Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best EDC Gun?

(Bucks County)

Default Best EDC Gun?

I just received my LTCF, so I'm currently trying to decide on a carry gun. I generally prefer revolvers to semiautos, but for a CC gun, semiautos have a size advantage. So here is my short list of candidates:

Kahr CM9
    Ruger LCR .357
    Diamondback DB9
    SCCY CPX-1, Gen 2
    Kel-Tec PF9
    J-frame S&W (M442 or M638)

I'm open to any advice, for or against any of these guns. Personal experiences are the most valuable. I'm leaning toward the DB9, because there's a $300 used one at a local store where I have a $250 credit.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Best EDC Gun?

I am most likely to carry my Kel-Tec P-32... Very easy to conceal, accurate enough with or without it'd Arma-laser sight. and light. In the winter, with more concealment options, and heavier clothing to penetrate, I tend to carry my SW bodyguard revolver in 38 special. the point is to ALWAYS carry regardless of what it is. The gun you have on you is better than the one you left at home!

Cb

(Lawrence County)

On the list you provided. I'd say the Kahr,Ruger, or S&W. But... It's what you want or are most comfortable with. If you like revolvers more than autoloaders , get a revolver. Then shoot a but load of ammo to be profecient and comfortable. Let us know what you get.

On the list, CM9 or buck up for the PM9.

A few others to consider, S&W Shield 9mm, G19/26.
    and to the dust you shall return

(Cumberland County)

I have a Kahr CM9 and use a crossbreed super tuck and it disappears. I recently picked up a Glock 26 for EDC as I wanted more capacity...i use a crossbreed for that too...a tad bigger than the Kahr but it conceals easily.

(Butler County)

I originally bought a Kahr CW9 to carry after trading in my junk PF9. It is a pretty damn nice firearm, and is definitely compact. I have traded it out for a Glock 19 at this time, though.

You get 15 + 1 in a compact package that is only marginally bigger than the CW9, and it's still very concealable. If I'm not at work or headed to or from work, I'm carrying my Glock 19 in a FoxX Hybrid holster. Mags are much cheaper, and generally easier to find.

I honestly don't see a point in carrying anything smaller than a Glock 19 or something similar in size for an average or larger than average adult male.

(Washington County)

My EDC is a Ruger SR9. My second choice is a Smith 642. My wife carries a Kahr PM9. All great choices in my opinion.

I'd add the Ruger SR9C to your consideration list.

These warnings come straight from the Diamondback Firearms website:

Notice: Due to potential cyclical problems involving recoil energy, Diamondback Firearms does not recommend the use of any 9mm SAMMI Specification ammunition in bullet weights exceeding 124 grain.

The use of +P, +P+, reloaded, or NON-SAMMI Spec ammunition will void the firearms warranty.
    You might want to consider that before making a decision. This may be the reason the former owner traded it in....

(Bucks County)

Okay, sounds like the Kahr is the leader at the moment. I'm going out tomorrow to see what they have at the store, see which one really feels the best.

MonRiver, I was aware of the ammo limitations for the DB9 already, but I appreciate you bringing that up. Have you seen the video of the gun failing catastrophically with +P ammo?

(Centre County)

I say kahr. But I'd go with K9 instead of CM9. Mine has been 100% since day one. Little on heavy side, but with proper holster, you won't feel it it there
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

I have a Kel-Tec PF9. Just shot it for the first time this week.

- Very snappy
    - Jumps in my hands even with a firm proper grip
    - Feed fine except for a FTF and it struck the primer just didn't go off

Not a range toy only a CC gun. You may need to purchase the Houge grip for it. I am about to.

The best one is the one you can shoot the best.
    Last edited by PA1936MN; December 27th, 2012 at 08:26 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast