Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Buying the classics

So I'm trying to make a list of full size pistols that I'd like to purchase before any ban - if for anything just so I get the full mags with it. I'm tinkering with the idea of making a list of pistols that by today's measure are no longer the best options due to better, lighter, higher capacity.... blah blah blah. Kind of like the "classics" that you own just for the sake of owning them and not really even using them at the range. So one comes to mind - the Beretta 92FS. I know - calling this a classic is a stretch but it was one of the original "wonder nines".

So I'm wondering variant would be the best to own - the U.S. made M9 or the Italian made 92FS? I'm not a collector but I figure if I pick one I might as well pick the most desirable one.

Also looking for suggestions on other pistols that fit this scheme - barring the obvious like 1911.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Buying the classics

The Browning Hi Power and the CZ 75.

Technically you could probably just buy high capacity mags for them. I doubt any gun designs will be banned.

Everyone should have a Glock 17, the original plastic pistol. The Sig P226 is another classic high capacity pistol.

(Luzerne County)

Classics?

Browning Hi-Power, Luger P08, Walther P38. Anything built after them are upstarts.

My neo-classic of choice would be the Smith & Wesson Model 39 which hit the market in 1955.
    Last edited by XTrooper; December 23rd, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
    Steve: NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired), NRA LE Firearms Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by XTrooper View Post
    Classics?

Browning Hi-Power, Luger P08, Walther P38. Anything built after them are upstarts.

My neo-classic of choice would be the Smith & Wesson Model 39 which hit the market in 1955.
    The Smith 39 is a single stack. The model 59 is the double stack high capacity model.

(Schuylkill County)

Your looking to buy a classic high cap pistol before any ban? Look at A Sig Sauer P-226. IMO thats the best high cap out there.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikal90 View Post
    Your looking to buy a classic high cap pistol before any ban? Look at A Sig Sauer P-226. IMO thats the best high cap out there.
    I almost did last week. I picked up and played with the MK25 a few times and was thinking - $950 for a gun that's way too heavy to do anything with, but I guess that's what it's intended for - a combat pistol. I might try to get a used regular 226 - maybe one that was actually made in Germany. This way the cost isn't as steep for something I won't be using or not using very often.

I do like the idea of the hi-power - my brother just bought one and when I asked why he said - "because I just had to have one - it's a legend".
    Last edited by galvanni; December 23rd, 2012 at 03:56 PM.

I would vote for Beretta M9 (just picked one up yesterday), Browning HiPower and SIG P226/229.

Had a satin nickel CZ75. Great gun, good luck finding a holster though.

I never was a fan of plastic framed pistols regardless of maker.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    The Smith 39 is a single stack. The model 59 is the double stack high capacity model.
    Correct, but I'm missing your point if you're trying to make one.
    Steve: NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired), NRA LE Firearms Instructor

(Lycoming County)

Desert Eagle .50

Since it's a .50 cal the anti's think it's for anti-armor and can shoot down planes.

Remember the NY Governor who thought a .50 cal muzzleoader was a 50 BMG and could shoot down a plane?

Could only find a bit of the story from a thread on thehighroad.org

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-324730.html
    December 19, 2007, 11:34 AM
    January 2008 issue of American Rifleman page 71. New York Governor Spitzer promises to "look into the "problem"of antique and muzzloading guns."
    The article would be funny if there was a cure for stupid. The article sights a statement that a 50 cal.(muzzleloader) "is the most powerful sniper rifle available to civilians" and that the gun was a"weapon designed to shoot down civilian aircraft during takeoff and landing" Obviously they've got the 50 cal. muzzleloader mistaken for the 50 cal. bmg guns.
    The sickening thing is that these people aren't even a little concerned that they got it wrong and that 30 seconds of research on the internet would have educated them. Once again I state, THERE IS NO CURE FOR STUPID!

Anyways I'm sure the Desert Eagle would be on their "list" if they can only ban certain semi-autos.

(Montgomery County)

Could not agree more with the later posters. Browning HP; SW Model 39 and 59; P08, P38, CZ75, P226, Beretta FS. Even if some are single stack and some are double, these are the classics that led the pack at the time of their introduction. If you really want to be a purist in terms of DA/SA then I would add the PPK and PP in 32 ACP. All are metal guns, not plastic. I might add I have all of them plus others that could work their way in. Dave_n

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast