Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Question about gun ownership in a multi-gun, multi-carry family

I've been talking with my local gun shops about this and I get a different opinion from every employee.

In our house there are three people. we are all licensed to CC. we all own handguns and long guns. Could someone who knows the law tell me if I can CC my wife's handgun and vis-versa. I also need to know If We can use each others long guns. For instance, can I take my sons 10/22 to the range without him present, but with his knowledge?

The other thing i'm repeatedly told, and I think is false, is that I can buy a long gun for an immediate family member (wife, son) who lives in the same house as I do as long as they are not a "prohibited" person? I was under the impression that if you bought for someone else it was called a "Straw purchase" and illegal.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Default Re: Question about gun ownership in a multi-gun, multi-carry family

I'm not a lawyer, and I'm sure people will come in with much more details than me, but this is what I know.

Transfers between spouses are legal without a FFL, as are between parent and child. So, as long as every family member you are referring to is not prohibited and over the age of 18, guns can be transferred to each other by simply handing it to them. Keep in mind this doesn't go for sibling to sibling if there are multiple children involved, for whatever stupid reason. Buying a gun for a spouse/child isn't considered a 'straw purchase' as long as it is a gift, and no paperwork needs to be done for the transfer.

Also, you mentioned you all carry with licenses. Anyone with a LTCF can carry a borrowed firearm, so you carry or bring each others guns to the range with no problems.

There is no registration, but the sales database is sometimes used by the police during traffic stops and other interactions. This could lead to problems if you carry a borrowed gun, but as long as the gun isn't reported stolen they have no legal basis for taking it. If all family members have the same last name I doubt they would give you a hard time, but as proven on here before anything can happen.

Hope that helps. People will be along shortly to cite this all more specifically.

Here is a summary flyer of your PA gun rights along with citation of law: http://paopencarry.org/pdfs/Pennsylvania_Gun_Rights.pdf
    will that extra 15% matter? not as much as being able to put one in their face. ~Edg

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks JPG, I read the link and it appears that brother to brother needs a FFL yet father to son doesn't. Odd but good to know, I'll have to check to see what all handguns are registered to my brother and father.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdogs View Post
    Thanks JPG, I read the link and it appears that brother to brother needs a FFL yet father to son doesn't. Odd but good to know, I'll have to check to see what all handguns are registered to my brother and father.
    There is no registry in Pennsylvania. There is only a sales database. The database is sometimes illegally used as a registry. I do not think a non LE individual has acess to the database.

Just to point out, the law is different in regard to handguns and longguns.

Here is a link to the statutes:
    http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Delaware County)

Almost forgot, gun shop employees are usually not a great choice to get the correct information from when it comes to the gun laws. Cops are probably a worse choice. Random internet people is probably the worst choice of all.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Jefferson County)

Similar question:
    My brother and I both live in the same house and we both carry. Assuming I understand this correctly, we can carry each others arms, we just can't buy for one another or claim ownership. Correct?

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by newman attack View Post
    Similar question:
    My brother and I both live in the same house and we both carry. Assuming I understand this correctly, we can carry each others arms, we just can't buy for one another or claim ownership. Correct?

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android
    To clarify, anybody with a LTCF can borrow a firearm from any other PA resident. But permanent handgun transfers (ownership) between siblings requires an FFL.