Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Day

(Tioga County)

Default Open Carry Day

Perhaps we could organize and Open Carry Day. we would organize in groups of 4-6 and plan an outing to some public parks about the state. Of course in Philly you would need a permit to carry. in other locals no permit is required. Just show up and eat lunch at a table and wait for some soccer mom to call the law. If you can give a last minute heads up to some local media it might provide for some fun and consternation. It might be nice to have a lawyer take part in the philly area. If some LEO goes over the top a Harrasment lawsuit might be in order. I can see a soccer mom going out of control and getting busted for disturbing the peace or some other such charge. Don't call it a demonstration. so if we keep it under the table, as too keep it a suprize It could prove educational to the public and LE.

Picture it. Some soccer mom calls the law. They show up and determine no law has been broken. The soccer mom goes off the deep end and starts screaming for the LEOs to arrest someone. at that point one of the group points out to the LEO if your really want to arrest someone it looks like she's your huckleberry.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Open Carry Day

By the mere suggestion here we'd be demonstrating, which may require a licence.

If we all wanted to meet and go shooting then happen to hit a resturant later, that wouldn't be a demonstration.

I wouldn't go to a local park anyway, you'd get arrested for sure.

(Erie County)

I like the idea....

But, somehow I don't think this would turn out well?

(Philadelphia County)

I would think that this would cause more harm than good. What would be the purpose of doing it?
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Beaver County)

going through the effort of organizing a gathering of openly armed citizens specifically to incite a reaction by carrying openly seems to be just that: Incitement

I am not against open carry at all. Ive done it in Pittsburgh, and I do it in WV. If I were out with friends, and we all happened to be carrying openly, so be it. its happened before. To make a specific point of doing it seems to be "taunting." Given the percieved intention, a disturbing the peace charge may not be entirely out of order.

Not talking down, just talking.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by avizpls View Post
    To make a specific point of doing it seems to be "taunting." Given the percieved intention, a disturbing the peace charge may not be entirely out of order.
    Nah -- there isn't a provision in the Pa.C.S. that could (realistically) be used to achieve the end you're suggesting. Haven't seen a local one, either.

Disturbing the peace and disorderly conduct aren't "catch all" provisions of the law. They're for very specific types of offenses -- if they weren't, they'd be unconstitutional on both state and federal grounds.

I, personally, like the idea of an open carry thing at some point. Not in Philadelphia, and not in a park. Dinner near a carry friendly location (like a range) is a good idea.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Perry County)

It would seem to me that the only "statement" that would be made would be a push for acceptance of Open Carry, which I do not think is a good idea. If you are going to carry, best to do it concealed. Plus the chances of having some cop want to stick me with some sort of charge whether it's disorderly, disturbing or considering it a rally without a license isn't acceptable. I cherish my clean criminal record (not ever a speeding ticket). My two cents only.

Dave G.

(Tioga County)

Arrested for what. What is the charge? If it's a municipal park I can't see the charge. A federal park is a different matter.

Another suggestion would be an open air cafe type setting visible to the public. In this case you would need the cooperation of the operator of said private place. Ok, a morning at the range followed by a lunch break. Just friends doing lunch. Granted doing it all over the state at the same time would raise some eyebrows but it would be real hard to prove it was a demonstration.

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    By the mere suggestion here we'd be demonstrating, which may require a licence.

If we all wanted to meet and go shooting then happen to hit a resturant later, that wouldn't be a demonstration.

I wouldn't go to a local park anyway, you'd get arrested for sure.
    Last edited by rwilson452; December 19th, 2006 at 01:45 PM. Reason: add air

(Montgomery County)

I'm all for meeting up with others for a shoot and going out to lunch afterwards. I see no porblem open carrying and I wouldn't be looking for a pro anything resturant, just one that we all wanted to go to. If they kick us out we go to the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    I'm all for meeting up with others for a shoot and going out to lunch afterwards. I see no porblem open carrying and I wouldn't be looking for a pro anything resturant, just one that we all wanted to go to. If they kick us out we go to the next one.
    And call the media.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast