Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Can we add to rep in the "view profile" section?

I don't see a way to do it. But, I think it would be a good idea. When I noticed that I recieved rep from another member I look upo their profile and would like to have a way to give it back without having to go find one of their posts, esp if the reason for giving the rep has nothing to do with a post.

Or is there already a way to do this and I just don't know it yet. Thanks.

Dave.
    3%

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Can we add to rep in the "view profile" section?

Easy way around it would be to look up the profile, then click "Find all posts by user". That will spit out some of the threads they have posted in. You may find some of their idea mesh with yours, and if not, you stall have a post that gives access to the scales.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Philadelphia County)

The whole point of a rep system isn't to just toss it around willy nilly because someone is your friend or because they gave it to you.

Rep is meant for giving kudos to people for posting good, well-thought-out, helpful, informative posts.

If people are just giving rep out for any old reason, it defeats the purpose of the system and we might as well disable it.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(York County)

I don't think we need to disable it for gods sake. I was just asking if there was a faster way to do it that did not involve having to find a certain post by that person. If I get rep from someone I tend to look out for their posts and pay more attention to them. As far as giving it just because I got it from someone else, the system seems to suggest that you do just that by saying " Thanks for adding to the rep of this user. Maybe you will be lucky enough to recieve it in return".

P.S. Thaks for the help MrUgly
    3%

You shouldn't be more responsive to someone because they gave you reputation points. Judgement is for character.

(Allegheny County)

Sometimes I give rep to a person for what they did offline, face-to-face. I understand the impulse, but in a rare case like that it's not difficult to also find a post you agree with and tack on "Thanks for XXXX the other day, I appreciate it!"

No need to get too complicated with it...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    As far as giving it just because I got it from someone else, the system seems to suggest that you do just that by saying "Thanks for adding to the rep of this user. Maybe you will be lucky enough to recieve it in return".
    Yes, that text is ambiguous and can be interpreted as supporting simple reciprocal rep-whoring. I'm glad that danp has now clarified that this is *not* the intention of the rep system:
    Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    Rep is meant for giving kudos to people for posting good, well-thought-out, helpful, informative posts.
    Of course, it's natural to wish to reciprocate for someone who gave you rep. However, I would urge finding one of their posts that meet danp's criteria or waiting for the member to write such a post. Think of it this way: It's nice to receive a positive rep for a particularly good post. But a rep for a not-particularly-high-quality post can feel insincere.

(York County)

I agree with all DanP's criteria. I was just curious if we could do it by other means. No real reason for wanting to do it I was just curious.

Thanks for all the info.

BB
    3%

(Chester County)

Apparently I just received reputation from someone but i have no idea how to see who gave it to me. Can anyone help? Thanks

please disregard. Just found the sticky
    Last edited by lourendo; October 22nd, 2012 at 12:35 AM.
    “The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny. Not to hunt.” Ice-T