Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: .22LR GSG-AK47 from American Tactical Imports

Why in hell are the magazines 24 rounds and not 30? My OCD is tweaking over that.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    Why in hell are the magazines 24 rounds and not 30? My OCD is tweaking over that.

I wondered the same thing.
    My 22 AR mags are the same way. Some are 25, some 28...

If I had to guess, they designed the mag from the outside dimensions in and whatever they ended up being able to fit in there was fine.

I wish they offered mags without the open slot in the side too, but it does make loading them a breeze.

Sadly the drum mags never materialized for these. (as far as I know)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

Hi Emptymag,

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to know that what I have been trying to find really is hard to find! Makes me feel better...in a way. I wanted the open metal skeleton frame folding stock but only found a Solid Black folder. If you go on Youtube to watch the Reviews, there's a fellow who has an all black one. But I do believe that was the Stock version that came right from GSG. So probably that was NOT a folding stock. All the furniture was black. I liked the front handguard on it as it was simple and clean not Quad Rails all over the place. So far on the AK Flash Hider it looks like I will need to find an adaptor. I think GemTech may have what I need. Can you tell me what are the Specs on the muzzle threads INSIDE once you unscrew the factory barrel tip?? That will help a lot. At the GemTech site they say they have one that will convert to the US Std 2-28 Thread. The Flash Hiders I've seen so far are 1-14 LH thread. On some other forum someone said the threads on the front inside of the SGS are Metric 1-16 but that is only heresay.

The other thing that no one knows is can ANY regular AK Furniture or accessories fit on the GSG?? I can't see what can be so different about a Pistol Grip with a screw at the top. The front handguard furniture should be the same but then again you should how the GSG is a tiny bit longer. I wonder if that affected the furniture specs?

If you can help with any of these questions I'd appreciate it.

How does it shoot? Any feed problems or misfires? How about range and accuracy?

Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Col Bazooka Joe Kilroy View Post
    Hi Emptymag,

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to know that what I have been trying to find really is hard to find! Makes me feel better...in a way. I wanted the open metal skeleton frame folding stock but only found a Solid Black folder. If you go on Youtube to watch the Reviews, there's a fellow who has an all black one. But I do believe that was the Stock version that came right from GSG. So probably that was NOT a folding stock. All the furniture was black. I liked the front handguard on it as it was simple and clean not Quad Rails all over the place. So far on the AK Flash Hider it looks like I will need to find an adaptor. I think GemTech may have what I need. Can you tell me what are the Specs on the muzzle threads INSIDE once you unscrew the factory barrel tip?? That will help a lot. At the GemTech site they say they have one that will convert to the US Std 2-28 Thread. The Flash Hiders I've seen so far are 1-14 LH thread. On some other forum someone said the threads on the front inside of the SGS are Metric 1-16 but that is only heresay.

The other thing that no one knows is can ANY regular AK Furniture or accessories fit on the GSG?? I can't see what can be so different about a Pistol Grip with a screw at the top. The front handguard furniture should be the same but then again you should how the GSG is a tiny bit longer. I wonder if that affected the furniture specs?

If you can help with any of these questions I'd appreciate it.

How does it shoot? Any feed problems or misfires? How about range and accuracy?

Thanks!
    Yes, you can buy the GSG AK47 with either the wood, or the black furniture from the factory. I thought I had seen the "non-railed" replacement front handguard you're talking about in the past, but can't be 100% sure.

I doubt the fore end furniture from a standard AK would fit. I just went and looked at it sitting next to the WASR in my safe and the wood looks wider on the GSG by about 1/8".
    The pistol grip? Hmmmm... not sure. It looks pretty close and I'd offer to pull them off to see if they will swap, but I have my WASR grip wrapped with cord for better grip and it goes through the trigger guard which means I'd have to unwrap it, and I don't want to do that because it wasn't easy to get it fastened the way I wanted it.

I wouldn't even know how to check to see what the specs are on the muzzle threads.

I've never really taken the time to test it for accuracy, but at close ranges up to about 75 feet it hits the target well enough and even when not taking slow, controlled shots.

Mag dumps are fun and I've not had any trouble with it aside from an occasional stovepipe - just pull back the charging handle to release the spent case, tip it to drop it out of the way, and let the handle fly to load the next round, and keep shooting... Is it the gun? Is it me shooting too fast? Is it the ammo? I lean towards the ammo seeing as it's 22LR.

It seems to eat what I feed it so far.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Yes, you can buy the GSG AK47 with either the wood, or the black furniture from the factory. I thought I had seen the "non-railed" replacement front handguard you're talking about in the past, but can't be 100% sure.

I doubt the fore end furniture from a standard AK would fit. I just went and looked at it sitting next to the WASR in my safe and the wood looks wider on the GSG by about 1/8".
    The pistol grip? Hmmmm... not sure. It looks pretty close and I'd offer to pull them off to see if they will swap, but I have my WASR grip wrapped with cord for better grip and it goes through the trigger guard which means I'd have to unwrap it, and I don't want to do that because it wasn't easy to get it fastened the way I wanted it.

I wouldn't even know how to check to see what the specs are on the muzzle threads.

I've never really taken the time to test it for accuracy, but at close ranges up to about 75 feet it hits the target well enough and even when not taking slow, controlled shots.

Mag dumps are fun and I've not had any trouble with it aside from an occasional stovepipe - just pull back the charging handle to release the spent case, tip it to drop it out of the way, and let the handle fly to load the next round, and keep shooting... Is it the gun? Is it me shooting too fast? Is it the ammo? I lean towards the ammo seeing as it's 22LR.

It seems to eat what I feed it so far.
    =============================

Hi Emptymag - Thanks. You don't need to remove pistol grip. I like how you wrapped it in Paracord. How did you do that, just wing it or was there a technique? I finally got through to ATI and they confirm you can't use regular AK furniture. They had the pistol grip in stock and they ordered the front Upper/Lower HG set. I have to wait for the next shipment from Deutchland [which is every 3 months] for the HG. All parts were cheap. I asked about muzzle threads and they will have a expert call me. I also have a call into Gem-Tech.com. They have an adaptor for a 22LR Suppressor so I'm hoping I can get one to work with AK Flash. You can get AK Flash on Amazon for $8 -$10. I was able to just screw one on my Airsoft no problem.
    It's pretty nice how the Airsofts follow true specs. I was able to order correct Flash / Muzzle tips for all in my collection. Only in USA do they bother us with Orange Tips. Watch all the Euro gamers that play Airsoft on Youtube. They not only don't need Orange tips, the Russian teams built their own Tiger Tanks! So much for Off Topic!

So it's confirmed from ATI no regular AK parts. I ordered a real nice East German Blue/Gray Sling for it. It was Mint Condition.

Where is the cheapest place you have found 24 Rd Mags for the AK?? That is next on my agenda. I see them all over the place so I know they are plentiful. I wish they would make a SHORT 10 rd like they did for the STG-44! Firing these weapons from bench is almost impossible with these long mags. I saw a fellow and stole an idea to get a nice sturdy LAB JACK then get a small U shaped Sand Bag that can tie on top. You can then crank the knob on the Lab Jack and crank it up 12 inches as a Front Gun rest. That was how I fired the STG-44 until I found the Short 10 rd mag.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Col Bazooka Joe Kilroy View Post
    =============================

Hi Emptymag - Thanks. You don't need to remove pistol grip. I like how you wrapped it in Paracord. How did you do that, just wing it or was there a technique? I finally got through to ATI and they confirm you can't use regular AK furniture. They had the pistol grip in stock and they ordered the front Upper/Lower HG set. I have to wait for the next shipment from Deutchland [which is every 3 months] for the HG. All parts were cheap. I asked about muzzle threads and they will have a expert call me. I also have a call into Gem-Tech.com. They have an adaptor for a 22LR Suppressor so I'm hoping I can get one to work with AK Flash. You can get AK Flash on Amazon for $8 -$10. I was able to just screw one on my Airsoft no problem.
    It's pretty nice how the Airsofts follow true specs. I was able to order correct Flash / Muzzle tips for all in my collection. Only in USA do they bother us with Orange Tips. Watch all the Euro gamers that play Airsoft on Youtube. They not only don't need Orange tips, the Russian teams built their own Tiger Tanks! So much for Off Topic!

So it's confirmed from ATI no regular AK parts. I ordered a real nice East German Blue/Gray Sling for it. It was Mint Condition.

Where is the cheapest place you have found 24 Rd Mags for the AK?? That is next on my agenda. I see them all over the place so I know they are plentiful. I wish they would make a SHORT 10 rd like they did for the STG-44! Firing these weapons from bench is almost impossible with these long mags. I saw a fellow and stole an idea to get a nice sturdy LAB JACK then get a small U shaped Sand Bag that can tie on top. You can then crank the knob on the Lab Jack and crank it up 12 inches as a Front Gun rest. That was how I fired the STG-44 until I found the Short 10 rd mag.
    Is the kick too much when you stand up and shoulder it?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    Is the kick too much when you stand up and shoulder it?
    No, it's just we got neurotic strict rules at range. Want to make sure it's sighted in, etc.

Someone was asking about why GSG made an odd size mag. I found nice 30rders made by ProMag over at Midway. I want to see if they are much longer than the GSG ones. It's odd that they made their mags hold only 24...

(Delaware County)

Got the 30 rd mags from Midway today, they are great. About a good inch longer that the 24 rd that came with it. Also got the black pistol grip and installed that. Waiting on other parts. Saw a nice video of it firing on Youtube. The guys were testing various ammo and the Remington Golden Bullet were the cheapest with most misfires. Federal & CCI the best.

(Delaware County)

Does anyone know where I can get the Black Polymer upper & lower front handguards for the GSG AK47? Does anyone have any for Sale?

Are there any other Vendors that make them besides GSG? I've heard you cannot use standard AK parts. Looking at the many pics here it does appear the upper is a little shorter. So they probably won't work.

Thanks

(Berks County)

I have a GSG AK 47 22 and I love the weapon. I know they don't make it anymore, but ATI used to offer a flash hider for it. I know I don't need a flash hider on a .22 LR, but I like the look.
    I cannot find one. I even looked on Ebay.
    Does anyone have any idea where I can find one.
    I know that "gentech" makes an adapter, but I don't know if I want to spend that much........................Accept as a last resort.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast