Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default New to PA, question about selling a handgun.

So another member enlightened me to the fact that I have to transfer a handgun through an FFL in this wonderful state. On the Classifieds section I found the following...

"Pertinent Pennsylvania Law:

1. 1. Face To Face transfers/sales of longarms (shotgun or rifle) are legal in Pennsylvania, between PA residents. There is no requirement to use a FFL for a transfer of a longarm in PA, as long as neither person is a "prohibited person" (legally unable to purchase a firearm ) and both are legal aged(18 or older) residents of Pennsylvania. It's SUGGESTED that you provide a Bill of Sale and check ID on purchasers.

2. Concealable weapons (Handguns, rifles/MGs with a barrel less than 16", shotguns with a barrel less than 18", and AOWs) MUST be transferred through a FFL (Or Sheriffs Dept), and the PICS must be performed on the buyer before sale is completed. Age for transfer of the above weapons at an FFL is 21."

What is a PICS? Is that some kind of a background check I have to perform / pay for??

Anyone know of a good (cheap) FFL in Beaver or Allegheny counties?

ETA: I still hold an OH DL also.
    Last edited by BigFellor; December 22nd, 2012 at 08:06 PM.

(Washington County)

Default Re: New to PA, question about selling a handgun.

Usually the buyer pays the transfer fee. I use John Brown's Armory in Monaco and Federal Firearms in Oakdale.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by BigFellor View Post
    So another member enlightened me to the fact that I have to transfer a handgun through an FFL in this wonderful state. On the Classifieds section I found the following...

"Pertinent Pennsylvania Law:

1. 1. Face To Face transfers/sales of longarms (shotgun or rifle) are legal in Pennsylvania, between PA residents. There is no requirement to use a FFL for a transfer of a longarm in PA, as long as neither person is a "prohibited person" (legally unable to purchase a firearm ) and both are legal aged(18 or older) residents of Pennsylvania. It's SUGGESTED that you provide a Bill of Sale and check ID on purchasers.

2. Concealable weapons (Handguns, rifles/MGs with a barrel less than 16", shotguns with a barrel less than 18", and AOWs) MUST be transferred through a FFL (Or Sheriffs Dept), and the PICS must be performed on the buyer before sale is completed. Age for transfer of the above weapons at an FFL is 21."

What is a PICS? Is that some kind of a background check I have to perform / pay for??

Anyone know of a good (cheap) FFL in Beaver or Allegheny counties?

ETA: I still hold an OH DL also.
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...&css=L2&mode=2

About PICS (Pennsylvania Instant Check System)

The PICS was implemented on July 1, 1998. This state of the art system provides instant access to background records on an individual to determine if the person is eligible to acquire a firearm or a license to carry a firearm. The Instant Check Unit is a call center conducting the background check requests. This responsibility requires ensuring accurate identification of the subject of the background check, evaluation and research of federal, state and local records, comprehensive documentation, and maintaining positive communication with Firearm Dealers and Sheriffs.

Pennsylvania Firearm Dealers and County Sheriffs access the PICS program through a toll free telephone number, which is available for service from 8:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. seven days a week, including holidays. If an individual is eligible to acquire a firearm, the PICS background check replaces the former, mandatory five-day waiting period. Operation has shown that approximately 60% of the individuals attempting to purchase a firearm are approved within minutes.

The PICS background check program issues approval or denial determinations. By law, no record information may be disseminated as a result of the background check. If a record is identified on an individual's background check, the call is transferred to an operator. The operator then reviews the record, and if it is not prohibiting, approves the sale. If there is a question as to whether or not the record is prohibiting, the operator may place the file in research for up to 15 days. As soon as the operator has a definite answer, the dealer is called and either given an approval number or advised that the sale is denied and the individual should be given a Pennsylvania Instant Check Challenge Form.

(Beaver County)

Thanks for the link and the info sober. I guess I'll have to find a FFL around here. Back in OH there was no requirement for a background check between private parties.

(Centre County)

BigFellor,
    Your OH DL won't stop you from buying a long arm, or selling a gun. It will cause problems if you try to buy a handgun. If you have moved to PA and are taking up residence here, you should get your PA DL as soon as you can. By law, if you are now a PA resident, you only have a certain many days to get the license. Once you have a PA DL, buying a handgun is not a problem.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    BigFellor,
    Your OH DL won't stop you from buying a long arm, or selling a gun. It will cause problems if you try to buy a handgun. If you have moved to PA and are taking up residence here, you should get your PA DL as soon as you can. By law, if you are now a PA resident, you only have a certain many days to get the license. Once you have a PA DL, buying a handgun is not a problem.
    Thanks for the info, Ron. I just moved here for work and am waiting to find out if my company is staying here of moving to another state. Pending that, I'm going to look into getting a PA DL soon.

Brian