Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Adjusting rear dove tail sight

Hello

What is the best way to move a stubborn rear sight on a Ruger P model. I have loosened the set screw and tried using a wooden dowel, only for it to chip the wood away. Nothing moved. Is it safe to use something like WD40 or PB Blaster to free it? The slide is stainless. Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Adjusting rear dove tail sight

You will need to find someone (some gunsmiths have them) who has one of these. http://www.opticsplanet.com/laserlyt...l-rl-tool.html

If you can't, go to a Glock armorer and see if their sight pusher will fit your slide well enough to push it. HK also has one if you have an armorer near. If none fit good enough, then you will have to do it cave man style via the brass punch, hammer, and vise method. Brass will dent before the sight will, but it may put marks on the sight. Some of my rear sights look like a cat chewed on them for a few weeks, but I don't plan on reselling any of those guns. If you don't want marks, try to get the sight pusher. If you use a punch, be sure to use a vise, also, to put the slide in, and don't over tighten it. It could take the slide to frame fit out of adjustment.

Edit: The lubes you asked about are safe to use on stainless and the sight, though it may remove the white dots, if you have them. A wooden dowel is worthless on a rear sight that had to be pressed in with any kind of pressure, though some rear sights are not pressed in that tight. A brass punch is the best, IMO, if you don't have access to a sight pusher.
    Last edited by harold63; December 26th, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Monroe County)

Put it in the freezer for a couple of hours then tap it again with the wood dowel while it is still frozen.

Thanks for your input. I just may try the freezer idea as I don't personally know a gunsmith and they are rare in my area. I don't want to damage the sight with nicks and dings.

(Chester County)

300WM has it right but I didn't want to use a vise on the slide.

Here's how I moved mine on a S&W 4516-2:

Remove any set screws and lube the dovetail.

Placed the slide on a form conforming surface. I used a bag of shot but a sand bag should also work.

Using either a brass drift punch or a steel drift punch inserted into a brass case (I used a fired 22LR case) gently tap the punch with a hammer several times to move the sight. - don't overdo it. You may get some brass transfer onto the sight.
    IANAL

(Jefferson County)

Note, some dovetails or dovetail sights are machined for the sight to only be driven out in 1 direction. I cant remember if it is the gun or if it is the sight(or both) that has the slight taper - but there are some dovetail type arrangements that are 1 direction only. In such situations it is just a minor, almost undetectable taper, but enough to keep the sight from going out the "wrong" direction.

Example - the front sight dovetail for the H&R Buffalo Classic and Target models. The sight has to be drifted to the left to remove it(as observed with gun shouldered).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Thanks Tl & Knight. I never thought of using a .22 brass in that manner. I'm going to check with Rugher before doing anything incase of Knights input. + Reps sent to all for assistance as this almost had me getting rid of the gun.