Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Basic Defensive Carbine (Full 3-day Course)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    Peter, I have an M&P 15-22 as well and if you would like to borrow it for the class for a student to use Id be more than happy to offer it up.

That's very generous of you.

If we have someone who wants to borrow it, we will connect you and he, and you can loan it directly to him. I don't want to get into the middle, as I will not be the one in charge of the rifle during the course. If you trust 'em, it's fine with me.

Peter

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
    Now, how come you are not pushing your wife to take the class?
    She has a disability, so she's not able to. But she likes having a trained gunfighter in the house. It's really tough when your wife is hounding you to spend hundreds of dollars and three days to go off and train. It's a hardship, but I'll endure it for her.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    She has a disability, so she's not able to. But she likes having a trained gunfighter in the house. It's really tough when your wife is hounding you to spend hundreds of dollars and three days to go off and train. It's a hardship, but I'll endure it for her.
    Yes ... we all have our crosses to bear.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Thanks, Pete. I'll see how badly my behind gets kicked by the Garand when it comes in and I've had a chance to put a few hundred rounds downrange.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Pete, do you have any recommendations for a good 2-point sling?

(Westmoreland County)

Both the Vickers and Viking Tactics are good. The only difference is I've heard from an acquaintance who has experience with both that the Viking Tactics is easier to adjust.

HTH.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
    That's very generous of you.

If we have someone who wants to borrow it, we will connect you and he, and you can loan it directly to him. I don't want to get into the middle, as I will not be the one in charge of the rifle during the course. If you trust 'em, it's fine with me.

Peter
    Sounds good to me.

(Philadelphia County)

I use the magpul sling. Easy to adjust and you can go single point and two point with it. I like it for the versatility.
    "No, I am not a great shot, but I shoot often" - Teddy Roosevelt

(Allegheny County)

Recommending gear is tricky, for a couple of reasons.

First, what works for me, with my rifle, my body and in my applications, will not work as well for someone else with a different rifle and a different body doing different things. Second, no matter what I might recommend, there will be 30 others who insist what I have recommended is a POS and what you really need is .... (Believe it or not, some folks take this trivia very personally.)

My actual recommendation in this particular circumstance would be to get an $8.00 cotton or nylon carry strap, preferably with metal hardware. This is for two reasons.

First, it will limit your investment, and will work just fine. I always recommend against spending a lot of money on any gear until you have some training and experience with the techniques taught. If you are like me and everybody I know, it is unlikely the option you pick now will be what you want later. It is also possible you won’t like the rifle platform at all, and will go in a completely different direction.

Second, learning with a carry strap is a little like learning to shoot with iron sights before moving on to various optics; it helps assure one has a good grounding - in this case grounding in how to control the rifle during transport and deployment - before moving on to "mission specific" mechanical aids.

However, if you are concerned about the fashion trauma associated with the use of a simple carry-strap, I like the Blue Force slings.

The “Vickers Combat Applications” sling does the job well, and is only about $50. The "Combat Applications" model costs a little more with metal hardware, but I don't think you need metal hardware. You can go with a padded version and add $10 to the cost, but you won't need that, either.

Another good option is the Vickers Cobra sling. It's about twice the money. (Okay ... not to upset the pathologically argumentative trolls, one lists for $45 and one lists for $107. That is not exactly twice; but it will depend upon options. Besides, emotionally well-adjusted people understand, and can tolerate, approximations.)

Neither sling comes with the clips, loops or laches necessary to actually attach the slings to your rifle. Depending upon how your rifle is set up, there are literally hundreds of different options for attachment. Look at a couple of web sites for attaching hardware that work with your particular set-up.

With respect to most gear, I usually recommend getting the best one can afford. This is particularly true with respect to the rifle and optics, and it is true with respect to the attachment hardware. You will be shocked at what good hardware costs; but it cost less than crap that will break on day two, leaving you with 550 cord attaching your rifle to the sling (although that works, too).

A carry strap is designed to thread through a sling attachment at 6 O’clock, underneath the front sight assembly, and through a similar attachment ring or a slot found at the rear of the stock. The only hardware you need comes with the sling. Many rifles no longer have those attachment points, however, so you may need a more complex plan.

If you have a choice, for this course you are better off attaching to the rear of the rifle and a spot near the front sight tower. Once you have become a combat-master-ninja-killer-guy (you know, after your second week-end course and a few months on the gun boards), you can find more lethal ways to attach your sling to your gun, with much higher GDI factors.

Once you have accumulated some experience, you always have the option of "upgrading" to whatever “attachment system” you prefer. Or, if you really work with the gun over a period of years, you can come back to the simple stuff that worked fine in the first place.

Last edited by PeteG; February 4th, 2013 at 08:15 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I want to be a combat-master-ninja-killer-guy.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast