Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Day

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Open Carry Day

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    I'm all for meeting up with others for a shoot and going out to lunch afterwards. I see no porblem open carrying and I wouldn't be looking for a pro anything resturant, just one that we all wanted to go to. If they kick us out we go to the next one.
    I like this idea and I like SGT's 2 cents on calling the media too. Sounds like the only way to ensure our safety!

When the cop gets there he's gonna freak out. I would not want to walk up on several visibly armed men in a diner.

He's gonna call back-up and we're all gonna be on the ground in cuffs before we know it.

If someone gets smart before we all get arrested, and starts throwing the 2nd amendment around, we're not gettin the nice treatment.

We could lose our carry permits like I have heard so much about in Philly.

I'd be up for it though. Do it somewhere close and I'm there.
    I know a lil about a lot, but I don't know a lot about anything!

(Beaver County)

I like this idea and I like SGT's 2 cents on calling the media too. Sounds like the only way to ensure our safety!
    Actually, it sounds like a sure way to make sure that your arrest is made public and that "several armed men" are taken down and the cops are heralded as brave heros.

whose side do you think the media is on!?! If you need to "ensure safety" then maybe you should forgo the entire thing. There is nothing good that can come of this. Its likely that the result will make the participants' lives pure litigative hell, and that things will be made worse for law abiding firearm-owning citizens.

I can not urge strongly enough that this NOT be done in the manner(s) suggested. Open carry is fine. Making a demonstration out of it and inticing police action is NOT.
    Last edited by avizpls; December 19th, 2006 at 05:00 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by avizpls View Post
    pure litigative hell
    After almost 7 years as a litigator, I can assure you that the phrase "litigative hell" is more than a bit redundant in any context. :P

That said, I doubt much would come of it. I've never had a problem open carrying; whether alone or in a group.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    After almost 7 years as a litigator, I can assure you that the phrase "litigative hell" is more than a bit redundant in any context. :P

That said, I doubt much would come of it. I've never had a problem open carrying; whether alone or in a group.
    but, I'm guessing here, you were ONLY carrying. Not intentionally calling attention to yourself, demonstrating, and phoning the media. I too have open carried (most often in Downtown Pittsburgh and Oakland . I think it is a very viable method of carrying if done properly.

What is being proposed is not needed though. If we were to schedule a day where we all open carried in the course of our day, that'd be great. We should not assemble to do it in a confrontational manner though.

(Northumberland County)

News flash!!! Not all LEO's are antigun... Nor are all their organizations... It would be very viable to set something up properly so that you notified the local LEO's and found a friendly restaurant, While at the same time notifying the local media.

If you are going to do something like this, do it smart. I would look at it more of a demonstration to the raise in crime rate, not a pro open carry. It would be a sign that there are citizens out there who will stand up for themselves and not allow themselves to become victims.

And like I said about the LEO's not all local media is anti gun. You could get a story written something like this. Several armed men entered x today and something amazing happened... Nothing... And then what the group was really about.

If you start this in a safe environment, you set a precedent, and that precedent can be replicated in different areas of the state.

(Montgomery County)

I'll bet $100 to $1 that if we open carry nearly anywhere 15-20 miles outside of philly we won't get arrested or really harassed.

We'd just hand over a few documents showing the surpreme court ruling and our LTCFs (those who have them) and it would be done with.

Calling the media isn't worth it.

Now if you want to have a open carry parade I'll get the permit, what town?
    Last edited by whoshisface; December 20th, 2006 at 09:52 AM.

(Adams County)

Why not have a rally/ demonstration/ or parade? Get a permit, find a sponsor to pay for printed material outlining all the court decisions that we like to quote. Pull the actual verbage from the laws that apply and get the word out.

I'm sure that there are people that don't even know carrying a gun is legal.
    There are probably plenty that have no idea how easy it is to get a permit in PA
    And probably many that don't know that Open carry is legal too.

You could probably even get some one to sponsort gun locks to hand out.

And of course all the rally workers should be carrying, preferably open. (Otherwide it wouldn't matter if they were carrying) If it was local, I'd do it.

(Beaver County)

abohrent ideas. Thats my opinion.

There are probably plenty that have no idea how easy it is to get a permit in PA
    I preffer it stay that way, frankly. Those who honestly want a gun for protection seek out the laws. I fear that if we raise the awareness, and flaunt court cases saying there is no law, therefore it is legal, we'll GET laws saying its illegal. That will be the irrational response from fence sitters and anit gunners alike. "We need to make it harder to get a gun. We need to have liscnenses for open carry, or we need no open carry at all."

There is no benefit in making people unconfortable by gathering in large armed groups.

If we want to raise awareness, hand out flyers. Suppose ferraris were frowned upon and nearly universally feared as being dangerous mobile coffins. What is being proposed is akin to trying to prove that Ferraris are safe and legal, and then flying down the road in a caravan-scaring the bejesus out of the mini-van drivers. Its too much at once. The correct way to do it would be to host a car show. After the people recognize that your ferrari isnt going to harm anything, then you take it out for a spin.

Does ANYone see what I mean? Where I am coming from?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    Why not have a rally/ demonstration/ or parade? Get a permit, find a sponsor to pay for printed material outlining all the court decisions that we like to quote. Pull the actual verbage from the laws that apply and get the word out.

You could probably even get some one to sponsort gun locks to hand out.

And of course all the rally workers should be carrying, preferably open. (Otherwide it wouldn't matter if they were carrying) If it was local, I'd do it.
    If i had enough people interested, I would take command of this and do it. Give me 50 people that would and I'll get you a permit.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    If i had enough people interested, I would take command of this and do it. Give me 50 people that would and I'll get you a permit.
    I'm on the fence on this, but if done properly you can count me in.

Generally, I'm not a big believer on open carry though, you're a bigger target in more than one way, and the element of surprise is gone. (imagine for instance, you're in line at a deli or other fast food place where you back is to the door, someone walks in wanting to rob the place, or just crazy.. sees you with a gun, you're the first shot before any kind of announcement of intentions)

In anycase, not meaning to hijack the thread there on open carry vs concealed, just trying to point out why I'm not really big on it. As I said, I'd do it though, but as the next weeks pass it's going to finally get cold I'd imagine, so warmer weather is preferred. I'm not going to freeze my butt off in just a sweater/jeans to show that I'm open carrying, because a jacket would obviously conceal this.

That's the beauty of winter, I don't have to have a smaller pistol jammed in my waistband, versus a more comfortably held larger pistol outside my waist/under my shoulder, covered by a vest or jacket.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast