Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Out of state renew question

I currently have a PA LTCF that expires in Jan. I currently live in NJ but frequently travel back to PA to visit family and I go to my local range that I am a member at too. Question is can I renew my PA permit if I no longer have a PA license and do not have a NJ concealed carry permit since I moved to a communist state? Thanks

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Out of state renew question

No. To get a non-resident PA LTCF you must have a carry license/permit from your state of residence if they issue one. Which NJ says they do.

Get FL or AZ or Utah or something. Or get your NJ and then get a new PA LTCF.

(Delaware County)

I wonder if his current PA LTCF became invalid once he moved to NJ? He was no longer a PA resident and did not fulfill the req'ts for a non-resident license.

Just asking...

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_D View Post
    I wonder if his current PA LTCF became invalid once he moved to NJ? He was no longer a PA resident and did not fulfill the req'ts for a non-resident license.

Just asking...
    PA LTCF's don't automatically become invalid(except by expiration). They have to be revoked.

Under 6109(i) the sheriff shall revoke a LTCF for any reason as listed under 6109(e)(1). Until it is revoked, it is valid. However, not having a license/permit from his new home state is reason for the sheriff to revoke it if he becomes aware that the licensee is no longer a resident of PA and does not have a permit from his home state.

(i) Revocation.--A license to carry firearms may be revoked by the issuing authority for good cause. A license to carry firearms shall be revoked by the issuing authority for any reason stated in subsection (e)(1) which occurs during the term of the permit. Notice of revocation shall be in writing and shall state the specific reason for revocation. Notice shall be sent by certified mail to the individual whose license is revoked, and, at that time, notice shall also be provided to the Pennsylvania State Police by electronic means, including e-mail or facsimile transmission, that the license is no longer valid. An individual whose license is revoked shall surrender the license to the issuing authority within five days of receipt of the notice. An individual whose license is revoked may appeal to the court of common pleas for the judicial district in which the individual resides. An individual who violates this section commits a summary offense.

(e) Issuance of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:
    (i) An individual whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety.
    (ii) An individual who has been convicted of an offense under the act of April 14, 1972 (P.L. 233, No. 64), known as The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act. [FN1]
    (iii) An individual convicted of a crime enumerated in section 6105.
    (iv) An individual who, within the past ten years, has been adjudicated delinquent for a crime enumerated in section 6105 or for an offense under The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act.
    (v) An individual who is not of sound mind or who has ever been committed to a mental institution.
    (vi) An individual who is addicted to or is an unlawful user of marijuana or a stimulant, depressant or narcotic drug.
    (vii) An individual who is a habitual drunkard.
    (viii) An individual who is charged with or has been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year except as provided for in section 6123 (relating to waiver of disability or pardons).
    (ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).
    (x) An alien who is illegally in the United States.
    (xi) An individual who has been discharged from the armed forces of the United States under dishonorable conditions.
    (xii) An individual who is a fugitive from justice. This subparagraph does not apply to an individual whose fugitive status is based upon nonmoving or moving summary offense under Title 75 (relating to vehicles).
    (xiii) An individual who is otherwise prohibited from possessing, using, manufacturing, controlling, purchasing, selling or transferring a firearm as provided by section 6105.
    (xiv) An individual who is prohibited from possessing or acquiring a firearm under the statutes of the United States.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    No. To get a non-resident PA LTCF you must have a carry license/permit from your state of residence if they issue one. Which NJ says they do.

Get FL or AZ or Utah or something. Or get your NJ and then get a new PA LTCF.
    Based on the language of the law as cited by knight0334 in post #4, a Utah or Arizona license won't help. The license must be from your state of residence if that state's laws provide for licenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    Based on the language of the law as cited by knight0334 in post #4, a Utah or Arizona license won't help. The license must be from your state of residence if that state's laws provide for licenses.
    I believe he meant get a non res UT, AZ, etc then he could carry in pa as he did before with the ltcf. Of course that's a different can of worms.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Delaware County)

@Knight0334...

That's pretty much what I meant - just worded it poorly. If he were to notify the issuing sheriff of his change of address to NJ then, per your bolded quotes, the sheriff SHOULD be required to revoke the PA LTCF if the guy didn't/couldn't obtain a NJ permit.

It's kinda moot since his PA LTCF will expire next month.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_D View Post
    @Knight0334...

That's pretty much what I meant - just worded it poorly. If he were to notify the issuing sheriff of his change of address to NJ then, per your bolded quotes, the sheriff SHOULD be required to revoke the PA LTCF if the guy didn't/couldn't obtain a NJ permit.

It's kinda moot since his PA LTCF will expire next month.
    I know.. I just wanted to clarify for the audience and provide the details.

These posts are often read by lurkers. Sometimes I'll reply just for the folks that that don't interact, or for the people who appose our lifestyle who visit our site and then return to their anti-gun sites and use our words against us.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!