Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Teaching young kids.... what have you done?

So growing up I lived in a household with only one firearm, and it was hidden and more or less secret. Eventually when I found out about it, if I had been able to find it - I WOULD have messed with it (I hope that I wouldn't have been dumb enough to ND/AD - but that would have depended on my age).

So now I'm raising kids of my own and my oldest is 3 and I'm realizing we need to start coming up with some hard and fast rules for kids and guns, as I have wayyyyy more than my folks had - so hiding them isn't an option. Even if it is - I prefer to gun-proof my kids than gun-proof my house. So what has worked for you?

So far any time oldest daughter brings up, "what's that?" when she notices I'm carrying I take the time to explain, "this is a gun - just like daddy's other tools you can see them if you ask but they are dangerous and you may not touch without permission." I let her safely touch the gun to take away the curiosity and she promptly gets bored and goes about normal play.

I've been planning on getting a starter .22 for her and am thinking that sometime soon we should do that - or at least a BB gun for the back yard.

So here are some questions I'd like y'all's opinion on:
    1. I plan on teaching the basic safety rules to her - should I start now when it might still be confusing for her or wait until she has a little more comprehension?

2. When and how have you started your kids on .22's, BB guns, and the basics?

3. What suggestions do you have to help "gun proof" kids instead of the house?

4. Bonus curveball, for Christmas her grandfather gave her a pop gun from cabellas (cord with a plastic cork on a string) that she has been playing with - should we have any more rules to go with that aside from "don't point it at people"?

5. Any special thoughts on (of course with parental approval) teaching friends and relatives kids that come over? I frequently OC when working around my house, so it has come up and I expect it will more often in the future.

I feel like I'll be a good dad at teaching shooting and gun safety, going to appleseed shoots, etc... once she is a little older - but getting started at a young age has me buffudled. Thanks in advance for the thoughts and opinions.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Teaching young kids.... what have you done?

I'm in the same boat, my son is turning 4 in a few weeks and want to set him on a path to responsible gun handling. For Christmas he got one of those pop guns from cabelas, but I also got him a cap gun, the old school type with the snap rings. I was going to use both to try and teach him safety, but so far isn't interested in the guns at all. The next step was going to be a red ryder bb gun, but not until he starts to show some interest in actually shooting. He does pique his interest when I get one of my guns out to clean or work on.

Dan

(Monroe County)

Gun proofing your child is the best way to protect them. Teach them not to point guns at people, don't touch, etc, etc. At 3 and 4, there isn't a lot that you can do. My children are 11, 8, and 2. Last year I bought a Ruger air rifle for my son (8) and a Savage .22 for my daughter (11). I have taken the time to show them how to shoot and we've gone over the basics. For my little guy, I let him see the guns and I'll ask him, "What's this?" to which he replies, "Ummm, BANG BANG!" I will then follow it up with, "Is this for babies? Or only for Daddys?" Usually he'll say Daddy's. I also don't make a big mystery about them. When the other two ask to shoot, we go shoot. When the baby tells me it's "his turn" (if I happen to be handling a weapon) I will sit with him and let him look at it. I've found (growing up in a household of guns) if you take away the "mystique" of the gun, it ceases to be a problem. Now, I lock up the guns when not in use and I leave them all unloaded (save the one on my hip). Crazy thing is, I never show the baby how to load anything and while getting things together for ducks this year, he took a .22 magazine and tried to load it in the bottom of the shotgun, haha. I told him, "Well correct place, but wrong weapon." Everything was unloaded at the time so hopefully the safety Nazi's won't flame me here.

I started my son with a BB gun when he was 5. I've gone over the safety rules numerous time with him. I saw an idea on this forum early this year that suggested giving a kid a flashlight and having them treat it as a gun. The idea is to make them aware enough of what is in their hand that they are not sweeping you with the beam of light and they are aware of where it is pointing at all times. I wound up taping a cheap thin flashlight to a toy rifle of his and had him practice with it. At first he was sweeping me, my wife and our dog with it. I pointed it out to him every time he did. It helped a lot.

I got him and me a .22 this year. He is 6. I took him to the range once and he did well until a hot shell hit his arm and got stuck there. I will be taking him a lot this year. I want him to grow up with an understanding and respect for guns. Plus it's a good bonding thing for us.

That being said, I still gun proof the house. I know that I have taught him to respect guns and never touch one without my permission, but it's still not something I feel comfortable with. If a gun is not in my possession, it's in the gun safe.
    Last edited by internet troll; December 31st, 2012 at 11:47 AM.

(Crawford County)

I was started with a solid pellet rifle, and I have started other shooters with pellet rifles. The nice thing about a good pellet rifle is that you can get a rifled barrel, which helps improve accuracy. And training accuracy is every bit as important to my mind as training safety.

I currently use a Cosman Venom Dusk (.177) as my own practice rifle. Single shot break barrel, kick is similar to a .22LR, and the ammunition is dirt cheap. Plus, its handy for vermin clearing.
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

First off, you are on the right track! I have elementary school aged children, and my son just turned 21. My brother has two grandsons, so we understand.

It might be early for certain physical education, but it's never too early for mental education.

When I grew up, there was a closet with guns in it. It was in the attic and the door had a lock, which always had the key in it. I often times handled those guns when my dad wasn't around, but always in a safe manner. friends would be shooting birds with BB guns, but I never once fired any of our BB guns out a window like that. It wasn't how we were raised.

Start early, before schools turn them anti-gun. Not an issue in urban areas, but I lost my first two children because they lived with their mother, who wasn't anti-gun, but the school was. I should have educated my children earlier. Didn't make the mistake with my younger ones.

I hold class in the basement, with a whiteboard (good visual aid) and provide quizes. I'm not sure what they enjoy more, the quizes or the shooting! Reptition is the key, so no matte what the subject matter for the new quiz is, I continually place the same safety questions in there. Some of the below is too much for a 4 year old, but do NOT underestimate children. My 7 year old nephew reads at an 11th grade level. Remember, kids have nothing like bills and horrible bosses clogged their bandwith. They aborbs everything especailly what they see!

True/False: If you use true/false questions, always state what the correct answer is, because that's what they'll remember. For example: You should only point a gun at something you want to destroy. True or False. The statement you made is correct and what they'll remember that. Don't get clever, you want them to learn.

Red RiderStill my brother's grandon's favorites, but I have my issues with it. When they want to load it themselves, they are placing the muzzle on to the floor to cock the lever. It teaches bad form, so if it were me I would simply load it for them until they are old enough. When my son went to a hunter's ed class, during a break, myself and a couple other dads corrected the teacher for sweaping the room with the muzzle of an airgun. He said, "it's an airgun." I said, they don't see an airgun. They see a muzzle being pointed at them by someone of authority, thereby deducing that it's ok. He understood and we moved on.

Gun Types I break it down like this:

Airguns - BB/Pellet. I also explain Springer/Pump/CO2
    Airsoft guns
    Traditional firerarms

Airsoft We use BB and pellet guns. However, the grandsons are into airsoft and that presents a challenge. Airsoft guns, with proper safety gear, are used to shoot at each other, like paintball. So to your pop-gun question. Now, you have to take great care to explain that pellet/BB guns are different and that they cannot be pointed at each other. Even though my kids do not yet have airsoft, I'm explaining the differnce, so they understand.

Guns at friend's houses We don't talk about guns at school, or dad's guns, etc. If they see a gun in someone's house, they are told to report it to an adult and not to touch it. As far as open carry, that's a tough call. I'm sure it depends on where you live. Some parents might not have an issue with it, but around here I could see some concern. I have thought about starting conversations with parents, letting them know that our are locked and stored. I would NOT teach someone else's children about guns/shooting without their permission. I won't even allow them to shoot airguns without their parents permission.

BTW, when shooting airguns, we use eye/ear protection. Ear not required, but it makes a point.

The S&W15 AR 22 is a great starter 22. The stock adusts to a very short LOP. For a more traditional look, I guess the Chipmunk or something works well. For airguns, there is a Crossman M4, again adjustable AR stock. It's a pump, but 3 pumps gets you where you need to go. 8 pumps gets old real quick. Bekail makes a real nice springer and that's what my daughter started on.

Pop gun It might sound goofy, but teach the child trigger discipline with this gun. Never place your finger on the trigger, until you are ready to fire. My daughter's trigger discpline is remarkable. She just never forgets.

After Sandy Hook, I almost hesitated, but held a class before the following Monday at school. The district told us the LEOs would be there and I figured teachers might start diologue. I spoke with them about what happened (posted that on this forum). I kept it brief and the younger one had more questions, so I dismissed the older child and finsihed with the younger one.

Don't underestimate what these little guys can comprehend and know that they are ALWAYS watching what you do. When my older one and I are shooting, the younger one sometimes seems disinterested, but she's paying VERY close attention.

Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions. I'm no expert, but will hope where I can.
    Last edited by joseywales; December 31st, 2012 at 12:06 PM.
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

(Delaware County)

I have 3 kids and I think it is different for every kid. I know my middle son was infatuated with them, my oldest and youngest could have cared less. I actually took my son to the range when he was 7 so that I could show him that what he saw on tv wasnt the real thing. I stood behind and put both of my hands on his when to shoot my 9mm so that he could not do anything other then pull the trigger. Needless to say after the first shot he was ready to head for the hills. He is now 16 and we have a great time at range because he has a great deal of respect for firearms. Of course you want to teach the basics of never pointing a weapon at anyone and always assuming it is loaded along with double and triple checking to see if it is loaded. But nothing beats taking them to range and letting them see they wont be going rambo or gangster and running down the street with guns ablazing. Not to mention the fact they get the feeling and knowledge that these weapons are not toys and need to be respected. At least that is what worked for myslef.
    Last edited by harty; December 31st, 2012 at 04:44 PM.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

I started hammering gun safety into my kids' heads at as soon as they could talk. Taught them both to shoot at age four. Guns were all over the house, never worried about it because they weren't something hidden and secret.

(Northampton County)

My son is 3½. He has been around guns since he could walk. He has never touched one. I OC everyday. In the house and out and about. He knows not to touch. He knows a water pistol from ours. If I ask him what it is he replies "a gun". I say "what do you do?". He replies "don't touch it". Same thing goes for the stove or kitchen knives. I am so proud of him.

I show him all my new ones when they come home. There is no mystery. I have started telling him he will get his own on his birthday. A bb gun. Then we will work on effect with reactive targets. I imagine I will hold while he "helps" pulling the trigger. At that time I plan on teaching him not to sweep and the like so he will be ahead of the curve when he can handle it himself.

They are never left out for him. Either on body or out of reach. The rest are locked up.
    I am not afraid. I am cautious and persistent though. I trust him but I refuse to enable an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor Snail View Post
    They are never left out for him. Either on body or out of reach. The rest are locked up.
    I am not afraid. I am cautious and persistent though. I trust him but I refuse to enable an accident.
    That's a good point.

ALL of my BB and pellet guns are locked in a cabinet. Even at their elementary school age, I just don't trust it yet. I trust them and have seen no reason yet not to, but they are kids. Plus, friend's kids go into the basement and I haven't trained them...yet
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast