Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default California woman shot to death while on the phone with 911!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080320/...77rJKpcj2s0NUE

How could this happen...with all those gun laws and such in CA? Hmmmmm....

WEST COVINA, Calif. - A woman was asking a 911 dispatcher for help when her pleas were interrupted by gunshots, then silence. She was shot to death.

The woman told the dispatcher someone was trying to break into her home in upscale West Covina, Los Angeles County sheriff's Lt. Dan Rosenberg said. "Deputies heard gunshots followed by silence and an open phone line," he said.

Deputies arrived at the house, 20 miles east of Los Angeles, a few minutes after Wednesday's late morning call.

The woman, whose name was not released by police, had been shot several times. Paramedics pronounced her dead at the scene.
    "At this point we believe it was a burglary gone awry," Rosenberg said.
    Investigators are trying to determine if anything was taken, Deputy Luis Castro said.

While police were investigating the shooting, a man arrived at the home asking about his wife.

When he heard that the woman had been shot and killed, he collapsed and started to cry, saying "No! She just called me. You lie."
    The man was placed in a patrol car and taken to a sheriff's station, police said.

Witnesses said they saw one or more men running from the house, Rosenberg said.

Investigators used bloodhounds to conduct yard-to-yard searches.
    No arrests had been made by Thursday morning, deputies said.
    As a precaution during the search, a high school and an elementary school were locked down for about two hours, police Lt. Dan Brooks said.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: California woman shot to death while on the phone with 911!

"At this point we believe it was a burglary gone awry," Rosenberg said.

Anyone else read this as making excuses for the friggin' criminal?

"Oh, I'm sure it wasn't his intent to kill the woman... I'm sure he was just looking to take some jewelry and be on his way, but then he found the woman on the phone with 911, and, well..."

Went awry, my ass.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

Completely agree EM. A burglary can't go awry because it's not normal to begin with !!!!

Sadly, this only strengthens CA and the anti's argument even more though because a gun was used. If there were a nationwide gun ban, this wouldn't have happened, because obviously the gun was leading the person.

I wonder what they would answer if the woman had been stabbed, or beat to death instead...

911 is unfortunately "dial a prayer" the call takers can so many damn questions it can be frustrating. the only way to deal with an intruder is run or shoot.

very sad for the family.

Ed

(Susquehanna County)

When you can't defend yourself. What makes you think the police are leaving their coffee and donuts to get to you.

Wasn't a kid beaten to death on a church steps in Phila. While the 911 operators was arguing with the person who called it in ?? Can't remember the year or if it was Eddie who was mayor at the time or Wilson Good

(Cumberland County)

if this woman had been armed and trained to use it this would have neever happend

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    When you can't defend yourself. What makes you think the police are leaving their coffee and donuts to get to you.

Wasn't a kid beaten to death on a church steps in Phila. While the 911 operators was arguing with the person who called it in ?? Can't remember the year or if it was Eddie who was mayor at the time or Wilson Good
    I remember that night . I forget who the mayor was .but the 911 asshats were real ignorant .

Ed

(Chester County)

One more example of why we need to be able to defend ourselves. The police are never going to be able to protect you. They almost always show up after the fact. That's why we, as citizens, are unable to sue the police department for dereliction of duty. They do not have a duty to protect...no matter what it says on the rear quarter panel of their cruisers. Home invasion robberies are one of the most dangerous situations a homeowner can face. Instead of depending on 911 this poor woman would have been better off depending on 1911. I feel for her and her husband.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post

Wasn't a kid beaten to death on a church steps in Phila. While the 911 operators was arguing with the person who called it in ??
    Can't remember the year or if it was Eddie who was mayor at the time or Wilson Good
    Yeah his name was Eddie Polec. Here's a link to an article that mentions how the 911 system failed on the night of his fatal beating: http://www.northeasttimes.com/2004/1111/polec.html

Other news articles regarding Eddie's murder case:
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...50C0A960958260

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...olec%26hl%3Den

(Jefferson County)

That article is reason why burglary is considered a forcible felony in nearly all states. forcible on the level of rape, kidnapping, murder, etc..

The only state I can think of that she couldn't have fought against a burglar is NC.

She should have been armed, she should have dialed 357 along with 911.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast