Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Headed South for the Winter

Thats exactly the way I go, I haven't done the straight down 95 route in about 4 years. The whole Baltimore-Washington traffic jam experence isn't worth the distance it saves. The I-81 route adds about 2 hours to the first day of the trip but it is well worth the extra time plus I get to stop and visit with friends near Charolette NC. It take me 3 days to make the trip all the way to the Keys and my overnight stops are in North Carolina and near Daytona Fl., both "Gun Friendly" areas with a PA. LTCF.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewussor View Post
    Take the back way. Head west to I81 south, to I77 south, to I26 east, to I95 south. That route avoids DE entirely and you're only in MD for 15 miles.

Yes, it's a bit longer. But its much less stressful than going down I95 the whole way, and depending just how jammed up I95 is around DC, it may not cost you any time at all to go that way.

I believe that as long as the firearm is in a case unloaded (lock saftey if possible) mags unloaded also, ammo in a container apart form the firearm and out of reach. that sould be exceptable. I would check with the State laws that dont except PA. LTCF. BTW the weather is awsome here right now!! Have a safe trip!
    3%er "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.." -G. K. Chesterton

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ewussor View Post
    Take the back way. Head west to I81 south, to I77 south, to I26 east, to I95 south. That route avoids DE entirely and you're only in MD for 15 miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph_tech View Post
    Thats exactly the way I go
    Then you're golden everywhere except SC and the 15 miles through MD. SC is no biggie since they allow a loaded handgun in the glovebox. MD is hopeless. Some people even advise unloading your magazine(s) in MD. I don't think FOPA requires this, but unless you're willing to make a federal case out of it (which would cost a pile of money for good attorney), you might want to play it safe and invest in two different lockable boxes, one for the pistol and one for unloaded magazines.

(Bucks County)

I just ordered (2) Nanovault lockable cases with tether cables, hopefully that will keep everyone happy in the states that don't have reciprocity agreements with Pa.

(Lancaster County)

Just obey the speed limit for 15 miles in on 81 MD and you'll be fine however you separetly store your gun and ammo in the back, as long as its easily out of reach and inaccessible. I wouldn't sweat it if you obey the speed limit and don't have an accident. If you we're taking 95 than that's a longer route and I'd say put your unloaded gun in one suit case and the ammo in another suitcase, both hidden deeply in a pocket, and again obey all speed limits. Wtf are you suppose to do since you don't have a trunk? Like I said just make sure are both unloaded and out of reach and inaccessible from any passengers. Take the short route or travel West to Pittsburgh and take 79 to avoid MD.
    Last edited by sigsauer357; December 26th, 2012 at 09:25 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12