, but apparently the lighting wasn't good enough, and most didn't turn out sharp enough for my liking, so I'll have to re-do them. Here are a few pics I salvaged though...

The rifle comes with the rear stock detached. There are some cheap tools included that allow for quick assembly without having to go find a screwdriver...

Here's a comparison shot with my WASR AK on the bottom...

Oddly, the GSG-AK47 is slightly longer (36 1/4" vs 34 1/2") than my WASR.
    Overall, it is a lot more similar in appearance than I had expected when comparing them side by side.
    The bottom of the receiver is slightly angled and "thicker", near the stock, and there are no traditional "vent holes" in the hand guard. While not exact matches, each of the other visible features is fairly well matched to the original where possible, while some things are modified slightly due to the differing operating needs. For example, the safety has a convenient bolt hold-open notch.

A few more random observations:
    (Note that I have not yet thoroughly read the manual, so I may be missing some things)

The manual seems to be written clearly and has REALLY nice illustrations for dissassembly/etc.
    The gas tube is not functional, but the top hand guard can be removed much the same as a real AK.
    The muzzle nut can be removed and flash hiders/brakes can be installed. The visible barrel is actually a "sleeve" that covers the thinner .22 barrel.
    The receiver cover comes off in the same manner as a normal AK.
    The cleaning rod unscrews and can be removed.
    It has a sling attachment point on the front in standard AK fashion, but none is available on the wooden stock. (I think I'll add one) The polymer furniture version has an attachment on the stock.
    The magazines rock-and-lock in just like the real deal and are very easy to load.
    That little "tab thingy" on the side, above the mag well is something that puzzles may people - it's a tab to hold the optional folding stock in place!

The optic mounting bracket on the side of the receiver is made of a polymer - not "plasicky breaky" feeling, but I'm not sure I'd want to mount an optic to it. I've read that it can be replaced with the real deal though.
    On the topic of sights, I will note that the ONLY thing I'm disappointed in thus far is the rear sight. It LOOKS correct, and operates like a standard AK sight, but it has some side-to-side play.
    I'll see how it goes. I know this won't be used for shooting long range, and it may be fine for "up close", but considering the overall quality of the rest of the rifle, I'm a little let down.

The weight of the rifle is very close to that of my WASR. I tried picking it up off the floor with one hand from several points and they both felt quite similar in comparison. I expected it to be much lighter, as it's "just a 22".

The wood furniture looks very nice on all of the rifles I looked at on the shelf. I don't know what type of wood is used at this point, but I don't get the impression that it will be resistant to dings and scratches. It appears to be stained only, although it's possible it could be a stain/finish combo of some sort - it is "flat" in color.
    Note that several of the GSG AK47s I handled had some play in the furniture (mainly the front handguard), so I'm happy I went and was able to pick one off the rack.

Now for some more pics!

I'm guessing that one's overall satisfaction with this particular rifle will depend on what you are expecting going into it.
    If you are expecting an AK47 battle-ready rifle in .22 caliber, you will likely be very disappointed.
    If you are expecting an inexpensive plinker with the LOOK of an AK47, you will likely be pleasantly surprised by this rifle.

Oh yeah... there are a bunch of accessories that can be added!

Mag coupler
    Flash hider
    weapon light
    "Triangle" (open) folding stock
    Solid folding stock
    Fore grip
    2 polymer front rail systems (replace front hand guards)
    Scope mounts

Hope you enjoyed the informal "review"!
    I'll keep it updated and post more pics and range review as I go.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: .22LR GSG-AK47 Accessories

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Col Bazooka Joe Kilroy View Post
    Hello Emptymag - Just joined here and my first post.

I just ordered this GSG AK-47 and am looking for Black pistol grip and handguard. Everywhere I look things are dried up. I can find Mags easy
    but nothing else. I did order a Folding Stock. I also want to put a regular AK Flash Hider on it but understand that I need a thread adaptor. Saw some over at GemTech but not sure what to get yet. The Flash Hiders say 1-14 LH thread and these adaptors are saying Us Std is 2-28 thread. On some Forum they said this weapon has Metric 1-16 thread. I'm at a loss. Since you are the experienced expert I hope you can help.

Thanks Much!
    Well, I'm not really an expert, but I did find a railed forearm on ebay just now. Double check, but I think this is the right one.

Congrats on the folder. They seem a bit hard to find at times.
    I'm glad I picked up mine when I did. It works great and makes it nice and compact while still allowing it to be fired with it folded.

I've never actually seen a black polymer grip, but then I never looked for one either.
    I was initially going to do the flash hider thing too, but never got around to it, so I don't have any insight as to what the threads are, or what is needed to do it.

Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast