Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Storage unit for firearms near East Stroudsburg.

Hi all,

Okay so this is my situation, I am a police officer in the NYPD living in NYC. Under NYC law even police officers cannot possess AR-15 style weapons and I am concerned that new federal laws might pass enacting another "assault weapons" ban. So I figured I need to get something similar to an AR-15 before its too late.

I cannot possess it in NYC, so I figured the best place to purchase and store it would be in Pennsylvania. I dont live there but do go shooting here on occasion. I have a few questions:

Does anyone recomend a storage unit place where I can rent space to store weaponry? I dont need a 5x5 foot area, but a real small one, literally just large enough to store one or two AR-15 style rifles with magazines and ammo for them. I would obviously prefer a place that I can access 24/7.

I dont need to be a Pennsylvania resident to be able to get a permit for gun ownership in Pennsylvania, right?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Storage unit for firearms near East Stroudsburg.

My safest suggestion would be find a good friend in PA and keep the weapons with them...

I mean good friend so they dont go running off with your weapons...Ive held guns for a few friends, some he let me shoot, others he did not

No permit needed to own a gun in PA, just a LTCF to conceal a weapon on the person or in the vehicle..

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    My safest suggestion would be find a good friend in PA and keep the weapons with them...

I mean good friend so they dont go running off with your weapons...Ive held guns for a few friends, some he let me shoot, others he did not

No permit needed to own a gun in PA, just a LTCF to conceal a weapon on the person or in the vehicle..
    Be careful with this advice... The OP could be involved with illegally transferring the guns with your advice.

If he finds a friend to store them, the PA resident would not be able to have access to them at all.

(Bucks County)

Ahh thats right state to state...im thinking all inside PA transactions here with long guns...

Not sure what the law states for this type of situation from state to state

My friend lived in PA and I lived in PA so it was all gravy

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1775 View Post
    Hi all,

Okay so this is my situation, I am a police officer in the NYPD living in NYC. Under NYC law even police officers cannot possess AR-15 style weapons and I am concerned that new federal laws might pass enacting another "assault weapons" ban. So I figured I need to get something similar to an AR-15 before its too late.

I cannot possess it in NYC, so I figured the best place to purchase and store it would be in Pennsylvania. I dont live there but do go shooting here on occasion. I have a few questions:

Does anyone recomend a storage unit place where I can rent space to store weaponry? I dont need a 5x5 foot area, but a real small one, literally just large enough to store one or two AR-15 style rifles with magazines and ammo for them. I would obviously prefer a place that I can access 24/7.

I dont need to be a Pennsylvania resident to be able to get a permit for gun ownership in Pennsylvania, right?
    While I cannot comment on NY/NYC possession, in order to buy in PA I believe you'll need to ship to a NY dealer to complete the transfer. (Ill let a few of the more knowledgeable members clarify THIS point).

As for actually keeping a rifle here - PA does NOT have any sort of registration (well, the quasi-illegal sales database... that's a different story, but bottom line, NO REGISTRATION).

Then there is actually accessibility - Im unaware of any-place that is big enough and secure enough that I would be comfortable with in storing a weapon while I was 75 miles away - you might want to look into a range/store in the Easton area (right off I78 - a 90 minute drive with moderate traffic from the city) that you could work out an arrangement with. THere are also some forum members in the area as well that have private safes, although I would not personally partake in this type of arrangement even if you are an officer - just me though. I would respectfully insist that you have a PA LTCF, however I wouldn't give up 24/7 access to my home and honestly we don't know each other.

Lastly - I did have a neighbour that worked for the NYC DA's office... pretty senior investigator / sergeant (something like that)... ask around as he lived in PA for some time and worked in NYC. One thing I can attest to is the cost-of-living savings is substantial... and the commute is a 2hr bus ride that I did for several years myself!

As we say, freedom begins for the Eastern residents of this country right at the PA line... either I80 or I-78 westbound gets out here

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    Ahh thats right state to state...im thinking all inside PA transactions here with long guns...

Not sure what the law states for this type of situation from state to state

My friend lived in PA and I lived in PA so it was all gravy
    INTERstate transfers are governed by Federal law.
    Long guns have to be transferred by an FFL in either state.

Now a transfer might not be needed but it gets hairy...
    How will the OP actually transport the guns to PA legally (LEOSA?)and as far as storage with a PA buddy... Guns cant be in that persons possession (unless maybe hunting). He'd have to lock them in a safe and ask his buddy to store the safe

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    INTERstate transfers are governed by Federal law.
    Long guns have to be transferred by an FFL in either state.

Now a transfer might not be needed but it gets hairy...
    How will the OP actually transport the guns to PA legally (LEOSA?)and as far as storage with a PA buddy... Guns cant be in that persons possession (unless maybe hunting). He'd have to lock them in a safe and ask his buddy to store the safe
    Idk if im reading this wrong BUT PA residents FTF transfer of long guns is legal without FFL tranfer

Thanks for the quick replies.. I guess a sticking point is that I am not looking to take the rifle out of pennsylvania, so even though I am a new york resident It would be bought in pennsylvania, and stored there. Not entering NY with it. But seemingly you guys are saying that since I am only a resident of NYS that it would need to conform with NYS laws even if it never enters NYS. In which case the only way around this would be to have a dual residency (NYS and PA)?

(Monroe County)

Hi all,

That little whisper in me is screaming don't do it, TROLL, but I'll play.

First off I would not recommend storing anything like that in a storage unit unless you also have a safe to put in there to lock it in. Storage units are not safe proof and do get broken in to. If you have a close friend that you trust living in PA to store it with them, locked up or with a trigger lock of course, I wold do that.

Second, there is no permit for gun ownership in PA, you have to pass a PICS check to buy anything from a FFL. Shop around before you buy. I just heard at the latest show that some were gouging with prices.

Best to read up on the laws before you buy anything or call a reputable FFL to answer your questions. Getting advice on a forum is not always the best place to get it from.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for the quick replies.. I guess a sticking point is that I am not looking to take the rifle out of pennsylvania, so even though I am a new york resident It would be bought in pennsylvania, and stored there. Not entering NY with it. But seemingly you guys are saying that since I am only a resident of NYS that it would need to conform with NYS laws even if it never enters NYS. In which case the only way around this would be to have a dual residency (NYS and PA)?
    Pretty much how I read it. I dont know how your going to (legally) buy and take possession of an AR in PA without being a resident.

Really sucks having Bloomburgs lovely laws affect the LEGAL ownership of an inanimate object, doesn't it? This is a perfect example of where a criminal would simply trample the law, but the law-abiding citizen gets screwed with red tape an bureaucracy by simply following the rules.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast