Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield XD

Default Springfield XD

I dont own one but ive picked up a few and I gotta say, they seem really uncomfortable. For me it just doesnt form to my hand. I dont see how it could mold to anyones hand because the isnt really and grooves for the fingers. Anyone else feel this way? For you Springfield XD carriers, what makes you like the pistol?

Default Re: Springfield XD

I like that it molds into my hand and feels comfortable while shooting. I also like the grip safety.

Lots of people think that glocks form into your hand nicely, but I have the same feeling about them as you do the XD...its all relative to the user.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(Berks County)

The grip angle is much more comfortable for me than others of a similar vain. I have Glocks and I have XDs, I am much more apt to have one of the XDs because they are much more comfortable for me and they are some of the softest shooting firearms that I have had the pleasure of using.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Berks County)

While most people say that either Glocks or XDs feel better to them, I own both and like them both equally. Neither of them touch my 1911 when it comes to overall perfect hand fit, though. Weird.

(Philadelphia County)

I'm not sure what you mean by uncomfortable. There's nothing that bites my hand when I shoot them (I have 3 XDs) and they all shoot well. I use them in IDPA matches and do pretty good. Carry one of them all the time.

I chose the XDs for a number of reasons, one being the grip safety, the other being the grip angle. They are natural shooters if you're used to the more 1911-ish grip angle.

Still want to get an RRA 1911 but I have to save a little longer for that.

Whatever you're thinking about buying, see if you can shoot one first. Most ranges rent XDs same as they rent Glocks. They're both not exactly hard to find.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAHF View Post
    For you Springfield XD carriers, what makes you like the pistol?
    I tried numerous handguns till I opted for the XD. It felt good in my hand. Not great mind you. But pretty good.

It was once I got it home and started shooting it that it truely came alive. The pistol seems to just want to point at the target. Springfield talks about the XD having "pointing ergonomics(?)" or something like that. I guess this is what they were talking about. Nothing the pistol did while shooting was uncomfortable in any way. It was a pure pleasure to shoot.

The pistol handles really nice. It recoils and falls back on target nicely for me. I have shot a bunch of different pistols and the XD's just seem to want to group and get back on target for me faster than any other pistol.

But to each thier own. If your ever around my area, give me a yell, and we can go out shooting. I'll bring the XD's (full size and compact) and the betterhalfs M&P for you to try too.
    Last edited by Mtbkski; March 19th, 2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Nothing the pistol did while shooting was uncomfortable in any way. It was a pure pleasure to shoot.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

My wife loves hers, because it fits her like a glove. It's very comfortable for me also. Which goes to show one reason why there are so many guns

It's vital to handle a gun before you buy it, for this very reason. I was all set to buy a Para USA recently, until I handled it, and hated it. Much to my surprise, I had the same reaction to the Kimber I handled. Just hated the grip safety. Glocks are great guns, but they feel like holding a 2x4 to me. Which makes me wonder... have they changed the grip shape on those over the years? I don't remember the Model 19 I owned somewhere around 1990 feeling the same way.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Philadelphia County)

This is not meant to be an anti-Glock posting. This is merely why I chose the XD 9mm Sub-Compact over the Glock 26, which I nearly bought.

As it's my carry piece, I like the grip safety versus just one on the trigger. I like the ambidextrous magazine release. And, I like that when I release a magazine it springs out, whereas all 3-4 Glock 26's I have shot, when the magazine is empty you need to give it a (albeit slight) tug for it to come out.

Both were very comfortable to grip and shoot. I need Pearce extensions on either (not including the 16rd magazine on the XD).

Oh, and purely aesthetic, I really like the stainless slide.

-sfg

(Berks County)

It's vital to handle a gun before you buy it, for this very reason. I was all set to buy a Para USA recently, until I handled it, and hated it. Much to my surprise, I had the same reaction to the Kimber I handled. Just hated the grip safety. Glocks are great guns, but they feel like holding a 2x4 to me. Which makes me wonder... have they changed the grip shape on those over the years? I don't remember the Model 19 I owned somewhere around 1990 feeling the same way.
    So you don't like 1911s because they have a grip safety. . but you like your XD. . which has a grip safety? I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    So you don't like 1911s because they have a grip safety. . but you like your XD. . which has a grip safety? I'm confused.
    No, it's not the presence of the grip safety, it's they way they felt. Both the Kimber's and the Para's really pushed into the web of my hand, and I didn't like the way they felt. I couldn't help but think it would be irritating when shooting. OTOH, I like the ones on the S&W 1911 and the Colt 1991A1, and the Taurus PT1911. Plus, I didn't like the way the front of the grip felt on the Para.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast