Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LTCF procedure observations

Hi, I'm new here and just received my LTCF from Chester County. Just wanted to pass on a few things I learned ...

1) The 2nd page of the application must be stapled to the 1st page, even though there's nothing to fill out on the 2nd page. (The 2nd page is considered part of the application.)

2) Social security number is required, even though it's indicated as being optional. I was told this is needed to perform the background check.

3) Under "reason applying" for LTCF, you can't just indicate target shooting. You must also indicate another reason ("self defense," etc.)

I received the LTCF in 23 days. Hope this helps others get through the process smoothly!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: LTCF procedure observations

1) The application is to be 1 page, if I recall from the UFA.

2) The SSN is optional, and they cannot require it, but you may freely provide it if you wish.

3) The reason is for the most part meaningless in PA, but if I remember correctly some states we have reciprocity with require a reason. Personally, I put SD each time I've renewed, just because that's what it's for, but it has no real bearing on carrying inside of PA.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by JRS View Post
    Hi, I'm new here and just received my LTCF from Chester County. Just wanted to pass on a few things I learned ...

1) The 2nd page of the application must be stapled to the 1st page, even though there's nothing to fill out on the 2nd page. (The 2nd page is considered part of the application.)

2) Social security number is required, even though it's indicated as being optional. I was told this is needed to perform the background check.

3) Under "reason applying" for LTCF, you can't just indicate target shooting. You must also indicate another reason ("self defense," etc.)

I received the LTCF in 23 days. Hope this helps others get through the process smoothly!

That's awesome....but not in a good way. This is why you should never get your legal advice from your average cop (there are some above-average cops, but they wear the same uniform, and can only be identified through careful discussion.)

First, the Application is only 1 page. That's a statutory thing, not open to local changes (see in red below):

§ 6109. Licenses

(a) Purpose of license.--. . . .

(b) Place of application.--. . . .

(c) Form of application and content.--The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. One of the following reasons for obtaining a firearm license shall be set forth in the application: self-defense, employment, hunting and fishing, target shooting, gun collecting or another proper reason.

Second, there's case law on the Social Security number being required in the context of firearms, and they lost that one.

Third, "target shooting" is one of the enumerated, statutorily-sufficient reasons for an LTCF (see in blue, above).

I wonder if they'd get it right if we paid them and gave them offices and solicitors and stuff....
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Beaver County)

No triple face palm pics in your inventory Streaker???

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post

1) The application is to be 1 page, if I recall from the UFA.

2) The SSN is optional, and they cannot require it, but you may freely provide it if you wish.

3) The reason is for the most part meaningless in PA, but if I remember correctly some states we have reciprocity with require a reason. Personally, I put SD each time I've renewed, just because that's what it's for, but it has no real bearing on carrying inside of PA.
    Interesting ... I'm new to this, but I'm slowly learning that there are a lot of different interpretations to the law/UFA. Thanks -

(Lancaster County)

Interesting ... I'm new to this, but I'm slowly learning that there are a lot of wrong interpretations to the law/UFA. Thanks -
    Fixed that for you. I think the UFA is pretty clear when it comes to the license process.

(Lehigh County)

Welcome to Pafoa!
    Requiring the social is illegal as far as I know, and I wouldn't do it simply because they demanded it. You can indicate any reason you want as long as there is a box for it, and I think the second page is instructions (that's how my county was)

You gotta fight, for your right, to caaarrrrrrry! But first you gotta find out what rights you have. Good luck! This forum can greatly help you with that!
    Last edited by yeager484; December 28th, 2012 at 03:46 PM.

I would supply the SSN if my name were "Juan Perez" or "Robert Jones" or some other absurdly common name.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I would supply the SSN if my name were "Juan Perez" or "Robert Jones" or some other absurdly common name.
    Which is exactly why I don't supply mine, since my name is uncommon enough.

(Berks County)

Just FYI the social security number case is Stollenwerk v Miller:

http://www.paed.uscourts.gov/documen...s/06D0225P.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast