Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Day

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Open Carry Day

I've opened carried years ago, in the mid 70's with no problems.

Since then, people's perceptions have changed. The drugs, gangs and overall robberies and personal attacks have people paranoid.

I would rather have no one know that I'm carrying anything. And that's including other CCW's.

Trust, as I used to know it, has gone out the window. When a so called friend turns on you for no reason and you don't know it, it changes everything that you believed in.

In other words, I think that this a bad idea. Your just asking for trouble and in doing so, it will find you.

But you can still do it another way. The CCW way. Everyone can meet and have a great lunch and still be carrying but CCW.

Now we all will know something that everyone in the eatery doesn't know. Good for us, we win all the way around.

(Tioga County)

Late Spring? that would give plenty of time to get it glued together.

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    If i had enough people interested, I would take command of this and do it. Give me 50 people that would and I'll get you a permit.

(Delaware County)

Time and place is all that is needed.

Easier said than done!!

A place that's fairly easy and not too far. Some place that's centrally located to all who are going to participate.

The time may be tricky, to be able to fit it in our busy schedules.

But I will find the time, that's not a problem for me but the place. It depends on where the "place" is located will dictate attendance.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by armabill View Post
    But you can still do it another way. The CCW way. Everyone can meet and have a great lunch and still be carrying but CCW.

Now we all will know something that everyone in the eatery doesn't know. Good for us, we win all the way around.
    I like that idea a lot too!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by armabill View Post
    I've opened carried years ago, in the mid 70's with no problems.

Since then, people's perceptions have changed. The drugs, gangs and overall robberies and personal attacks have people paranoid.

I would rather have no one know that I'm carrying anything. And that's including other CCW's.

Trust, as I used to know it, has gone out the window. When a so called friend turns on you for no reason and you don't know it, it changes everything that you believed in.

In other words, I think that this a bad idea. Your just asking for trouble and in doing so, it will find you.

Thanks for your opinion. Know anyone that wants to join in an open carry demonstration? I heard all the arguments for and against open carry they both have fine points. I love the idea of open carry, if only to educate others.
    Last edited by whoshisface; December 20th, 2006 at 02:30 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by threeonebravo View Post
    I'm on the fence on this, but if done properly you can count me in.

Generally, I'm not a big believer on open carry though, you're a bigger target in more than one way, and the element of surprise is gone. (imagine for instance, you're in line at a deli or other fast food place where you back is to the door, someone walks in wanting to rob the place, or just crazy.. sees you with a gun, you're the first shot before any kind of announcement of intentions)

In anycase, not meaning to hijack the thread there on open carry vs concealed, just trying to point out why I'm not really big on it. As I said, I'd do it though, but as the next weeks pass it's going to finally get cold I'd imagine, so warmer weather is preferred. I'm not going to freeze my butt off in just a sweater/jeans to show that I'm open carrying, because a jacket would obviously conceal this.

That's the beauty of winter, I don't have to have a smaller pistol jammed in my waistband, versus a more comfortably held larger pistol outside my waist/under my shoulder, covered by a vest or jacket.
    As for after the shoot

I would argue that if someone wanting to rob the place saw you and your buddies packing they would rob some other place.

How in the hell do cops get away with it

As for the demonstration

While carrying at a legally organized open carry demonstration, arrying conceled would be silly.
    Last edited by whoshisface; December 20th, 2006 at 02:31 PM.

(Montgomery County)

List of people that say they are in for a trip to the target range and dinner afterwards. We'll see if we have enough to actually bother with a demonstration if not we'll just get together for a shoot. I'll plot everyones location and find a weighted middle point based on how many we get from each area.

Maybe an east vs. west shoot, we'll post scores.

Updated time:1:36 pm 12/20

ExceltoExcel - Limerick - Open carry
    Rwilson452 - Tioga (Elkland) - Open carry
    threeonebravo - Royersford- Open carry
    ARAMBILL - Delaware county-?
    Glock22xd9 -Sewickley, Pennsylvania (Allegheny County) -?
    djturnz-GBURG, Pennsylvania (Adams County)-?
    LittleRedToyota -Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania -?
    DeltaII5 - Pennsylvania (Erie County) =?
    Last edited by whoshisface; December 20th, 2006 at 04:26 PM.

(Beaver County)

A CCW demonstration! haha I can see a bunch of people standing there staring at us:

person 1: "what are they doing?"
    person 2: "I think they are demonstrating their right to...demonstrate rights."
    person 3: "or just stand there"
    person 1: "oh"

(Erie County)

How bout we organize and East and West open carry day. I don't mind driving down to Pittsburgh from Erie (unpacks Browns clothing).

(Allegheny County)

i'll take part if i am available on whatever day this thing ends up happening. i would be willing to drive to the eastern half of the state to do it. it would be cool to meet some of yinz in person anyway.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast