Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Questions about gun ownership in Phila.

Hello,

I am new to this site as I have some questions about gun ownership in Philadelphia and it seems to be hard getting answers about what I need to/should do as a potential gun owner (hand gun). But everyone on this site seems pretty knowledgable, so I am hoping someone can help me with a few questions:

-If I purchase a gun, do I need to register it with the state?
    -If the only place I plan to take my gun is the range, do I need a license to carry concealed (don't own a car, will be walking to the range)?
    -If I buy a gun at a store/show, how do I get it home if I don't have a license to carry concealed?
    -Are there any issues ordering a gun online have having it shipped to your house (such as registration issues?
    -Anyone have any good suggestions on where to go in Phila for good lessons/instruction?

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Questions about gun ownership in Phila.

Welcome to PAFOA.

Quote Originally Posted by mk3617 View Post
    Hello,

There is no gun registration in PA.

-If the only place I plan to take my gun is the range, do I need a license to carry concealed (don't own a car, will be walking to the range)?

I'm not sure about this. Best to get your LTCF.

-If I buy a gun at a store/show, how do I get it home if I don't have a license to carry concealed?

See above.

-Are there any issues ordering a gun online have having it shipped to your house (such as registration issues?

Firearms purchased online must be shipped to an FFL dealer near you.

-Anyone have any good suggestions on where to go in Phila for good lessons/instruction?

What part of Philly are you in? A few of the indoor ranges I've been to offer training?

http://doubletapshootingrange.com/
    http://www.delawarevalleysportscenter.com

Someone with more expertise may be able to answer the other questions.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.
    MikeP

(Philadelphia County)

No registration in PA but a handgun purchase will put you in the illegal database. I think going directly to and from a range is one of the exceptions in Phila. Going directly from a place of purchase to your home is also an exception. So you SHOULD be OK. That being said don't do it. The purchase you could maybe slide on if you keep the receipt with you walking home. I would not carry a range bag around the city with an unloaded pistol in it without a LTCF. Legal or not. If they decide to stop and frisk you for the hell of it they'll take your weapon and you'll go to jail and they'll let your lawyer and the courts sort it out. Philly isn't Pennsylvania. And they don't care. Get your LTCF or get a CCW from Arizona, Utah or Florida. PA LTCF is only $20. Yes Philly will treat you like a criminal and a dirt bag but if you are eligible they WILL eventually grant you one. The only guns you can get in the mail are those that are classified as C & R, provided you have the required FFL for that and black powder rifles/pistols (which is strange but it's allowed I just got one in this manner). IANAL and most of this information was gleaned in one manner or another from this sight.

(Philadelphia County)

I looked into this issue very heavily for hunting arms (rifle, shotgun) and finally decided it was not worth the risk not to have an LCTF for the range. For a handgun, I would not even think about it, even if it were technically legal, especially walking around. All of the regulations about transporting firearms legally without a permit are heavily based around having a vehicle to put them in which made me nervous. We don't have a car (we use Zipcar) so I was not willing to really take any chances. If you don't want to wait to practice, you can maybe find a range that will rent you a gun ($$ but maybe worth the reassurance) while you wait for your license. I did not find the process to be that awful and my interviewer was very nice. My husband's on the other hand gave him a hard time about wanting the license only for hunting and and target shooting saying it wasn't "valid". They want you to indicate "self-defense" on the form.

(Philadelphia County)

No
    My understanding is technically no. Having lived here for over 12 years and being a gun owner here for about 10 I have never had any problems.

Keep the gun unloaded. Keep the magazines unloaded. Keep the ammo in a different compartment of your bag or another bag entirely. Be discrete about it. Certainly go get your LTCF its 20 bucks and 8 weeks. Hell you might even want to use the lock on it.

As mentioned in the previous section.

You cannot have a gun shipped to your house. AFAIK all guns need to be shipped to an FFL dealer unless that gun is already yours and you were sending it out for repair or something. No registration in PA, but private sales between PA residences require a background check for handguns, but no such background check is required for long guns.

I like South Philadelphia Archery and gun. If you buy your gun from them they give you a free basic lesson.

Also, there is Indoor Rifle Pistol Range formerly known as Colosimo. I have been there recently and man it's an awesome range. The owner use to work at Wicens as a range officer and is absolutely awesome. I believe this range would be more cost effective than SPAG, but both are excellent ranges.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by lizard450 View Post
    Also, there is Indoor Rifle Pistol Range formerly known as Colosimo. I have been there recently and man it's an awesome range. The owner use to work at Wicens as a range officer and is absolutely awesome. I believe this range would be more cost effective than SPAG, but both are excellent ranges.
    Dear Mr. Lizard,
    Could you please tell me what is the new name of Colosimo's facility?

Regards,
    WN

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiser Now View Post
    Dear Mr. Lizard,
    Could you please tell me what is the new name of Colosimo's facility?

Regards,
    WN
    Philly Gun Range

http://phillygunrange.com/
    5.56mm, 9mm, .40SW, .44 Mag, .357 Mag, .22LR, 12GA, .45-70, 7.62x54R

(Philadelphia County)

As far as training classes, I took one with Jose from PFT and he's a great guy and the class was awesome. I highly recommend it.

http://www.philadelphiafirearmstraining.com/