Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PA Rifle Purchase by NYC resident

Hi all, I posted this in another section to respond to a similar post, but then I realized it was the Pikes County section.

I am a NYC resident and holder of a NYC premises handgun license ("allowing" me to keep registered handguns in my home). But I do not currently have a NYC rifle/shotgun permit, and hesitate to fork over the $240 necessary to obtain one.

I have a vacation home in beautiful Luzerne County (where my ancestors first settled when they came to the U.S. over a century ago). I would like to keep some rifles there for target shooting at Whitetail Preserve in Bloomsburg and to hopefully take part in some competitions throughout the region. (Specifically, I'm looking for an M1 Garand, a Springfield M1A, and a Colt MT 6700).

As far as PA law is concerned, do I need to have a NYC rifle/shotgun permit in order to purchase a rifle in PA that I will only keep in PA? Also, am I allowed to purchase rifles that I would not be able to possess in NYC? (The M1A and the Colt are both considered "assault weapons" in NYC).

I hate to think that being a NYC resident will follow me around like a scourge, but I fear that this may indeed be the case.

Unfortunately, surrendering my NYC residency for PA residency is not an option at the moment, as this would mean losing my NYC handgun license (and therefore losing the ability to defend myself in my home).

Thank you for your help!

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: PA Rifle Purchase by NYC resident

Technically you could buy long guns in PA. Any that were forbidden in NYC would have to be kept in PA. However, finding a dealer who will sell you a long gun that is forbidden in NYC may be a tough thing to do.

Any guns going back to NYC would require a rifle/shotgun permit. I'm not sure if your premises pistol permit will cover long guns too. You might want to contact the NYPD to see if it does.

Any FFL would have good reason to deny a sale if you don't have your NYC rifle/shotgun permit. And even more reason not to sell anything that is banned within NYS/NYC.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

^ Thank you for responding! I greatly appreciate it.

My NYC handgun license does not cover rifles & shotguns--even though the background check is much more extensive for the handgun license, I'd still need a separate rifle/shotgun permit.

That's kind of what I figured--the law says that dealers can sell to me, but it's up to their discretion. Honestly, I can't blame them for not wanting to sell to a NYC resident, with all of Bloomberg's shenanigans.

Maybe I'll ask around the local gun shops the next time I'm in PA. I'll definitely be polite with them, so hopefully they will respond in kind, even if they won't sell to me.

(NYC gun dealers such as John Jovino's and Ironworks (now closed) are notorious for being rude to everyone who is not a LEO, but I suspect everyone is friendlier in a more civilized place like PA.)
    Last edited by .357MagNYC; December 25th, 2012 at 06:16 PM.

I think the chance, pics might pic up and honor state rules?
    Say they backdoor call NYC, and NYC gets buggery, and searches your house while you are handcuffed to the door of a squad car?.

Hey, which(red dot) house is yours on that Garnnet paper site?
    I talk jibberoush. pay attention.

(Wayne County)

Just ask them. Some will sell you. Some will not. You may have more luck dealing with small shops. But they will charge you more $$. Find FFL that will do transfer for you and shop online. Rifles are perfectly OK to buy. Not all are willing to sell. Which is so stupid. The refuse to sell savage .22 rifle but ok to sell you 5.56 or 308 ammo.
    Last edited by BB MBD; December 25th, 2012 at 06:42 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by .357MagNYC View Post
    (NYC gun dealers such as John Jovino's and Ironworks (now closed) are notorious for being rude to everyone who is not a LEO, but I suspect everyone is friendlier in a more civilized place like PA.)
    If you do find yourself in need of either a gunsmith or just someone to place an order through inside New York City, check out Majestic Arms on Staten Island. Dino, the owner and gunsmith there, has a bit of a rough exterior, but he's a great guy once you get to talking with him and he does good work. When I still lived there, that's who I went to.

With that said, here's hoping you can someday make your vacation home your permanent home!

(Northampton County)

I would actually pursue this if you want to. Don't be intimidated because of the way NY treats you.

As far as ATF is concerned, if you really, truly, personally own a vacation property in PA, you are a resident of PA for the purposes of buying firearms while you reside there. Even if it's only one day per year. During that time, NY and NYC can go screw themselves and PA doesn't care either.

The issue is that PA gun dealers want to see a PA driver's license because they are not going to sell rifles to a person they believe to be an NY resident that are illegal in NY.

This is not the end of the world. It simply means you need to contact some PA FFLs and explain the situation, and find some that understand the law and will make you provide some documentation proving you are a part-time PA resident. I'm guessing the easiest way to find some would be posting on this forum and asking around.

Simply walking into a PA gun shop with an NY driver's license is not likely to do it.

(Wayne County)

It worked just fine in the past. Just go to Gander mountain and they will sell you any long rifle with NYC ID. Hunters gallery will not.

Maybe recent event changed they policy but in the past gander was a go to place.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by BB MBD View Post
    It worked just fine in the past. Just go to Gander mountain and they will sell you any long rifle with NYC ID.
    No they won't. If an FFL sells a long gun to a resident of a different state they MUST make sure the long gun is legal in his state of residency. (I am not an FFL or lawyer, but them's the rules in general).

A NYC ID will not allow him to buy long guns that are illegal in NY. He has to demonstrate to the FFL that he is a part time resident of PA to buy banned long guns, hand guns, machineguns, silencers, or anything else that are illegal in NY.

Thanks for all your advice, everyone. I guess I shouldn't give up hope yet, at least until I've asked around and given it a try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast