Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lawrence County)

Default Re: Marksmanship Training...

Quote Originally Posted by PAHunter1183 View Post
    Hello Everyone. I have been reading your forums for a while now, and have learned many usefull things from all of you. So to start, I would like to say Thanks!

I am 29 years old, and did not grow up in a gun owning family. I have always wanted to learn how to hunt however, and was finally given the opportunity 3 years ago. I married a wonderful woman with a father who has taken the time to give me some basic training and all the tools neccessary. However, this season I realized that what I could use the most work on is Marksmanship. Specifically with a rifle. I was wondering what was available for some sort of instructor led class (or preferable a one on one class). I just want to ensure that I have the basics down, and am as accurate as possible.

That being said, at the moment I want to train with my .22 (for cost and to protect my shoulder) before getting around to the .270 I will be using coming deer season. Any ideas?
    You have a whole year to get it right.

I'm not an instructor, but I grew up in a family that had a strong interest in guns and hunting. I shot my deer, free-hand and on the run this year at 200 yards. Last year, my father shot his free-hand and on the run at 300 yards. It's certainly doable and I've seen it done many times.

I'd show you the basics for free.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyWhiteGuy View Post
    Please correct me if I am wrong (and I could very well be wrong), but I thought you could only use a shotgun for hunting in Alleghany County.
    That would be correct when hunting in Allegheny county.

Lycannocharityanymorethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Lawrence County)

I'd take Lycanthrope up on that offer. I was already shooting Expert when qualifying with the M16. The little tips he showed me helped me put rounds through the 6" shot spotter out at 300 yards. Almost nailed the spindle holding it onto the target a few times too.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    The best thing you can do (for your particular needs) is find and participate in a Appleseed shoot.

Details here: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

2013 Schedule for PA: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-...e=Pennsylvania
    This looks like something that I would be very interested in. Certainly inline with my political orientation. However, the information on the website on shooting instruction was somewhat limited. Is Appleseed a good marksmanship course or is it more of an introduction to rifle? Either way I think that I will do it but am curious.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    This looks like something that I would be very interested in. Certainly inline with my political orientation. However, the information on the website on shooting instruction was somewhat limited. Is Appleseed a good marksmanship course or is it more of an introduction to rifle? Either way I think that I will do it but am curious.
    It's as much rifle marksmanship as can be jammed into a weekend. It is not like a basic NRA course that will give you nomenclature, cleaning etc, but we'll help with that too if time allows.

Things covered:

Safety
    Sling use
    Positions - prone, sitting, kneeling, standing
    Six steps to firing the shot - sight alignment, sight picture, respiratory pause, front sight, trigger, and follow through
    Natural Point of Aim
    Sighting in using "inches, minutes, and clicks"
    Rifleman's cadence
    Known distance - trajectory, comeups, wind etc.
    ..and anything else we have time for.

Lots of shooting (500 rounds or so) using all of the things we teach. Courses of fire combine positional shooting, transitions, magazine changes and time restrictions.

...and whenever we take a break you'll hear the compelling story of April 19, 1775.

The "latest news" section of AppleseedUSA.org is a good place to find hundreds of accounts from people around the country.

(Westmoreland County)

Appleseed seems to strongly recommend a semi (a Ruger 10/22 in particular). In my .22 LR 'arsenal' I have a 10/22 and a Savage MkII. I would want to do Appleseed w/ my 14 yr. old son. I am thinking about picking up a S&W 15-22, but now is a bad time to get such an 'evil' gun. Would a bolt gun be OK for Appleseed?

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
    It's as much rifle marksmanship as can be jammed into a weekend. It is not like a basic NRA course that will give you nomenclature, cleaning etc, but we'll help with that too if time allows.

Things covered:

Safety
    Sling use
    Positions - prone, sitting, kneeling, standing
    Six steps to firing the shot - sight alignment, sight picture, respiratory pause, front sight, trigger, and follow through
    Natural Point of Aim
    Sighting in using "inches, minutes, and clicks"
    Rifleman's cadence
    Known distance - trajectory, comeups, wind etc.
    ..and anything else we have time for.

Lots of shooting (500 rounds or so) using all of the things we teach. Courses of fire combine positional shooting, transitions, magazine changes and time restrictions.

...and whenever we take a break you'll hear the compelling story of April 19, 1775.

The "latest news" section of AppleseedUSA.org is a good place to find hundreds of accounts from people around the country.

(Allegheny County)

Appleseed seems to strongly recommend a semi (a Ruger 10/22 in particular). In my .22 LR 'arsenal' I have a 10/22 and a Savage MkII. I would want to do Appleseed w/ my 14 yr. old son. I am thinking about picking up a S&W 15-22, but now is a bad time to get such an 'evil' gun. Would a bolt gun be OK for Appleseed?
    It will work fine with regards to learning basic marksmanship. However, you'll be severely handicapped using a bolt gun because of the timed rapid fire strings.

More here:
    http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/...ppleseed-1.htm

Also, go to YouTube and search "Appleseed shoot".
    Toujours prêt

(Philadelphia County)

I found Appleseed very useful and plan on doing it again.
    Last spring the guy in the lane next to me shot rifleman with a Marlin bolt 22. It was impressive. Not easy but certainly do-able.

(Lackawanna County)

It is A-OK. Unless you are really quick with the bolt you will probably not finish some of the timed targets. Who cares!

Don't get caught up on "hardware" as shooting is 90% "software."

..and if you get frustrated with whatever you bring, instructors almost always have loaners.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12