Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Looking for a First Handgun

I've been shooting rifles and shotguns for a while now and am looking to take the plunge on a handgun in the near future. I've had the opportunity to shoot a few semi auto 9mm pistols, mostly cz's and like them a lot. They've all been DA/SA with hammers. I like that action and would like to stay there if possible. I've also got a little experience with .357 revolvers. I'm looking for something that will be a solid gun to develop marksmanship skills on as well as something that I could potentially ccw once I'm ready for that. I'm really liking what I'm seeing on the Stoeger Cougar 9mm. Anyone own one or have experience with one. I'm also open to other recommendations in 9mm as well. I'm looking to stay in the 3-4" barrel length range and under $500.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Looking for a First Handgun

Personally, I would go down the Glock road. A G19 would be ideal for all of your purposes. My first handgun was a Sig P220 Carry. It is a wonderful pistol, dont get me wrong, but its heavy, not very high cap, and bulky. Plus .45ACP is not cheap. I picked up a G19, my first Glock, about 2 weeks ago. Its on the cheaper side, but battle proven and all of these fans werent wrong. Its very reliable and requires minimal maintenance. All the best.

(Crawford County)

Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm. Full size weapon for open carry, tucks away nicely for carry conceal. Nice accuracy, trigger is a bit heavy for some. Has a small picatinny before the trigger guard for mounting goodies. Magazine capacity of 17 rounds.

And mine has eaten every different type and manufacture of ammo I've pumped through it: Remington UMC, Magtech, Blazer, HPR, and TulAmmo with zero failures.
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Philadelphia County)

The SW for your action preferences, like poster above said.

I personally am sold on Glock and Springfield XDm's. I've got a few nice 'exotic' 1911's, but for EDC and frequent use, you just can't beat reliability and simplicity that glock offers.

I found 9mm to be a good start, then go with some +P+ 9mm rounds in your 9mm, bring you closer to the .40 and .357sig feel. Then .45ACP is extremely common and will have a completely different feel in your hand than the snap of the +P+ light rounds.

I only carry 10mm now

(Delaware County)

i own glock, SW and HK
    go shoot them and pick the one you like.

they are all great, the G19 2nd gen is a great carry gun, SW M&P9 feels so good in the hand you'll want to sleep with it.

HK is the biggest of the 3 but you just cant beat german guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydas1 View Post
    Personally, I would go down the Glock road. A G19 would be ideal for all of your purposes. My first handgun was a Sig P220 Carry. It is a wonderful pistol, dont get me wrong, but its heavy, not very high cap, and bulky. Plus .45ACP is not cheap. I picked up a G19, my first Glock, about 2 weeks ago. Its on the cheaper side, but battle proven and all of these fans weren't wrong. Its very reliable and requires minimal maintenance. All the best.
    ^ This. Some people say they shoot low and left or have a hard time shooting them. It is because they suck at shooting and/or have never learned how to grip a pistol that was designed to be held with two hands, not because the pistols are defective. Don't let the nay-sayers sway you otherwise

With that being said, the main pistol I shoot is an M&P 9 Pro Series (5" barrel).
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Carbon County)

if you like CZs then the P-07 Duty is the perfect gun....50 bucks less than the glock, more accurate and reliable. i have both and the CZ is my go to gun. If you have not shot one, go shoot one and you will love it

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by kel ruger man View Post
    if you like CZs then the P-07 Duty is the perfect gun....50 bucks less than the glock, more accurate and reliable. i have both and the CZ is my go to gun. If you have not shot one, go shoot one and you will love it
    That's on the short list. The biggest drawback I've seen with them is lack of holster selection. Since I'll be new to carrying, I want to make sure I have options other than going the custom route.

(Carbon County)

they have more then you think. falco makes a nice one, forbus if you like the paddle type, galco and some others. you have to go on line and check around.

Last edited by harold63; December 26th, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast