Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Is it legal to hunt in PA with a Suppressor?

I mean a legally aquired $200 tax stamp Suppressor.

I have read it both ways posted on forums. I went to the PA Game Comm. website and searching for "Suppressor" or "silencer" finds no matches. It does find "machine gun" and directs to the section banning them from hunting and clasifying what is a MG, so I think I am searching in the right area.

Is this like the OPEN CARRY issue, there is nolaw aginst, therefore it's legal?

I am looking to get a 308 rifle for deer hunting, and if a suppressor is legal for taking game, I will take that into consideration when I make my decision on what to get.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Is it legal to hunt in PA with a Suppressor?

Thats one of the reasons people buy suppressors; so they can hunt on their own land and not disturb the neighbors. I've never heard/seen anything that would say you can't hunt with one.

(Adams County)

I have read that the Game laws do not directly prohibit it, so it's legal.

However the argument I read against it is:

PA Game Laws Sec. 2322. Prohibited devices and methods.
    (a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title or commission regulation, no person shall hunt, kill or take or attempt, aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt, kill or take any big game, except wild turkey, with any of the following devices or methods:

(1) Any device other than a center-fire or muzzle-loading firearm or bow and arrow.

(2) Any automatic or semiautomatic firearm, except that any semiautomatic firearm modified to permit one shell in the chamber and no more than four shells in a magazine may be used by a person who suffered an amputation or lost the total use of one or both hands.

(3) Any firearm propelling more than one projectile per discharge.

(4) Any projectile which is not all lead or which is not designed to expand on contact.

(5) When any big game is swimming.

(6) By any other method or device which is not specifically authorized or permitted by this title or commission regulation.

Number 6 says you can't use a device not specifically authorized or permitted. It may be interpreted a suppressor is such a device if it's not listed as authorized.

(Berks County)

I called the PA Game Commission like over a year ago on this issue. They transfered me to their firearms or something like that branch, which informed me that it was perfectly legal so long as I had the papers, and wasn't using it in any illegal fashion (aka poaching).

(Montgomery County)

I have a copy of a letter around someplace from the PAGC saying its legal, but they dont think its 'sporting".

if i'm shooting groundhogs with my suppressed LTR in 223, i'm using high vel ammo, which means the bullet gets there before the sound of the shot anyway, so unless I'm in a real target rich environment, it doesn't matter except to my ears.
    i value my hearing.

so, hunt away, carry your paperwork, but be prepared to run into a PAGC Officer that will INSIST that hunting with a suppressor is illegal, and wont be able to give you a law cite as to why

happened once, I educated him, and all was well.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Lycoming County)

I would request it in writing that it is ok with the approval of Harrisburg.

When that Warden comes along, the first thing he will do is confiscate, then you will not see your gun for months while they debate it. Along the way if they decide that its not legal say goodbye to the whole kit.
    Jack

(Snyder County)

I got this in writing (email) from the Game Commission about a month ago:

In addition to having your federal license (per my first e-mail), it has been strongly recommended by Bureau of Wildlife Protection legal counsel, that you obtain from us a "special use" permit (cost is only $5) due to the fact that this device is not specifically permitted by the Game and Wildlife (nor is it prohibited). Therefore, to avoid any questions by local residents, we recommend that -- should you already have your federal license, which is the first step required -- you obtain this special use permit from us. A copy would be provided to the local WCO, so that he also will be aware of this unique situation.

(Berks County)

Would you be so kind to email me a copy? I would be more than happy, if someone should desire, to scan it as a PDF, so that it can be posted.

(Berks County)

I have scanned the emails into a PDF if anyone would like them, or if someone wants to post them somewhere.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1927A1 View Post
    I would request it in writing that it is ok with the approval of Harrisburg.

When that Warden comes along, the first thing he will do is confiscate, then you will not see your gun for months while they debate it. Along the way if they decide that its not legal say goodbye to the whole kit.
    Suppressor are perfectly legal to use hunting in PA as long as you don't break any other PA title 34 wildlife laws using it and carry a copy of your NFA paperwork for your suppressor.

If the game warden or anyone else (including police) other than the NFA branch agents attempts to confiscate or take possession of any NFA item without legal authority (unless you are doing something that really is illegal with it) remind them that they are breaking federal law and you will personally see that they will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Personally I use these contact points with "peace" officers as chances to educate them in a positive way, history of NFA, NFA ownership, general firearms ownership (letting them let go a few rounds off is always a sure fire hit) remind them that the line they love to use “ignorance of the law is no excuse” is even a poorer excuse with them sworn to uphold the Constitution and how about giving the next law abiding gun owner they run into a break, first, before they attempt to lay the full force of the law on them. There are so many laws on the books now, that no one including judges, lawyers, or anyone else has any idea WTF they are anymore.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast