Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Marksmanship Training...

Hello Everyone. I have been reading your forums for a while now, and have learned many usefull things from all of you. So to start, I would like to say Thanks!

I am 29 years old, and did not grow up in a gun owning family. I have always wanted to learn how to hunt however, and was finally given the opportunity 3 years ago. I married a wonderful woman with a father who has taken the time to give me some basic training and all the tools neccessary. However, this season I realized that what I could use the most work on is Marksmanship. Specifically with a rifle. I was wondering what was available for some sort of instructor led class (or preferable a one on one class). I just want to ensure that I have the basics down, and am as accurate as possible.

That being said, at the moment I want to train with my .22 (for cost and to protect my shoulder) before getting around to the .270 I will be using coming deer season. Any ideas?

Default Re: Marksmanship Training...

I recommend asking at some of your local gun clubs. Most clubs offer NRA courses for a small fee (usually about $25). These courses are well organized, led by trained instructors, and accredited by the NRA. The following site will let you search what is available in your area by zip code

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

There are plenty of very experienced and well qualified folks on the forum. However, there are also people out there that will gladly take your money and teach you bad habits. Start off on the right foot and insist on an NRA certified instructor.

Good luck

(Westmoreland County)

We just scheduled a carbine course which I am going to post to our website this evening but we also host a class called "practical rifle" instructed by Randy Cain.

I'm sure we'll have him back for this course in 2013.

Here is the web page containing the details of the course from 2012.
    http://www.fireinstitute.org/fire_practical_rifle.htm

Here is a brief overview.

A word or two about the Practical Rifle course.

This was without a doubt the most fun I've ever had in a formal training course. It's organized around fighting with a bolt action rifle and thus many of the drills are similar to what you'll find in a typical carbine course. I would never have believed you could shoot on the move with a bolt gun all the while topping off the magazine and running the bolt. There is one particular drill conducted at dusk prior to the night shoot that is very interesting in terms of the performance of optics. It will also give you an idea of the physical endurance and stamina required to be a sniper.

Wait until you have to keep the rifle topped off at night! Don't construe this as *it's impossible* because it isn't. The night shoot is the evening of TD2. After two fulls days of topping off the rifle you do get the hang of it. There is another drill, conducted during the night shoot, where the entire line participates. Randy's class was the first I'd ever done it. It is a non-typical drill that puts to the test your rifle loading skill learned during the first two days. There is also a two man team drill that is WAY cool. Lots of steel targets in this course and a scrambler drill on twin lollipops which is quite challenging once they start *bobbing* and *weaving* from bullet impacts.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    We just scheduled a carbine course which I am going to post to our website this evening but we also host a class called "practical rifle" instructed by Randy Cain.

I'm sure we'll have him back for this course in 2013.

Here is the web page containing the details of the course from 2012.
    http://www.fireinstitute.org/fire_practical_rifle.htm

Here is a brief overview.

A word or two about the Practical Rifle course.

This was without a doubt the most fun I've ever had in a formal training course. It's organized around fighting with a bolt action rifle and thus many of the drills are similar to what you'll find in a typical carbine course. I would never have believed you could shoot on the move with a bolt gun all the while topping off the magazine and running the bolt. There is one particular drill conducted at dusk prior to the night shoot that is very interesting in terms of the performance of optics. It will also give you an idea of the physical endurance and stamina required to be a sniper.

Wait until you have to keep the rifle topped off at night! Don't construe this as *it's impossible* because it isn't. The night shoot is the evening of TD2. After two fulls days of topping off the rifle you do get the hang of it. There is another drill, conducted during the night shoot, where the entire line participates. Randy's class was the first I'd ever done it. It is a non-typical drill that puts to the test your rifle loading skill learned during the first two days. There is also a two man team drill that is WAY cool. Lots of steel targets in this course and a scrambler drill on twin lollipops which is quite challenging once they start *bobbing* and *weaving* from bullet impacts.

$495 tuition
    $30 range fee
    cost of 500 rounds
    transportation to/from TN
    lodging
    meals

Sounds like a great training program but certainly out of my price range and probably far more than many entry level shooters are looking to spend. With that said there is obviously a demand for this out there or you guys wouldn't be in the business! Maybe something to add to the wish list for the next time we are in TN.

(Allegheny County)

The best thing you can do (for your particular needs) is find and participate in a Appleseed shoot.

Details here: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

2013 Schedule for PA: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-...e=Pennsylvania
    Toujours prêt

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    $495 tuition
    $30 range fee
    cost of 500 rounds
    lodging
    meals

Sounds like a great training program but certainly out of my price range and probably far more than many entry level shooters are looking to spend. With that said there is obviously a demand for this out there or you guys wouldn't be in the business! Maybe something to add to the wish list for the next time we are in TN.
    The course is held in Pittsburgh.

It is an entry level course. There are no prerequisites.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    $495 tuition
    $30 range fee
    cost of 500 rounds
    lodging
    meals

Practical Rifle is conducted here in Pittsburgh. Randy Cain is headquartered in Tennessee, but he travels. The 2013 session is going to be held on June 21-22-23 (Friday through Sunday).

If all a body wants is some marksmanship training, it would be over-kill. This is for someone who wants to quit screwing around and really become grounded in all aspects of being a rifleman, as well as to really learn his rifle.

We have all heard the saying, "Beware the man with one rifle; he probably knows how to use it." This course is about becoming that man with one rifle.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    The best thing you can do (for your particular needs) is find and participate in a Appleseed shoot.

Details here: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

2013 Schedule for PA: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-...e=Pennsylvania
    This was to be my suggestion too. I've haven't done it...yet....but have heard nothing but good things.

One more day to get the discount price

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAHunter1183 View Post
    That being said, at the moment I want to train with my .22 (for cost and to protect my shoulder) before getting around to the .270 I will be using coming deer season. Any ideas?
    Please correct me if I am wrong (and I could very well be wrong), but I thought you could only use a shotgun for hunting in Alleghany County.

Appleseed plain and simple! Less than $100 for two days! I've taken high speed courses and even if they're entry level, it's still not what you need.

NRA rifle course is a primer, but won't make you any kind of shot really.

Been there, done that on courses, NRA and Appleseed. I'm an experienced shot, former military and been shooting for 33 year (38 years old currently) and Appleseed REALLY improved my technique! And it doesn't start you off somewhere you aren't. You can take your time and actually LEARN there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast