Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Mags over 31 rounds?

So I was having a conversation with a friend the other day about high-capacity magazines. I seemed to remember reading something on here about magazines with a capacity over 30 rounds make a gun classified as a machine gun. I can't find the thread now, and would like to know, just for my own peace of mind.

Does inserting a loaded magazine with a capacity of over 30 rounds mean that legally I am using a "machine gun?"

If so, does that mean if I don't have an NFA stamp that I would be breaking the law if I did use a magazine with a capacity over 30 rounds?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Mags over 31 rounds?

The above does not apply in Pennsylvania. I am sure there is some strange, Byzantine state where that may be the case. Pennsylvania has no such regulation, nor should it.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Dauphin County)

I don't think magazine capacity determines if its a machine gun, I would think it would be the function of the firearm itself. Selectable fire or automatic fire I believe is what determines it a machine gun.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    I don't think magazine capacity determines if its a machine gun, I would think it would be the function of the firearm itself. Selectable fire or automatic fire I believe is what determines it a machine gun.
    Do not try to use "common sense" or any logical approach to anticipating a law. I did some research and Ohio and their absurd legislature classifies a "machine gun" as:

Ohio 30+ Round Magazines
    2923.11 Weapons control definitions.
    As used in sections 2923.11 to 2923.24 of the Revised Code:
    www.handgunlaw.us
    (A) “Deadly weapon” means any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon.
    (B)(1) “Firearm” means any deadly weapon capable of expelling or propelling one or more projectiles by the action of an explosive or combustible propellant. “Firearm” includes an unloaded firearm, and any firearm that is inoperable but that can readily be rendered operable.
    (2) When determining whether a firearm is capable of expelling or propelling one or more projectiles by the action of an explosive or combustible propellant, the trier of fact may rely upon circumstantial evidence, including, but not limited to, the representations and actions of the individual exercising control over the firearm.
    (E) “Automatic firearm” means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. “Automatic firearm” also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.

My point, whatever you think the law is, it just might be wrong. Ohio has absurd gun control laws and this "machine gun" code is just one piece of their absurd reasoning.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

If that were the case, they wouldn't be out of stock every place you look.

Just a few mags that exceed 30 rounds - all just as legal to own and use as any other magazine under 30 rounds.

33 rd Glock

50 rd .22LR AR15

32 rd Uzi

40 rd .223 AR15

(Beaver County)

Thanks for the replies everyone!

(Allegheny County)

100 rd AR15 drum

(Dauphin County)